Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Justducky345
Blue Screen Again
Views: 779
Message 1 of 5

System taking up 21GB of storage

Hello! 

My mother has a Moto G5 Plus, running on Android 8.1.0 and the internal storage is almost full, due to System taking up 21 GB. 

She currently has a SanDisk SD card which she is using for photos. The phone is currently at 93% used storage.

Her phone is running very slowly which brings me to two questions: 

1) How do I reduce the amount of space System is requiring?

2) Could the storage being so full be why the phone is running so slow?

Thank you for your time and help!

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 492
Message 2 of 5

Re: System taking up 21GB of storage

Hello Justducky345,

We appreciate you posting here. Full storage on the device can indeed cause the phone to lag or be slow in processing its tasks. You can move media files that are saved on the internal storage to the SD Card. I suggest deleting some apps that you rarely or never use to free up space on your phone.

Regards,
May
Motorola Support

Justducky345
Blue Screen Again
Views: 467
Message 3 of 5

Thank you for your response. I have moved the photos to the SD card and she does not have many apps. In the storage distribution, it states that System is using 21 GB of data, with apps, media, and other taking up barely anything. How do I fix this?

breezer87
What's DOS?
Views: 320
Message 4 of 5

good luck bro, they know they messed up, the phone storage is 32GB and the system takes up 21GB,....like **bleep**!!!

popsiclepanda
What's DOS?
Views: 124
Message 5 of 5

My solution: Clear the cache of the google play store.

I noticed the same thing on my phone: system was taking up ~20 GB after a few months of use. On first install it was only using ~10 GB. Under settings I noticed that the google play store had a cache of ~9 GB. After clearing that it dropped my system usage to ~11 GB. It's a bit odd since it organizes the store under "other apps" but counts it towards the system storage. I hope this helps you or someone else!

Top Kudoed Authors