Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drdr1818
Punch Card
Views: 423
Message 1 of 9

WIFI speed various wildly - recent - only on this phone

Recently (after security fix?) I noticed video issues when on WIFI. If I do a speedtest (Ookla), after a quick ramp-up, it starts at around 100 MBPS and then goes goes down, sometimes as low as 8  MPBS. This happens about 85% of the time. Doing the same with my Moto E4 (on the same test site), or an iPhone/iPad, all is fine.  Any ideas?

I've reset networking, cleared the cache partition and cleared the data from Speedtest. The same happens on the web version. It happens even if I'm right next to the AP.

Thanks

drdr1818
Punch Card
Views: 306
Message 2 of 9

Re: WIFI speed various wildly - recent - only on this phone

Safe mode doesn't help either. I wish they allowed a downgrade, even just to test.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 193
Message 3 of 9

@drdr1818 wrote:

Safe mode doesn't help either. I wish they allowed a downgrade, even just to test.

Hi drdr1818,

Sorry to know about this, please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here

Thanks

Sandip

Moto Support

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 110
Message 4 of 9

@drdr1818 wrote:

Hi drdr1818,

We would like to dig into this deeper. Can you please provide us with the make and model of your Wi-Fi? Also, please take a bug report. We will share this with our product team for investigation. 

1. Go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number 7 times on the build number to go into the developer options mode] 
2. After the above steps, Developer options will be enabled. 
3. Go to Settings ->Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On 
4. Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On 
5. Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Wi-Fi Verbose Logging > Toggle On 
6. Once the issue is reproduced, Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu. 
7. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report. 
8. Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the BugReport on the forums in a reply or via a private message. 
9. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the time that you observed the behavior in local time. 

Please make sure to turn off developer options after you create the report, otherwise it can cause issues on the phone with the additional logged being enabled in the background.

Regards,
May
Moto Support
drdr1818
Punch Card
Views: 97
Message 5 of 9

Thanks. How do I send an attachment via private message? I don't see an icon/menu.

Sometimes the speed drops during the test, sometimes the entire test is slow. Testing repeatedly on my e4 is always ok.

Thanks

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 79
Message 6 of 9

Hi drdr1818,

When you encounter the speed drop kindly generate the report following the steps provided above. You can send the report to me via private message. Just click on my profile name and you will see an option to send a private message. You can copy and paste the link or click the "Choose File".

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

drdr1818
Punch Card
Views: 55
Message 7 of 9

I don't see 'choose file' for private messages.

Even doing ping at the same time to the same AP, the g5 is much worse than the E4. There are multiple multi second delays.

Thanks

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 34
Message 8 of 9

Hi drdr1818,

You can copy and paste the link here on the comment box. Just make sure you have saved the report to Google Drive. Tap the 3 vertical dots beside the report > Enable Link Sharing > Copy Link. Please see attached file.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

drdr1818
Punch Card
Views: 21
Message 9 of 9

Thanks, but I don't want to post a the logs publicly. Is there an alternative?

Top Kudoed Authors