Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jashn
What's DOS?
Views: 748
Message 1 of 12

Unable to make calls over Wi-Fi" notification always there

I didn't always see this since upgrading to Oreo but I think it's been a couple weeks. I can't hide these notifications and they're always there whether I'm on LTE or Wi-Fi (any network). I managed to get one of them to go away by disabling Wi-Fi calling but I have a work profile and I still see that notification.

Anyone else getting this?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 609
Message 2 of 12

Re: Unable to make calls over Wi-Fi" notification always there

Hi jashn,

Welcome to the community. We are always ready to help here. We'd like to clarify some points. Are you actually using wifi calling? If you turn wifi calling completely off, are you still getting the same notifications? Would you please update your profile with the IMEI number of your phone as well as your carrier? If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

**Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

GRGuy
Paper Tape
Views: 593
Message 3 of 12

I'm hoping Moto support is actually monitoring these feeds. There's a "solved" one on the same issue that continues to have new postings up through yesterday. The problem of the phones dropping wifi calling and showing an error messge appears to cross T-mobile (direct or through Consumer Cellular or other resellers) and AT&T (also at least through Consumer Cellular as reseller), and it clearly has not been solved. Rebooting the phone 3-4x a day is not a "solution".  Thanks.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 568
Message 4 of 12

@GRGuy wrote:

I'm hoping Moto support is actually monitoring these feeds. There's a "solved" one on the same issue that continues to have new postings up through yesterday. The problem of the phones dropping wifi calling and showing an error messge appears to cross T-mobile (direct or through Consumer Cellular or other resellers) and AT&T (also at least through Consumer Cellular as reseller), and it clearly has not been solved. Rebooting the phone 3-4x a day is not a "solution".  Thanks.

To assist you further, please answer the questions above. And also, update your IMEI as instructed.

Regards,
Daisy
Moto Support

**Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums

GRGuy
Paper Tape
Views: 525
Message 5 of 12

Hello, per your requests:

1) Are you actually using wifi calling? YES (I have used wifi calling in airplane mode before, thus no direct carrier OTA signal).

2) If you turn wifi calling completely off, are you still getting the same notifications? NO (turned it off 24 hours ago, no notice since then).

3) Would you please update your profile with the IMEI number of your phone as well as your carrier?   DONE.  See my profile. While my carrier is Consumer Cellular, I have the T-Mobile version SIM card from CC (they resell both AT&T and T-Mobile GSM service). The profile doesn't allow me to distinguish between the CC (AT&T version) vs. the CC (T-Mobile version).

George

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 510
Message 6 of 12

@GRGuy wrote:

Hello, per your requests:

1) Are you actually using wifi calling? YES (I have used wifi calling in airplane mode before, thus no direct carrier OTA signal).

2) If you turn wifi calling completely off, are you still getting the same notifications? NO (turned it off 24 hours ago, no notice since then).

3) Would you please update your profile with the IMEI number of your phone as well as your carrier?   DONE.  See my profile. While my carrier is Consumer Cellular, I have the T-Mobile version SIM card from CC (they resell both AT&T and T-Mobile GSM service). The profile doesn't allow me to distinguish between the CC (AT&T version) vs. the CC (T-Mobile version).

George

Thanks for the additional information. We'll escalate this to our Product team for further assistance.

-Daisy

bobpickering
Fanfold Paper
Views: 445
Message 7 of 12

I don’t want to “pile on” with complaints.  My experience is a little different, so I’ll describe it in hopes that it might help diagnose the problem.  I get the “Unable to make calls over Wi-Fi / Error#: ER082 – Unable to Connect” message just like everybody else.  But I get it WHEN I’M NOT MAKING A CALL.  If I put the phone on the charger, three feet from my AC3100 router, and go to bed, the message will be there when I get up the next morning.  I have a Moto G5 Plus with Android 8.1.  I’m on Consumer Cellular and just found out that they have switched me from AT&T to T Mobile.  My wife has T Mobile phone (on T Mobile) and never gets the message.  That tends to point to my phone, since my wife and I are using the same Wi-Fi router, modem, and ISP.  Thanks for looking into this.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 361
Message 8 of 12

@bobpickering wrote:

I don’t want to “pile on” with complaints.  My experience is a little different, so I’ll describe it in hopes that it might help diagnose the problem.  I get the “Unable to make calls over Wi-Fi / Error#: ER082 – Unable to Connect” message just like everybody else.  But I get it WHEN I’M NOT MAKING A CALL.  If I put the phone on the charger, three feet from my AC3100 router, and go to bed, the message will be there when I get up the next morning.  I have a Moto G5 Plus with Android 8.1.  I’m on Consumer Cellular and just found out that they have switched me from AT&T to T Mobile.  My wife has T Mobile phone (on T Mobile) and never gets the message.  That tends to point to my phone, since my wife and I are using the same Wi-Fi router, modem, and ISP.  Thanks for looking into this.

Hi 

We want to look further into this, if you can update your profile with the IMEI of your device, this can help us investigate and see what's causing the disconnect. Also, kindly send a bug report regarding this. Bug report will collect information about your current device state.

Here's how:
Note: Capture the report right after the issue happened.

1. Go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number 7 times on the build number to go into the developer options mode]
2. After the above steps, Developer options will be enabled.
3. Go to Settings ->Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On
4. Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
5. Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Wi-Fi Verbose Logging > Toggle On
6. Once the issue is reproduced, Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.
7. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
8. Then upload the Bug Report to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the BugReport on the forums in a reply or via a private message.
9. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the time that you observed the behavior in local time.

Thanks

Sandip

Moto support

bobpickering
Fanfold Paper
Views: 345
Message 9 of 12

Sandip:

I added the IMEI to my profile a couple of weeks ago.

I was originally getting ER082 a few times a week when I wasn’t making calls.  (I make very few calls, and I’ve never had a call dropped.)  I installed the latest security update and started getting ER081 (and maybe also ER082; I’m not sure).  Then I stopped getting ER081 and ER082, but I have a constant notification saying, “Calls will be made over Wi-Fi.”

Do you still need a bug report, considering that the behavior has changed?  And is there a way to get rid of the constant “Calls will be made over Wi-Fi” notification?  Thanks!

Bob Pickering

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 306
Message 10 of 12

@bobpickering wrote:

Sandip:

I added the IMEI to my profile a couple of weeks ago.

I was originally getting ER082 a few times a week when I wasn’t making calls.  (I make very few calls, and I’ve never had a call dropped.)  I installed the latest security update and started getting ER081 (and maybe also ER082; I’m not sure).  Then I stopped getting ER081 and ER082, but I have a constant notification saying, “Calls will be made over Wi-Fi.”

Do you still need a bug report, considering that the behavior has changed?  And is there a way to get rid of the constant “Calls will be made over Wi-Fi” notification?  Thanks!

Bob Pickering

Hi bobpickering,

Thanks for sharing more information, 

We would need the bug report as well request you to share us the same so that I can put this across to our team.

Thanks

Sandip

Moto Support

Top Kudoed Authors