Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
toleaskdo
Paper Tape
Views: 398
Message 1 of 2

Storage full, but internal storage shows free space

Hi all,

I am having a problem that seems to be shared here by a number of previous users, however I don't know if the answers I have read in any previous thread address my issue - plus I have some questions to further my general understanding...

I recently installed an SD card in to my Moto G5 and formatted it as Internal Storage (rather than portable) to address space issues I was having. I followed the Motorola KB  describing the process and I then migrated any apps that supported running on the SD card through Settings > Apps & notifications. My problem is that the 'Internal shared storage' partition shown in Settings > Storage is constantly near full, while the 'SanDisk SD card' partition is showing as only ~2GB used.

Things I would like to understand/fix are:

• There are 2.87GB of Images shown if I click in to Internal shared storage and then drill down in to Photos & videos. However if I click in to the Images I get to the Photos on device section of (I think) Google Photos. I have hardly any images there, and I regularly use Google Photos to delete any backed up images, plus I sync pretty much every folder I can. If I use the Disk Usage app I can't find these files, would they be hidden files and if so/either way how do I visualise them?
  • Are only certain apps able to run from the SD card, or does the Moto G5 abstract that from them when using the Internal Storage formatting option? With that in mind, if I reinstall apps that do not have an option to move them to the SD card will they automatically be placed there?
  • Is there an app that allows me to show whether files reside on the SD card or internal shared storage?

I will probably have more follow up questions because I would like to understand this fully, but that's enough for now! 

Thanks in advance

Edit: Removing a question about the camera storage as I realised it is going to the SD card

Devyne
Paper Tape
Views: 40
Message 2 of 2

Re: Storage full, but internal storage shows free space

I set up my 126gb SanDisk card o be used as internal storage because when I had it set up as removable storage hardly anything would move over to it. It was ok until most of the 16gb built in storage was used up and now it tells me that storage is too full if I try to take pictures, access my voice mail, add a new app, take a screen shot, et Al. or run a program that needs lots of memory the phone freezes up or gives the message not enough storage.
When I check my storage, if it lets me and doesn't give me the processing donut of no return, it tells me I've only used 20.73 of 142 Gb. 15.45 of phone storage, and 5.28 of the 126gb Sandisc card.
It basically makes my phone unusable. I can sometimes get rid of cache and junk files and get it to work for a few days but then it's back to the same old game. Why won't it use the extra storage as either removable or shared storage. I've even factory reset the phone, reformatted the other card, used a different brand of card, used a new card.
It getting very frustrating spending so much time trying to get my phone to function and be usable, missing messages from clients because my phone doesn't have enough storage to download them, missing jobs because of missed messages, etc.
Top Kudoed Authors