Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mbrowne
Paper Tape
Views: 331
Message 1 of 10

Stop Messages from vibrating on incoming texts

I cannot find a way to make Messages stop vibrating on incoming texts.  What am I missing??

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 313
Message 2 of 10

Re: Stop Messages from vibrating on incoming texts

Assuming you are using the default messages app,

Open messages, go "up" to show all conversations, tap 3 dots top right, settings, tap notifications, slide "vibrate" to off in middle of page.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
mbrowne
Paper Tape
Views: 223
Message 3 of 10

Thank you. Your reply led me to discover that with my setting of "medium importance," there was no slider for Vibrate on the notifications page. Changed to High and the slider is there.
mbrowne
Paper Tape
Views: 205
Message 4 of 10

Well... Sliding Vibrate off didn't do it.  Should I look somewhere besides here:

AndroidScreen.png

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 194
Message 5 of 10

It looks like the default only affects new conversations. 

If you tap on existing conversation and open it, then go to 3 dot menu, and details, then notifications, you can see a vibrate option for each person/group you are having a conversation with. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
mbrowne
Paper Tape
Views: 186
Message 6 of 10

Geez... what a process, but I think this has worked. Thanks.
babypelos
What's DOS?
Views: 149
Message 7 of 10

Do I have to do this for every single contact in my phone? Isn't there a better way to do this? How irritating. Why does it have to take HOURS to turn of vibrate in the phone? Terrible design. 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 131
Message 8 of 10

@babypelos wrote:

Do I have to do this for every single contact in my phone? Isn't there a better way to do this? How irritating. Why does it have to take HOURS to turn of vibrate in the phone? Terrible design. 

It is a google messages setting. You could try another messaging app. 

But i am pretty sure this setting is inherited and it is per conversation, not contact. So if you turn it off at the top level in messages, no new conversations will have this setting. For existing coversations you either need to delete  the conversation, or disable vibration for it. 

Deleting it will make the new conversation with that person inherit the global setting made at the top of the messages app. 

Not intuitive, but the best way for those that want different settings for different people, but want a certain default. But if you don't know about it to start with, then it could take time to fix it later. 

babypelos
What's DOS?
Views: 123
Message 9 of 10

thank you so much! I can probably just delete all my messages and start over.
Heather_Ashby
Paper Tape
Views: 23
Message 10 of 10

My messages were making the sound they have yesterday, and all of a sudden today they're all vibrating? There HAS to be a way to change it other than deleting all of my messages or switching the toggle off in each conversation!?!?

Top Kudoed Authors