cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
-Spike
Paper Tape
Views: 655
Message 1 of 8

When will my G5 Plus get its Oreo/8.1 update? Where's the firmware?

My wife and I own identical G5 Plus phones bought on the same day from the same retailer. They are not carrier locked.

She has the latest Oreo firmware while my phone is stuck on Android 7 with 8 month old security updates.

I've repeatedly used the "check for updates" on my phone and it never seems to get its OTA update.

Why do two identical phones, using the same carrier and the same wireless network (most of the time), have vastly different patch levels?

When can I expect to be able to get this important update, or at the very least, when will Lenovo post the firmware image so I can download it myself and copy it to the phone?

Thanks.

Cetam
Paper Tape
Views: 425
Message 2 of 8

Re: When will my G5 Plus get its Oreo/8.1 update? Where's the firmware?

Be careful what you wish for.

I just bought new G5 PLUS. On initial setup, it prompted for several updates. This last of which was for Oreo 8.1. Once done, Android Auto would not work. Speaking to Moto support didn't get me anywhere. There is no way to revert to Nougat. Online searches indicate issues with 8.1 and Android Auto. Currently no fix. If AA is important to you, hold off on update till bug gets worked out.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 378
Message 3 of 8

@-Spike wrote:

My wife and I own identical G5 Plus phones bought on the same day from the same retailer. They are not carrier locked.

She has the latest Oreo firmware while my phone is stuck on Android 7 with 8 month old security updates.

I've repeatedly used the "check for updates" on my phone and it never seems to get its OTA update.

Why do two identical phones, using the same carrier and the same wireless network (most of the time), have vastly different patch levels?

When can I expect to be able to get this important update, or at the very least, when will Lenovo post the firmware image so I can download it myself and copy it to the phone?

Thanks.

Hi -Spike,

Welcome to Forums,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. We request you to try these below checkpoints & let us know.

1. Check with a strong WiFi network connection.

2. Perform the Factory Data Reset, click here for the Factory Data Reset.

3. We request update your profile with the IMEI number of your phone. Is it okay if we look into your apps to determine what is causing the issue? This will help us investigate. Make sure that your Motorola Privacy is enabled. If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Thanks & Regards
Nikh
Lenovo-Moto Support

-Spike
Paper Tape
Views: 249
Message 4 of 8

Hi Nikh. I've updated my profile. Please feel free to reach out to me via email.

-=S

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 222
Message 5 of 8

@-Spike wrote:

Hi Nikh. I've updated my profile. Please feel free to reach out to me via email.

-=S

Hi -Spike,

Thanks for updating the profile. As we see the into your device details, there is no issue with the phone. Hence, we request you perform the below checkpoints & try the update. If you don't find any update post performing the below checkpoints then submitting your phone for Repair would be the next logical action.

1. Remove the SD card & Reboot the device.

2. Perform the Factory Data Reset & check. Click here for the Moto G5 plus Factory Data Reset steps.

Thanks & Regards
Nikh
Lenovo-Moto Support 

-Spike
Paper Tape
Views: 186
Message 6 of 8

This is a link to the version of the firmware that my device is currently running:

https://rsdsecure-cloud.motorola.com/download/POTTER_NPNS25.137-93-10_cid50_subsidy-DEFAULT_regulato...

I am asking you for a link to the most current version of the firmware for a G5+ (Potter) SKU number XT1687. Can you please just give me a link to download the firmware?

Thank you.

-Spike
Paper Tape
Views: 108
Message 7 of 8

Thanks for suggesting a factory reset, but it didn't work. What did work was flashing the same version of the firmware over the top of what was on the phone. In order to do that, I needed to download a firmware image, but since you didn't tell me where that was located or how to download it, as I had asked, I had to rely on using a third party download that I could not trust fully. So, I'm quite disappointed because I did ask specifically for a link to download the firmware, right from the beginning. Installing the firmware also required clearing the /data and /cache partition, which essentially also factory reset the phone, but after flashing that firmware, the phone was able to retrieve its subsequent updates (several in a row) from the dlmgr.gtm.svcmot.com domain you use for hosting your firmware updates. I would ask that you please consider not making this such a chore for technically capable customers who wish to pull a factory firmware image.
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 84
Message 8 of 8

@-Spike wrote:
Thanks for suggesting a factory reset, but it didn't work. What did work was flashing the same version of the firmware over the top of what was on the phone. In order to do that, I needed to download a firmware image, but since you didn't tell me where that was located or how to download it, as I had asked, I had to rely on using a third party download that I could not trust fully. So, I'm quite disappointed because I did ask specifically for a link to download the firmware, right from the beginning. Installing the firmware also required clearing the /data and /cache partition, which essentially also factory reset the phone, but after flashing that firmware, the phone was able to retrieve its subsequent updates (several in a row) from the dlmgr.gtm.svcmot.com domain you use for hosting your firmware updates. I would ask that you please consider not making this such a chore for technically capable customers who wish to pull a factory firmware image.

Hi -Spike,

Sorry for the delay in response. We regret to inform you that we will not be able to share you the particular link but once you plug in the device into the computer using Lenovo MOTO Smart Assistant tool & update your device details it will pull the prompt you to get the recent firmware image so that you will be able to flash the device yourself.

Click here for the Lenovo MOTO Smart Assistant tool.

Please let us know if you have any queries on the same.

Thanks & Regards
Nikh
Lenovo-Moto Support 

Top Kudoed Authors