Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mestevec
Paper Tape
Views: 7,690
Message 1 of 8

Transfering texts from Moto G4 to Moto G5 plus

Hi Folks, I have just swapped my Moto G4 to a Moto G5 plus and need to copy a series of text messages from the G4 to the G5 plus or to a PC or even a print as a hard copy. Can this be done? If yes and you reply with a solution please bear in mind that I'm an "Old Fart" who shouldn't be allowed to handle anything more technical than a toaster and will definitely need a Dummies Guide. I hope you can help. Thank you. mestevec 

sdzshn3
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,657
Message 2 of 8

Re: Transfering texts from Moto G4 to Moto G5 plus

You can do all of 3 types.

G4 to G5 plus:

first download this app in both phones. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.idea.backup.smscontacts

Open that app in G4 and click on "Not now". After that you will see this screenScreenshot_20171217-210724.png

Then click on Options(3 vertical dots) located on top-right corner.

Then click on settings.

Now you will see "backup path" just remember it how to reach here.

Then go back to main screen to and click on "SMS" and then "Backup all" . It will show the path and file name. Then click on "OK".

Doing this will create a file in the path shown to you.. so open File manager and goto the path as shown before. There you will see that SMS file. Just share that file via Bluetooth or SHAREit to G5 plus.

And then open the same app in G5 plus. Click on "Not now" and 

then open file manager and goto Bluetooth if you shared file via Bluetooth or goto SHAREit/files folder if you shared file via share it.

Now copy and paste that sms file to internal storage.

Then open the backup app again and click on "SMS" and then "Restore"

Now you will get a prompt like this,Screenshot_20171217-211819.png

Click OK. Then click "YES". Doing this will make this backup app as default SMS app. Then click on Parent folder 2 times.

Now scroll down to select that sms file. Then click on that SMS file.

Then all your SMSs will save into your G5 plus.

To make the messaging app as back to default, just open messages app. It will ask you to make it default. Click yes.

Print or save to PC: 

Install this app in G4 https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smeiti.smstotext

Open that app. Click on export to sdcard. Now open file manager. Go to "smstotext" folder. You will see a file here. Share that file to pc. That's it. You can see SMS contents in pc. Click on print option or press "Ctrl +P" to print SMS contents.

Best Regards, Syed Zeeshan.
mestevec
Paper Tape
Views: 7,646
Message 3 of 8

Hi sdzshn3, thank you very much for your reply and as requested you have provided enough detail so that any old dummy will be able to follow the instructions. I am staying with family for a couple of days but as soon as I'm back home I will have a go at transferring the text messages. Thank you once again, I appreciate you taking the time to sort this problem out for me. Best regards Steve   

acejavelin
Token Ring
Views: 7,638
Message 4 of 8

My solution would be similar, but I would also recommend doing this on as a normal maintenance procedure... Using SMS Backup & Restore by Carbonite, it's very purpose is to backup text messages and restore them. And the nice part is you can back them up to the cloud (like Google Drive) automatically, mine do it every week on Saturday at 3am, and I just see the notification in the morning saying Backup Successful. It is just as easy to restore, install the app, press Restore, select the file locally or from Drive, and in a few minutes the messages are back.

Word of advice... maintain backups of everything that is important to you. For most people, this means messages and photos/videos, the later can also be done automatically with Google Photo (which comes pre-installed). 

mestevec
Paper Tape
Views: 7,629
Message 5 of 8

Hi acejavelin, is that a name picked out of the ether or are you a field eventer? If I had been strong and had one less glass of red wine with friends and family then your reply would make a little more sense (perhaps it should have been two less glasses). Tomorrow hopefully without hangover I will read your reply again and take in what you say. I really do appreciate that you and others are taking time out to help. Thank you very much. Regards Steve 

mestevec
Paper Tape
Views: 7,610
Message 6 of 8

Hi, I told you I was a silly old fart. Printing seemed the best option as I would need a hard copy at some time. I followed your very clear and precise steps right through to saving the file to the SD Card and then remembered that I don't have an SD Card inserted. I will slip into town and pick one up and hopefully finish the job. Thanks again. Steve 

sdzshn3
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,606
Message 7 of 8

For the kind info..

Even though you don't have a SDCard, just click on "export to sdcard"

Don't confuse with the name "sdcard". It is actually saving in internal storage.

Then open file manager. Goto "SMStoTEXT" folder. Here you can see a file named as "sms_2017XXXX.txt"

You can share this to your pc using USB cable. Or there is a simple method to have this file to PC is,

Long press on that file and click on options(3 vertical dots) and click on Share as shown in below pic.Screenshot_20171218-152101.png

And then click on Gmail. Then in "to" address type your own Gmail id.

Then in PC simply goto Gmail. You will see the file you just shared. Open the mail. You can see your file here. Click on that file. You can see all your SMSs here. Click print..

That's it..

Best Regards, Syed Zeeshan.
tikara
Paper Tape
Views: 7,582
Message 8 of 8

Transferring texts from Moto G4 to Moto G5 plus is not that easy, we need to ask help from Google account or coolmuster mobile transfer. With its help, we can directly transfer texts between them. Besides texts, messages, photos, call logs, videos, etc can be also transferred. 

Top Kudoed Authors