Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
vwchevyrock
Paper Tape
Views: 1,256
Message 1 of 6

moto g5+ SIM card not detected

Hello, I am having issues with my moto g5+ related to the sim card. So I've had my phone for a couple of months, and it's been activated and working fine with a Sprint sim card and sprint service. However, after a couple of minutes, I get the no sim card icon where the signal strength would usually be, and Taking the sim card tray out, and putting it back in makes my service come back for about 10 minutes before the no sim card error ocurrs again. I've already tried wiping the cache partition of the phone, and I still haven't had any luck with the problem being fixed. I'm going to troubleshoot more tonight, and try to find out if it will work, but I'm wondering what it could be.

sdzshn3
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,217
Message 2 of 6

Re: moto g5+ SIM card not detected

How old is the sim card?

If it's used for a long time, get a new swap sim.

Also try inserting the sim into another slot if you have another.

Best Regards, Syed Zeeshan.
vwchevyrock
Paper Tape
Views: 1,212
Message 3 of 6

I bought the phone new from amazon late September last year, and I bought the sim card new from a best buy shortly afterwards. It's the American 1-sim slot model so I can't try a different slot. I found a non-activated sim card that fits the slot that the phone recognizes, so I'm going to see if the same issue happens where it forgets to recognize that the sim's in the phone, and if it doesn't happen with this different card, I"m going to go and get a different sim card. Do you think that a sim that's literally less than a year old (or I guess, only been used for less than a year) should do this tho?

EDIT: That extra, non-activated, never before been used sim card that I was testing with does the same thing, reports that it's working in the phone, then about 20ish minutes later the phone reports "no sim card inserted" on a never-before used sim card, so I think it's the phone, and not the card, but we'll see.

vwchevyrock
Paper Tape
Views: 1,186
Message 4 of 6

Just a quick update, I got done with classes (I'm a college student), and attempted to factory reset the device. It factory reset just fine, but the same thing happened, where after about 10-20 minutes it displays "no sim card" in the upper right hand corner where the signal strength should be, and I"m unable to text, call, or use cellular data. Just to make sure anyone reading this is on the same page, the phone works for about 10 minutes then forgets it has a sim card after:

• Taking the sim card out and putting it back in with the phone powered on
  • Power cycling the phone when taking the sim card out when the phone's off
  • Power cycling the phone and not taking the sim card out at any point
  • Trying a different, known fresh sim card (purchased November '17, not used at all since) with the above three bullet points
  • Clearing the cache partition
  • Factory resetting the phone

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,157
Message 5 of 6

@vwchevyrock wrote:

Just a quick update, I got done with classes (I'm a college student), and attempted to factory reset the device. It factory reset just fine, but the same thing happened, where after about 10-20 minutes it displays "no sim card" in the upper right hand corner where the signal strength should be, and I"m unable to text, call, or use cellular data. Just to make sure anyone reading this is on the same page, the phone works for about 10 minutes then forgets it has a sim card after:

• Taking the sim card out and putting it back in with the phone powered on
  • Power cycling the phone when taking the sim card out when the phone's off
  • Power cycling the phone and not taking the sim card out at any point
  • Trying a different, known fresh sim card (purchased November '17, not used at all since) with the above three bullet points
  • Clearing the cache partition
  • Factory resetting the phone

Sorry to hear about the ongoing issue, our best advice for this situation is that you submit your device for review/service/repair so that repair engineer could examine your unit and provide a proper resolution. 

Thanks,

-Swaraj

vwchevyrock
Paper Tape
Views: 1,129
Message 6 of 6

I ended up going to Motorola's RMA department with the old phone, and I have recieved a replacement moto g5+, and I also have an old 1st gen Moto x to test my old sim card on, and I believe the defective moto g5+ has also "killed" the old sim card, because my original, activated sim card now exhibits very similar behavior in the Moto x, and the replacement moto g5+, but it seems the unactivated sim card previously tested in the defective g5+ works fine in the replacement g5+.

Top Kudoed Authors