cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wmcole
Fanfold Paper
Views: 294
Message 51 of 57

Re: "Invalid SIM CARD" for Moto G5 Plus after Android 8.1 update.

@Dime0000 wrote:

wmcole - I owe you a beer, my friend. So, unlike my previous factory reset, this time, I started completely from scratch. I did not have it load up any 3rd party apps... At first, that didn't work.. But then, I took the SIM card and and put it back in, and poof - it registered itself on the network. I have voice, data, and no error about an invalid SIM Card!

So, I guess the question now is - will this last? What happens when i start loading my apps back on? I guess we'll see.

I still get it periodically (several months apart) and since the "full monty" fix, I now just reboot to safe mode or power down /up and that does the trick.  Occaisionally I have to leave it off over night, but have not needed to to the clearing / resetting again.

BTW, it'll be a nice brown or red ale ;^}

derrelldurrett
Paper Tape
Views: 170
Message 52 of 57

I have a problem similar to that of the OP. In my case I've applied this solution several times, and while it appears to work for a few minutes to a few hours, eventually it reappears. I've also applied the "put a piece of tape on the back of the SIM" solution, to no effect.

Short of replacing the phone, do you have any suggestions? I've replaced the SIM (CDMA) as well, so it shouldn't be that, and it would appear that, if anything, it's the phone damaging the SIM.

Note that I've also reset the phone once, and have attempted to update the PRL and device config several times.

I really need my phone in order to look forfor a job, so this very distressing. 

Jbroni
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 165
Message 53 of 57

Make sure your carrier has the new sim serial number, after resetting the network (mine is through sprint,  *#*#72786#*#* on the phone dial pad reset it). It took 5 calls to find a rep who would enter the sim number printed it the sim, everything has worked well since then. 

derrelldurrett
Paper Tape
Views: 157
Message 54 of 57

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried it, and it doesn't work for me. 

@Jbroni wrote:

Make sure your carrier has the new sim serial number, after resetting the network (mine is through sprint,  *#*#72786#*#* on the phone dial pad reset it). It took 5 calls to find a rep who would enter the sim number printed it the sim, everything has worked well since then. 

derrelldurrett
Paper Tape
Views: 131
Message 55 of 57

I had decided I needed a new phone, andand went to BestBuy. In explaining my situation to the clerk, he asked if I'd tried to clean the slot used by the SIM card. I allowed as how I had not, and and he took it in back and did so.

So far it's working as desired. 

BillWeW
Paper Tape
Views: 91
Message 56 of 57

I still keep getting the "Invalid SIM" error every couple of months. Usually the three steps of reseting the network with *#*#72786#*#* on the phone dial pad, update the PRL, and update the Device Configuration, works. But twice I've gotten the error and this didn't work. I tried the other solutions listed here and still nothing. In my earlier research I remember reading that the problem could involve the Cell tower and it might need to be reset (whatever that means). I am normally at home and have weak cell coverage when I try to fix this problem.

So I went about 1/2 mile from my house and did the three steps listed above. And that fixed the problem. I suspect that I was using another cell tower when the phone was resetting and reconfiguring. But I might have just been getting a better signal. It's also possible that not being connected to WIFI could have made a difference.

derrelldurrett
Paper Tape
Views: 86
Message 57 of 57

Aaaaaand that fix lasted only a week. It did take only a reboot to get a signal back, but one shouldn't have to reboot the phone to get a signal on a regular basis.
Top Kudoed Authors