Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AriZoNaiCe
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,496
Message 3 of 7

Verizon Wireless (VZW US) Wi-Fi Calling

The only topic related to this is marked solved here:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G5-Moto-G5-Plus/Wifi-calling-on-Verizon/m-p/3642980#M2008

I don't think that's correct, and I'd like to determine whether or not Wi-Fi Calling can be enabled on my Moto G5 Plus 64GB model on the Verizon network in the US.  I am able to use advanced calling features, like VoLTE and HD Voice (had to enable the VoLTE Provisioned option in the "Testing" menu).  However, I have no idea where to find an option to turn on Wi-Fi Calling.  I do understand it should be built into the phone's software (I have checked the Phone --> Menu --> Settings --> Calls), but I can't seem to find it.  In that screen, there are only three options, where other people report seeing four, the fourth being Wi-Fi Calling.

I am on build NPN25.137-83, which incorporated the HD Voice / VoLTE fixes on the Verizon network.

Thanks!

-- Brian

Lakeview
What's DOS?
Views: 12,314
Message 1 of 7

Wifi calling on Verizon

Does the Moto G5 plus support wifi calling on the Verizon network? It does for TMobile but can not find any definitive answers on Verizon. Would like to buy the G5 Plus but wifi calling is a must for work. Thank you.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 12,342
Message 2 of 7

Re: Wifi calling on Verizon

@Lakeview wrote:

Does the Moto G5 plus support wifi calling on the Verizon network? It does for TMobile but can not find any definitive answers on Verizon. Would like to buy the G5 Plus but wifi calling is a must for work. Thank you.

My Nexus 5x does not, and neither does the 6P - it seems only phones sold by Verizon have this and they don't sell the G5.

Verizon would have the definitve answer, but it looks like the answer is no. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
AriZoNaiCe
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,310
Message 4 of 7

After several calls with Verizon, it is confirmed that WiFi Calling on their network is not supported on this phone.  There is no technical reason.  Verizon simply does not support WiFi Calling on devices that did not come out of their inventory (or something to that effect).  This is contrary to what Moto's site says here:

* https://www.motorola.com/us/carrier-compatibility

****** WiFi Calling on the Moto G5 Plus will not work on the Verizon network. ******

As an aside, I did put my T-Mobile SIM into the phone and the WiFi Calling settings/menus showed up immediately, no need even for a restart.  This further confirms that something on the Verizon network prevents the phone from showing the menus.

EricJRW
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,129
Message 5 of 7

@AriZoNaiCe wrote:

After several calls with Verizon, it is confirmed that WiFi Calling on their network is not supported on this phone.  There is no technical reason.  Verizon simply does not support WiFi Calling on devices that did not come out of their inventory (or something to that effect).  This is contrary to what Moto's site says here:

* https://www.motorola.com/us/carrier-compatibility

****** WiFi Calling on the Moto G5 Plus will not work on the Verizon network. ******

As an aside, I did put my T-Mobile SIM into the phone and the WiFi Calling settings/menus showed up immediately, no need even for a restart.  This further confirms that something on the Verizon network prevents the phone from showing the menus.

AriZoNaiCe,That is fascinating. Could you please confirm exactly how you go to that setting (with the T-Moble SIM)? 

I am currently on Vz and was trying to get this to work. Now I know why I can't.  I was on Sprint, same phone. I wonder if this feature works with Sprint?

I think it is criminal that this feature is disabled. What if I am someehere without a compaticle network? Why should Vz keep me from at least making a call? 

Thanks very much for that post. 

Eric

Note: A quick peek at Sprint and I don't see the G5+, plus I'm guessing the answer is also no. 

Moto G5 Plus running Android 8.1 (Oreo).
EricJRW
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,063
Message 6 of 7

I'm going to chime back in and say I think I found a solution. 

Before I go on, I want to say I have not tested this, yet, as I'm still trying to get some answers. 

It seems to me WiFi calling could also be considered SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) calling. The problem is, you need a SIP account, whereas WiFi calling is more transparent. 

Anyway, if other want to find the SIP settings on their G5+, the option is here:

Press phone (blue handset icon).

Press the 3 vertical dots in the upper right corner.

Settings

Calls

Calling accounts (here you will find the SIP menu)

SIP accounts

+ (upper right corner - here you will add your SIP credentials, username, password, SIP server). 

So where do you get a SIP account? Well that's what Google is for, and that's the part I'm working on, in case anyone knows more about this. 

Hope this helps, 

Eric

Moto G5 Plus running Android 8.1 (Oreo).
JS2019
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,364
Message 7 of 7

I also have the Moto G5 Plus running Android 8.1 on an unlocked phone on Verizon . Did you find a solution?

And We're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Top Kudoed Authors