Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5 / Moto G5 Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

12 Posts

08-03-2017

United States of America

120 Signins

961 Page Views

• Views: 961
  • Message 41 of 58

Re: moto g5 plus wifi calling?

2017-08-03, 23:05 PM

The Motorola G5 Plus is not on the Verizon Wireless Chart of approved phones for WiFi calling.

Options

17 Posts

05-05-2017

United States of America

24 Signins

214 Page Views

• Views: 214
  • Message 42 of 58

2017-08-04, 18:41 PM

I just switched to T-Mo with my Moto G5 Plus, it has default WiFi calling enabled and working. Didn't have to do anything. I was actually suprised to see that, but I'm ok with it. 

However, I do notrsee any controls for that function anywhere, so IF I wanted to turn it off, I don't know that I can without turning off WiFi altogether as mentined ealier.

From the carriers perpective, this is what they want so they can offload their network whenever possible. I'd bet that as T-Mob activates the phone in the network, they place a setting to 'disable' that control... so you are forced to use WiFi calling and offload.

This may actually be good in some cases (though I'd really like to have that control myself) and I will find out soon enough when I visit some places that I know typically have had poor or no reception from most carriers. If I can even make call in these places, then its a win.

Options

40 Posts

07-22-2011

United States of America

47 Signins

270 Page Views

• Views: 270
  • Message 43 of 58

2017-08-04, 20:39 PM
wrote:

I just switched to T-Mo with my Moto G5 Plus, it has default WiFi calling enabled and working. Didn't have to do anything. I was actually suprised to see that, but I'm ok with it. 

However, I do notrsee any controls for that function anywhere, so IF I wanted to turn it off, I don't know that I can without turning off WiFi altogether as mentined ealier.

From the carriers perpective, this is what they want so they can offload their network whenever possible. I'd bet that as T-Mob activates the phone in the network, they place a setting to 'disable' that control... so you are forced to use WiFi calling and offload.

This may actually be good in some cases (though I'd really like to have that control myself) and I will find out soon enough when I visit some places that I know typically have had poor or no reception from most carriers. If I can even make call in these places, then its a win.

Thanks - that's good to know - it means that if wifi calling doesn't work on my moto 5G plus phone, it's Cricket's fault 

Options

17 Posts

05-05-2017

United States of America

24 Signins

214 Page Views

• Message 44 of 58

2017-08-04, 22:18 PM

It is Cricket's fault. They will not be offering it to non-cricket branded devices quite yet. So don't look for any time soon.

Options

1 Posts

08-05-2017

United States of America

2 Signins

88 Page Views

• Views: 88
  • Message 45 of 58

2017-08-05, 1:28 AM

Forgive me for answering at this late date and also for not reading every single post in this thread, but there is an app called "Device Help" built in to the g5 image. you open that and then type in "wifi calling" and look for "Make calls over wifi" this will give you basic information and also provide a few other links: "Add internet calling account (SIP), "Set phone for internet calling (SIP)", and "Use internet calling (SIP). This is a good place to start. Also, you can go to settings, Wireless and Networks, "Wi-Fi Calling" and turn it on there. All that being said, it also depends on your provider as to whether it will work for you. you might want to use a search engine and enter the name of your provider and the words "register for wifi calling" like this: "providername register for wifi calling" and follow the instructions for signing up with your provider.

Hope this helps someone else who stumbles upon this place instead of reading the "help" section on their device.

Cheers :)

Options

40 Posts

07-22-2011

United States of America

47 Signins

270 Page Views

• Views: 270
  • Message 46 of 58

2017-08-05, 2:00 AM
Cricket updated its writeup on wi-fi calling... "Note: If you did not purchase your phone from Cricket but it is Wi-Fi Calling capable, you can still use your phone but Wi-Fi Calling will not work."

https://www.cricketwireless.com/support/apps-and-services/wifi-calling/customer/compatible-phones.html
Options

17 Posts

05-05-2017

United States of America

24 Signins

214 Page Views

• Message 47 of 58

2017-08-05, 12:24 PM

Wow, this was helpful. Although I looked around, I did not take this path - seems a bit buried in there. But now it makes sense.

You'd think Moto would have place links or references to this from more obvious places.

I've attached a screenshot of what you see when you follow the path here.

Options

3 Posts

08-14-2017

United States of America

6 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 48 of 58

2017-08-14, 14:27 PM

Verizon has WiFi calling enabled, how and where do you activate the setting on the Moto G5 Plus?

Options

4 Posts

08-12-2015

United States of America

9 Signins

64 Page Views

• Views: 64
  • Message 49 of 58

2017-08-19, 18:40 PM

AT&T supports wifi calling on a lot of devices. Turning it on is a simple menu pick in the connections menu.  But, there doesn't seem to even be a disabled menu pick for it on my G5+.  Where would this option be turned on if my carrier supports it?

Options

2 Posts

09-08-2017

United States of America

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 50 of 58

2017-09-08, 21:13 PM

For those of you who are wondering how to check or turn on or off wifi calling on the Moto g5 plus... Tap the phone icon on the home screen, next up at the top where you search contacts hit the three dots, then tap settings then tap call and wifi calling should be the 4th option down. According to t mobile use cell preferred. All that means is that it will use what ever signal is better. But if you are at home it will use wifi calling. Hope this helps

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms