cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tbenedict
Punch Card
Views: 555
Message 21 of 33

Re: "Invalid SIM CARD" for Moto G5 Plus after Android 8.1 update.

I also have Sprint.  Since the update I have lost the enhanced messaging options.  Not sure if we had Volte before, but I'm pretty sure I'm back to a regular non-enhanced call now.  It still functions.  

After trying many of these things I took it to a local Sprint corp store and they said it is fine and that maybe the enhanced was  intentionally pulled for functionality, at least temporarily.  I took it there since I get the invalid SIM error message each time I try to configure or update PRL.  

Bryan_In_TX
Paper Tape
Views: 530
Message 22 of 33

Has there been any resolution or attempt at a resolution by Motorola?  I am having this same problem.  I worked with Ting (rides on Sprint's network) and we reprovisioned the phone, wiped the phone and performed a factory reset, used the Android recovery mode to wipe the phone and wipe the cache and the problem persists.  If you reboot the phone the LTE connection stays for 2-3 minutes and then it pops up with "Invalid SIM card".   If you eject the SIM with the phone still on and re-insert it the LTE will stay on for 2-3 minutes and then come up with the same Invalid SIM card.  When it has that error you can be in the middle of doing whatever random thing and it takes you to the lock screen, locks the phone, and shows that error.  You can go back in and it works fine other than the LTE connection.  Wi-Fi works fine.

The "Solution" reply to this thread simply does not work at all and should probably be taken off as the solution.

This is troublesome with a sick wife and toddler at home and no way to communicate with them.  I hope this gets fixed fast or this is the last Motorola product I buy and I will spread my experience far and wide.

Bryan_In_TX
Paper Tape
Views: 488
Message 23 of 33

With Ting I have both a GSM and CDMA SIM. I ported my number off the CDMA SIM and onto the GSM SIM. Its not done porting but at least the GSM card isn't coming up as invalid so far (overnight).

Might be an issue with this update and only CDMA or Sprint.
húmbug
Paper Tape
Views: 340
Message 24 of 33

Unfortunately, the procedure marked as a solution did not work for me, at least not by itself:

@Agent_Nikh

1. Remove the SIM card in your device.

2. Tap on Settings>>Apps & notifications>>App info>>SIM ToolKit>>Storage>>Clear Data.

3. Reboot the device.

4. Insert the SIM card.

I'm also using Sprint/Ting CDMA and have updated to Android 8.1 in the past few weeks. After completing those steps exactly, I still consistently received the "Invalid SIM card" message quickly after rebooting or reinserting my SIM. What seems to have worked for me, for now—it's only been a couple of hours—is this:

1. Eject and reinsert the SIM card;
  2. Quickly, before the "Invalid SIM" glitch reoccurs, pull down the notifications drawer and long press the mobile network signal indicator;
  3. Tap the three dots at the top, right corner of the screen;
  4. Tap "Mobile networks";
  5. Tap "Advanced";
  6. Tap "Carrier settings";
  7. Now, here's where it got confusing:
    1. I tapped "Update PRL" first, and while it was trying to update, the glitch happened. The update seemed to hang, so I canceled it after a few minutes.
    2. After canceling, my SIM card appeared to be recognized again.
    3. I immediately tried "Update device config", and that completed successfully.
    4. After that, I tried to update the PRL again, and that also suceeded.

My Sprint voice and LTE data service have been stable so far. Fingers crossed: it's not a good time of year to be dealing with a flaky phone or a warranty claim!

húmbug
Paper Tape
Views: 276
Message 25 of 33

Everything worked for a week until this morning when I rebooted the phone. The "Invalid SIM card" error came back almost immediately after the phone finished restarting, and the procedure I'd used before didn't help at all.

I had adb logcat running during one of the failures and saw:

IntentBroadcaster: Broadcasting and adding intent for rebroadcast: android.intent.action.SIM_STATE_CHANGED CARD_IO_ERROR for slotId 0

"CARD_IO_ERROR means for three consecutive times there was SIM IO error," according to the Android source code, but this hasn't led me to anything useful yet.

I don't know if this is purely coincidental, but I've been able to keep the SIM working two times in a row by making a 5+ minute phone call right away after rebooting or reinserting the SIM. Maybe it's just luck, or maybe keeping the radio active somehow staves off the "Invalid SIM card" error.

nanouchman
What's DOS?
Views: 189
Message 26 of 33

After having the same problems as other people in this thread for several weeks on my Moto G5, I gave up and bought a new nano-SIM and things have been all good since then (it's a been a week now).

I suspect my previous SIM got damaged by the slot itself (as per this other thread https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G5-Moto-G5-Plus/SIM-Card-not-detected-in-Moto-G5-Plus/m-p/3956521/...).

soylentbean
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 167
Message 27 of 33

My simple fixes (making a call after reboot or carrier settings reset) only delayed the recurring error for a couple days at a time, and then a factory reset delayed it for about 1 week. When that happened, I bought a new SIM card, but decided to wait and see. Still using my original SIM, and it has been 4 weeks without the error so far. Maybe it  fixed itself somehow? I think I may have wasted $10 on this SIM card kit. Smiley Sad

Porphyrius
802.11n
Views: 153
Message 28 of 33

@soylentbean wrote:

My simple fixes (making a call after reboot or carrier settings reset) only delayed the recurring error for a couple days at a time, and then a factory reset delayed it for about 1 week. When that happened, I bought a new SIM card, but decided to wait and see. Still using my original SIM, and it has been 4 weeks without the error so far. Maybe it  fixed itself somehow? I think I may have wasted $10 on this SIM card kit. Smiley Sad

When you say,"Sim" do you mean an SD Memory card?

I like to have spares around as I use them in a Digital Action Camera I use when out Motorcycling and sometimes find it easier to transfer files from my main PC to my Laptop via an SD card and a cheap USB Adaptor/Holder

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR7.TRC1.A0.H0.Xsd+card+adapto...

I also have an OTG phone Adaptor so can move files off my phone whilst out to the SD Adaptor with a spare SD card in it.

HTH Smiley Happy

soylentbean
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 151
Message 29 of 33

SIM card as in "subscriber identity module" card

Porphyrius
802.11n
Views: 149
Message 30 of 33

@soylentbean wrote:

SIM card as in "subscriber identity module" card

Ah.I get ya Smiley Happy

My provider over here is known for a bit of loose Q/C so I keep a blank unused one so I can use their,"Sim-swap" system online if ever mine goes down as I work outside the UK in Europe sometimes and can't afford to be without my phone.I also keep a spare phone on a different PAYG Network just in case ;-)

Top Kudoed Authors