Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Majikthyse
Not applicable
Views: 1,540
Message 1 of 6

What is the point of Motorola Device Manager?

I have just bought a Moto G5 and, as with previous phones, connected it to the Windows 10 PC in the expectation that the relevant driver would be installed. Windows did its thing and announced that the new device was installed. Indeed the phone shows up on Explorer but none of its contents. Impossible to navigate into it to transfer files.

So I downloaded what I thought was the official software to connect the phone to the Windows 10 PC. I now have Motorola Device Manager on the Windows apps list but all it does is to check for versions. The phone is still visible on Explorer but not its contents. Explorer just says the folder is empty.

What am I missing here?

AlphaDog
Not applicable
Views: 1,532
Message 2 of 6

Re: What is the point of Motorola Device Manager?

@Majikthyse wrote:

I have just bought a Moto G5 and, as with previous phones, connected it to the Windows 10 PC in the expectation that the relevant driver would be installed. Windows did its thing and announced that the new device was installed. Indeed the phone shows up on Explorer but none of its contents. Impossible to navigate into it to transfer files.

So I downloaded what I thought was the official software to connect the phone to the Windows 10 PC. I now have Motorola Device Manager on the Windows apps list but all it does is to check for versions. The phone is still visible on Explorer but not its contents. Explorer just says the folder is empty.

What am I missing here?

Device manager is no longer used. In the last few versions of android, after connecting USB, you must pull donw the notification bar, see the "usb charging" notification (usually below all other notifications) and select it to change to file transfer. 

Without performing the above step, the phone shows as an empty device in file manager. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Majikthyse
Not applicable
Views: 1,530
Message 3 of 6

Thanks, but I can't see `USB charging', not even if I edit the pane.

AlphaDog
Not applicable
Views: 1,527
Message 4 of 6

It is not in the pane of quick toggles, it is below that in notifications.

Screenshot_20170926-145823.png

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Majikthyse
Not applicable
Views: 1,519
Message 5 of 6

Thanks again. That was a bit obscure - I could not find it in the user manual.

smithmk
Not applicable
Views: 926
Message 6 of 6

Thanks! This message is three years old, but it helped! Without the description to scroll to the BOTTOM of the notification pane, I never would have known to do this procedure. 

Mark

Top Kudoed Authors