cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OpenMicGuy
Paper Tape
Views: 299
Message 1 of 6

What are constant infrared pulses on back of Moto 5G Plus for?

I happened to hold my phone in front of my home security camera that was in infrared mode, and saw that my Moto 5G Plus constantly emits infrared pulses from either side of the rear camera lens. Apparently this turns off when camera app is activated. Otherwise the pulses are constant, yet the two pulse sources act independently, sometimes flashing alternately or in unison. I wonder what this if for? Curious.

eandah
Punch Card
Views: 291
Message 2 of 6

Re: What are constant infrared pulses on back of Moto 5G Plus for?

@OpenMicGuy wrote:

I happened to hold my phone in front of my home security camera that was in infrared mode, and saw that my Moto 5G Plus constantly emits infrared pulses from either side of the rear camera lens. Apparently this turns off when camera app is activated. Otherwise the pulses are constant, yet the two pulse sources act independently, sometimes flashing alternately or in unison. I wonder what this if for? Curious.

Probably an infra-red rangefinder for the camera.

OpenMicGuy
Paper Tape
Views: 286
Message 3 of 6

Maybe, but for the fact it turns off when the camera app is activated.
I see now there is a single infrared pulse constantly on the front side, too.
I am thinking perhaps these are proximity sensors?
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 173
Message 4 of 6

Hi OpenMicGuy,

Thanks for posting. Not sure if it's infrared, I'll confirm that. Does it only activate when you're facing it to your home security? 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

OpenMicGuy
Paper Tape
Views: 168
Message 5 of 6

Because the flashes are invisible to the naked eye, I would have no way of knowing if my security cameras "activate" the flashes, but I would highly doubt that. I think it is safe to say they are going on constantly (except when camera app is opened).
I have a friend with a similar Moto phone (I think a 5G, too) and reports he observed the same thing, same flashes, with his security cameras at night. He  was the one who observed the flashes stopped when the opened the phone's camera app.

Try it,  you will see. Not sure if this would be true of all Moto phones, but at least try it with a 5G.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 120
Message 6 of 6

Hi OpenMicGuy

The sensors are for detecting object proximity, similar to the sensors on the front of the phone, to optimize phone performance. These sensors do not capture any audio or visual information.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Top Kudoed Authors