Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5 / Moto G5 Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

04-18-2017

United States of America

2 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 4

Text messages fail when wifi is on (cellular data still on)

2017-04-18, 17:22 PM

So I have been having almost constant text message "failed to send" when the wifi is on.... Please note, I don't turn off any cellular data/service. 

I had an old Moto x (1st Gen) when this started happening a few weeks ago, no new or unusual apps installed that I'm aware of, and I would usually have to soft reset the phone with wifi off in order to resend the message successfully. It got so frustrating that I thought it was just an old phone and time for an upgrade... So purchased brand new Moto g5 plus unlocked yesterday, texted a bit successfully last night, then this morning after connecting to my office wifi, text messages failing again. But at least so far it seems I can simply turn off wifi and resend successfully instead of resetting the phone...Any ideas? Could it be the SIM card? Could it be my service provider (t-mobile)? (They are next on my outreach list)

Any help appreciated.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Views: 132780
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Text messages fail when wifi is on (cellular data still on)

2017-04-18, 19:28 PM

wrote:

So I have been having almost constant text message "failed to send" when the wifi is on.... Please note, I don't turn off any cellular data/service. 

I had an old Moto x (1st Gen) when this started happening a few weeks ago, no new or unusual apps installed that I'm aware of, and I would usually have to soft reset the phone with wifi off in order to resend the message successfully. It got so frustrating that I thought it was just an old phone and time for an upgrade... So purchased brand new Moto g5 plus unlocked yesterday, texted a bit successfully last night, then this morning after connecting to my office wifi, text messages failing again. But at least so far it seems I can simply turn off wifi and resend successfully instead of resetting the phone...Any ideas? Could it be the SIM card? Could it be my service provider (t-mobile)? (They are next on my outreach list)

Any help appreciated.

I had some MMS and SMS problems (intermittent) on Tmobile. They had me clear out the setting for "APN Type" so it was blank, and save that. Then reboot.  It now says "not set". That fixed all my issues. I never had the same problem as you, though. My APN is called T-mobile US 260 LTE

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Views: 132780
  • Message 3 of 4

2017-04-18, 19:29 PM

wrote:

wrote:

Any help appreciated.

I had some MMS and SMS problems (intermittent) on Tmobile. They had me clear out the setting for "APN Type" so it was blank, and save that. Then reboot.  It now says "not set". That fixed all my issues. I never had the same problem as you, though. My APN is called T-mobile US 260 LTE

The engineer said he sees this a lot on carrier unlocked phones, and it is a solution that works most of the time. It worked for me on my Moto Z. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

1 Posts

03-19-2019

United States of America

5 Signins

46 Page Views

• Views: 46
  • Message 4 of 4

2019-03-26, 13:57 PM

I've had the same problem with my Moto E5 Plus. I thought it was the messaging app so I tried Mood and it worked for a while with no problems. But now it's failing, too. After several failed attempts to send a message, I set my preferred network type from LTE to LTE/3G and re-sent the failed message. It went through immediately. I was still on WiFi. I don't know if this setting will have any effect on other apps or if it's a permanent solution. I'll try to come back in a couple of weeks and give an update.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms