cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
RussGirod
Paper Tape
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎01-16-2018
Location: US
Views: 10,704
Message 1 of 24

Some text messages say they must be downloaded

Some of text messages don't display normally and they aren't overly big messages. There is a blue  icon with an arrow pointing down and below that is text that shows the message date and size and a message that says "Tap to download." When I click to download it, the working circle rotates around but nothing happens. I have Data turned on.

 

I just tried to download it again, many days after receiving these messages, and they actually downloaded. When I first received them, I couldn't get them to download after several attempts. Any idea why they wouldn't download then but did now?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Posts: 1,636
Registered: ‎03-04-2016
Location: IN
Views: 10,517
Message 2 of 24

Re: Some text messages say they must be downloaded

Hi RussGirod,

 

There are several reasons this could happen.

Often a group message will be converted to MMS and require a download to view the message.
If the message is too long, the carrier may, rather than break it into multiple messages, will send it as one MMS message
The message could contain attachments or images that cause it to be sent as an MMS message

 

Thanks

Sandip

RussGirod
Paper Tape
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎01-16-2018
Location: US
Views: 10,497
Message 3 of 24

Re: Some text messages say they must be downloaded

Thanks for the reply. When I was able to download the message I could see that it wasn't all that long of a message. I certainly get longer messages from the same person that don't require downloading. I don't suppose there is a setting that I can change to avoid this problem? Can I ask my carrier not to require downloading of a message? (I have Cricket) Finally, if I must see these download messages, why can't I download them at the time I get them?

 

Thanks

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Posts: 4,493
Registered: ‎12-04-2017
Location: IN
Views: 10,471
Message 4 of 24

Re: Some text messages say they must be downloaded


@RussGirod wrote:

Thanks for the reply. When I was able to download the message I could see that it wasn't all that long of a message. I certainly get longer messages from the same person that don't require downloading. I don't suppose there is a setting that I can change to avoid this problem? Can I ask my carrier not to require downloading of a message? (I have Cricket) Finally, if I must see these download messages, why can't I download them at the time I get them?

 

Thanks


Hi, RussGirod.

 

Certainly, you can check with the carrier if you are not looking to download those SMS/MMS. To further look into this, could you share us a screenshot when you receive these messages - also, do let us know if you were able to download your self at the first attempts? Was there any file attached to the messages that you were trying to open? May I know what carrier you are on?

 

Let us know how it goes?

 

Thanks,
Swaraj

Moto Support

drewkas
Paper Tape
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎11-20-2015
Location: US
Views: 10,380
Message 5 of 24

Re: Some text messages say they must be downloaded

I'm having the same issue.  The bulk of the messages are very small, between 800 bytes and 1 kb.  The messages come in as a download button with  the message "Tap to download", but the messages do not download (even days later).  This seems to be happening with group texts.  My cell provider is Ting .

HBED
Paper Tape
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎03-07-2018
Location: SE
Views: 10,342
Message 6 of 24

Re: Some text messages say they must be downloaded

In settings you can select how you want to send groupsms, individual sms or as mms. I suppose that yor friend hav to do some settings in his phone.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Posts: 6,602
Registered: ‎02-02-2016
Location: US
Views: 10,311
Message 7 of 24

Re: Some text messages say they must be downloaded


@drewkas wrote:

I'm having the same issue.  The bulk of the messages are very small, between 800 bytes and 1 kb.  The messages come in as a download button with  the message "Tap to download", but the messages do not download (even days later).  This seems to be happening with group texts.  My cell provider is Ting .


Good morning drewkas,

 

Thank you very much for your report, let us help you. Could you please confirm if the messages are Multimedia? Were you able to receive this kind of messages before? Can you confirm if you are using a third party application? Group message is not supported in the preloaded application.

 

Regards,

Suny

Motorola Support

drewkas
Paper Tape
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎11-20-2015
Location: US
Views: 10,280
Message 8 of 24

Re: Some text messages say they must be downloaded

Thank you for getting back,

 

The messages are not multiedia.  They are standard text messages containing only characters, no images, videos, nor emoticons.

I am able to receive this type of message intermittently.  I am using the native messaging app.

 

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that group message is not supported, because I regularly receive (aside from the issues I mentioned) messages sent to several recipients at once.  (This is what I mean by group message.)

 

I discovered that by powering off my device and restarting it, I am able download most, but not all, messages that did not download previously.  I have to click each unloaded message one at a time to do so.  I am unable to download those messages until I restart my device.

 

Andrew

Highlighted
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Posts: 6,602
Registered: ‎02-02-2016
Location: US
Views: 10,143
Message 9 of 24

Re: Some text messages say they must be downloaded


@drewkas wrote:

Thank you for getting back,

 

The messages are not multiedia.  They are standard text messages containing only characters, no images, videos, nor emoticons.

I am able to receive this type of message intermittently.  I am using the native messaging app.

 

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that group message is not supported, because I regularly receive (aside from the issues I mentioned) messages sent to several recipients at once.  (This is what I mean by group message.)

 

I discovered that by powering off my device and restarting it, I am able download most, but not all, messages that did not download previously.  I have to click each unloaded message one at a time to do so.  I am unable to download those messages until I restart my device.

 

Andrew


Hi drewkas,

 

I am sincerely sorry for my delayed response. Let me follow up on your case. Could you please trigger a Bug Report when you receive these messages and when the download button doesn't work?

 

The steps to get the bug report are the following: 

 

Go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number seven times on the build number to enable a new Settings item, Developer options.

Go to Settings ->Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On

Once the issue is reproduced: Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report. Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the BugReport here on the forums in a reply or via a private message. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the local time when you observed the behavior.

 

Also, please confirm your network connection 3G/4G/WiFI, and see if it occurs both, with and without WiFi. Please update your profile with current phone, carrier and IMEI number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Do you need help updating your profile? See here.

 

Regards,

Suny

Motorola Support

suecorn
What's DOS?
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎06-05-2018
Location: US
Views: 8,514
Message 10 of 24

Re: Some text messages say they must be downloaded

Did you find a solution to this issue???  I have the same problem - some texts prompt the download arrow and it may take days for them to load.  Dozens of other texts and photos load instantly as normal every day.  I did not have this problem when the phone was new a couple of months ago, but for the last 2-3 of weeks this is happening daily with a couple of texts per day.

Top Kudoed Authors