Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mayurkataria
Paper Tape
Views: 38,646
Message 1 of 30

USB CONNECTION PROBLEM

i m using Moto g5 plus, I m facing a problem is that when I m connecting my phone with my computer. It starts charging. There is no notification on my phone about usb connection. 

I want to trasfer pictures to my computer. How to get notifications on my phone about usb connection so that I can change charging to media transfer option .

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 38,694
Message 2 of 30

Re: USB CONNECTION PROBLEM

@Mayurkataria wrote:

i m using Moto g5 plus, I m facing a problem is that when I m connecting my phone with my computer. It starts charging. There is no notification on my phone about usb connection. 

I want to trasfer pictures to my computer. How to get notifications on my phone about usb connection so that I can change charging to media transfer option .

pull down your notification tray. If you have lots of notifications scroll to bottom and select clear all. You should be left with this usb charge image, tap it to change to file transfer. If you don't see this, then likely you are using a charge only cable, or your usb port is damaged. If you see but your PC doesn't see your phone, then you are missing drivers on your pc.

Screenshot_20170926-145823.png

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
saintaqua
Paper Tape
Views: 38,100
Message 3 of 30

This is not working for me. I am familiar with Moto G phones and did this on my G4 with no issue. Connecting the G5+ to my PC gives no response other than the phone charges.

I have used three different cables on two different PCs, all of which respond and work with my Moto G4.

They are not charge only cables.

I have downloaded drivers to try and fix it on my PC's end.

There is no tab. None. I have the tab on my Moto G4. Not on my G5, so it's definitely an issue with the G5.

I did a factory reset, which was a waste of time.

I have tried enabling USB debugging. (it shows it is in the right mode already, changing it does nothing)

I am at wits end. I can only assume the phone is defective. I want to replace it but I am very leary of this series now.

Ommiemo54
Punch Card
Views: 38,097
Message 4 of 30

How do you make it default for the phone to just start file fransfer and skip USB charging??

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 38,073
Message 5 of 30

@saintaqua wrote:

This is not working for me. I am familiar with Moto G phones and did this on my G4 with no issue. Connecting the G5+ to my PC gives no response other than the phone charges.

I have used three different cables on two different PCs, all of which respond and work with my Moto G4.

They are not charge only cables.

I have downloaded drivers to try and fix it on my PC's end.

There is no tab. None. I have the tab on my Moto G4. Not on my G5, so it's definitely an issue with the G5.

I did a factory reset, which was a waste of time.

I have tried enabling USB debugging. (it shows it is in the right mode already, changing it does nothing)

I am at wits end. I can only assume the phone is defective. I want to replace it but I am very leary of this series now.

If the PC is not showing a device in device manager - even one with an exclamation mark then the phone is not being detected by the DC. This could be USB port on phone or PC - make sure you are not going through a USB hub. You could try plugging into another pc and see if the phone is detected at all as a device - again look in device manager. If still no, then maybe the port on the phone is a problem. 

Yes, USB debugging should not make a difference. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
LBHK
Paper Tape
Views: 38,036
Message 6 of 30

The original questions stands (and wasn't properly answered). This is definitely a phone software problem, not a PC problem & shouldn't be a hardware problem if my issue is exactly the same. Multiple PCs cannot recognise my phone. The option to change the USB setting in the Settings menu seems to have gone completely. Where is the option to change the USB connection type in the Settings Menu?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 38,013
Message 7 of 30

@LBHK wrote:

The original questions stands (and wasn't properly answered). This is definitely a phone software problem, not a PC problem & shouldn't be a hardware problem if my issue is exactly the same. Multiple PCs cannot recognise my phone. The option to change the USB setting in the Settings menu seems to have gone completely. Where is the option to change the USB connection type in the Settings Menu?

I don't think anything was missed. If it is a software issue it is affecting your phone or a limited number of phones. I have had no problem connecting any of my Moto phones including the G series to many Windows and Mac machines - some brand new builds. 

If the computer is not showing the phone in device manager, then you will not get the drop down menu to change the USB connection function - you don't get this when the phone is charging only without and data lines. 

If multiple PCs show nothing in device manager - either the phone, or an unknown device, then either your phone has a hardware issue or the cable is bad - it is unlikely all your PCs are bad. 

I think this is the same set of answers that was provided before, but if something is still unclear, please articulate what has been missed. 

Manish3388
Paper Tape
Views: 37,546
Message 8 of 30

Even I am facing the same problem.

I have Moto G4 Plus. (Bought 10 months back)

There is no notification when it is connected to laptop via USB.

It directly starts charging without any option to switch to data transfer mode.

I tried it on multiple desktops/laptps and still facing the same issue.

When I connect different Moto phone it gets connected with same USB cable.

So, I don't think it is the issue with laptop and USB cable.

Please let me know what can be done.

saintaqua
Paper Tape
Views: 37,503
Message 9 of 30

After receiving a replacement I had the same issue with the new phone. I managed to get it to connect 1 time and haven't been able to connect since. I am, assuming it must be a fault in the phone that Lenovo refuses to acknowledge.

2 PCs, now five different cables and all my other devices working fine, it has to be the G5.

Was told to return it again by customer service. This is just too much of a hassle.

jithendra3
Fanfold Paper
Views: 34,709
Message 10 of 30

USB connection and turbocharging problem for Moto X4

I am using Moto X4 (Super Black, 64 GB, 4 GB RAM) and I m facing a problem is that when I m connecting my phone with my computer. It starts charging. There is no notification on my phone about usb connection. 

I want to trasfer data to my computer. What is the solution so that I can change charging to media transfer option.

And also I m facing Turbo charging problem , my phone is always going in "Charging Slowly" mode when connected for charging even when the battery is fully drained.

BTW I am using the USB cable that came along with Moto X4 only.

Top Kudoed Authors