Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cloudsam
Paper Tape
Views: 2,266
Message 11 of 29

Re: USB notification not showing anymore when connected to PC via USB Cable

I put phone in safe mode and plugged in the cable. It worked, for a short while. The USB transfer menu appeared and I tapped it. I then put the phone down and went to the computer. The phone drive disappeared. I picked up the phone and tried again. The USB transfer menu appeared again but when I put the phone down it disappeared. This repeated many times. It now acts intermittently. Can anything be done?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 2,243
Message 12 of 29

@cloudsam wrote:

I put phone in safe mode and plugged in the cable. It worked, for a short while. The USB transfer menu appeared and I tapped it. I then put the phone down and went to the computer. The phone drive disappeared. I picked up the phone and tried again. The USB transfer menu appeared again but when I put the phone down it disappeared. This repeated many times. It now acts intermittently. Can anything be done?

I know just why it needs the specific angle while connecting. When you connect, I am sure that the direction is up, down, right or left only. The cable wire, due to continuous wear and tear, has been kind of pulled out of the charger pin. But this minute distance between the wire and pin is the reason why the phone isn't not connecting at a normal angle. Therefore, you probably won't see any exterior damage. But inside the pin, the wire moves freely and if it is pulled too much it will easily come out of the pin. When you keep the wire at a specific angle with the pin, the cable is able to flow as both the wire and pin come in contact (or a rather close contact).try to check with any other cable and if you found the same issue, submitting your phone for repair would be the next logical action. Hope this help

-Sandip

cloudsam
Paper Tape
Views: 2,198
Message 13 of 29

Your explanation sounds reasonable, and not unexpected. What is the cost and procedure for repair of the phone?
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 2,165
Message 14 of 29

@cloudsam wrote:
Your explanation sounds reasonable, and not unexpected. What is the cost and procedure for repair of the phone?

Hi, You may request a repair here bit.ly/1nSdHPq Hope it helps.

Thanks

Sandip

Silvain
What's DOS?
Views: 1,927
Message 15 of 29

On my phone (Moto G5 Plus, Android 7.0, French language), the USB configuration DOES NOT SHOW in the notifications panel, as it is suggested in many forums. The battery icon only shows charging status, bot nothing about USB mode.

The only access to this option I have found is to go to Menu > Configuration > Developer Options > Select a USB configuration > Confirm MTP transfer.

Although MTP transfer is already selected, my computer (using Ubuntu) sees the phone but not the content. The phone storage devices will not mount until I explicitely confirm this option as indicated.

So it is working, but I have been looking in vain for a quicker way to do it.

As far as I remember, it was easier with previous versions of Android.

JacaRoe
What's DOS?
Views: 1,851
Message 16 of 29

anks for this response. I had downloaded all the LG software, the LG Bridge, the drivers, even scoured the manual. This was about the 15th answer I checked, and I had not been able to find the proper setting or the developer options before reading this. Your tip worked great, and allowed me access to the hidden menu (that we laypeople are apparently too stupid to know how to navigate normally?), and was able to bring back the USB notification option.

This was THE ONLY solution that worked, so thanks!

ProvinicialTJ
What's DOS?
Views: 1,611
Message 17 of 29

Hi,

I'm having the same issue with the orginal question as well as my notifcations bar not showing (can't pull down or tap on anything), home button not working, can't get the developer options, etc. I've come to find this can be fixed with a factory reset (hopefully) but I need to take my photos/videos off my phone first.

Any idea how I can get the USB debugging when the developer options don't show? I can push it 100 times and nothing happens..

Thanks

silvain-d
What's DOS?
Views: 1,606
Message 18 of 29

Go to Settings > About Device > Look for your Build-Number (probably last entry in the list. after Kernel version). Then tap several times (sometimes they say 7 times) until Developer Options are activated.
GTom744
What's DOS?
Views: 1,429
Message 19 of 29

Hi all.  

I've got a Moto G4 and am experiencing the same problem (USB notification not showing when I plug in the cable - acting like "charging only").  

This thread has been very good at teaching me lots of things to try!  Thank you!

I've successfully turned on Developer Options, I've toggled "Select USB configuratin" from MTP, to Charging, to PTP, and back to MTP, unplugging multiple cables with each attempt.  I've rebooted in safe mode and reset app preferences.  There is still no USB notification.  

Anything else I can try? ... or do I resort to a factory reset?

gtom744

AzAssassin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,401
Message 20 of 29

My Moto G5 Plus is no longer connecting to/even being recognized by my computer

I typically move all of the photos from my (64GB/4GB RAM) Moto G5 Plus to my Dell desktop computer's hard drive a couple times per month - by connecting my phone to my computer via a USB cable - but when I tried to do it just a few minutes ago, my phone is now not being recognized by my Dell PC.

Nothing is showing/popping up on my Dell computer to indicate that something has been connected to the USB port (which has always happened before).

Also, nothing is being displayed/available on my phone that would give me an option to choose what option I'd like to select to 'Use USB to' do (which it always would before). I've tried swiping down the swipe/scroll-down menu at the top of the screen to find the 'USB for file transfer' option, but, now, that's not longer showing up for me.

For the record, I have tried 3 different USB cables, but that hasn't helped. I also tried connecting a different phone to my computer (with one of the same USB cables) and the PC recognized the phone immediately and the 'USB for file transfer' option was there on the swipe-down menu on the other phone (which was a Moto E4).

I should point out that I actually started having an issue with my phone not TurboCharging properly last week, so it could be something to do with the MicroUSB port/plug on my phone. Or, it could be that something is damaged on my phone (software or hardware). I went for a drive down to the Phoenix (Arizona) area last week, where it was obviously hot, and my phone heated up while I was down there and it was doing the usual slowdown/lagging from the device heating up.

After I got home that day, I tried charging my phone with the OEM Motorola Turbocharger that came in the box with my phone, but it would not activate 'TurboCharing' on my phone. My phone would still charge, and at a pretty fast charging rate, but the 'TurboPower' or 'TurboCharging' would no longer be displayed, and my phone has not displayed that since that day last week.

Is it likely/possible that something internal on my phone got damaged last week from being down in the hot Phoenix area and my phone heating up from it?

Or, is it likely/more-likely that something is wrong with the MicroUSB port/plug on my Moto G5 Plus? And if this is likely/possible, what can I try to do to fix it? Or check to see if this is the problem? FYI, I read a comment (in response to a post on another forum about TurboCharging not working on another person's phone) about how lint or something small could be in the MicroUSB port area, but I looked and didn't see anything and I used a can of compressed air to blow out the charing port on the bottom of my phone, but that did not make a difference.

By the way, now that I think about it, since the TurboCharging stopped working last week, I don't know/think I had connected my phone to my computer before today, so I'm not sure when my phone may have stopped being recognized by my computer. I just checked on my computer's hard drive and the last time that I moved photos from my phone to my computer was on 9-17, which was before I went down to the Phoenix area and my phone got really hot and the TurboCharing stopped working.

Sorry for the long post. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please let me know. Some help with this would be very much appreciated!

P.S. I went in to the Developer Options and tried to do something that I read in response to another post, but that did not help with my phone.

Also, I really *don't* want to do a Factory Reset, as I have thousands of text messages on my phone, as well as other things saved on my device, that I don't want to lose.

- AzAssassin, a.k.a. BillyJackAz, a.k.a. ArizonaAssassin
Top Kudoed Authors