Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5S / Moto G5S Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

5418 Posts

07-12-2014

United States of America

925 Signins

79600 Page Views

• Views: 79600
  • Message 11 of 18

Re: Apps continuously crashing and updates not installing on Moto g5s

2018-04-24, 19:34 PM

Do you have an SD card installed on your phone? How is it formatted? Internal or portable? Have you tried unmounting it and testing the phone without the SD card?

Regards,

JM

Options

10 Posts

07-01-2014

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

16 Signins

196 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 196
  • Message 12 of 18

2018-04-25, 9:22 AM

JM

Thank you for your update.

I was going to add an update myself today about the SD card!

I do have an 32 GB SD card installed as an internal drive.

As I have said, I have removed the apps that are continuously crashing, some I have re-installed, others simply show as "Downloading" when I try to reinstall from the Google App store but never complete.

Two apps that I have reinstalled can be moved to the internal SD card, however if I try to more them I get the following error message:

Couldn't move app. Internal error.

I will power down the phone, remove the SD card, power it back up and see if that makes a difference.

I will run it like that for a couple of days and let you know.

Kind regards,

Lee

Options

10 Posts

07-01-2014

16 Signins

196 Page Views

• Message 13 of 18

2018-04-26, 8:34 AM

Hi JM

Just a quick update for you as it has been 24 hours since I removed the SD card.

The phone's performance is greatly improved, all the updates for the apps on the phone have updated without problem and two of the apps originally moved to the SD card that I removed because they kept crashing that would no reload with the SD card inserted have now been downloaded in to the system memory.

I haven't yet deleted the SD memory card from the system, would you recommend doing that and replacing the current SD card with a new one?

As there appears to be read/write issues with the current SD memory card, reformatting it and trying it again is unlikely to be successful, and if it successful is it is likely to be a short-tem fix before it fails again rather than a long term resolution.

Kind regards,

Lee

Options

448 Posts

12-19-2017

United States of America

621 Signins

5675 Page Views

• Views: 5675
  • Message 14 of 18

2018-04-26, 12:43 PM

Just chiming in here, but I personally wouldn't recommend configuring the external SD card as internal memory. I realize that if you have a 32GB version of this phone, that it may be tempting to do that, but the very problem you're encountering is the reason why it's not really advisable to do it. It's safer and more reliable to simply configure and use the external SD card as external storage.

Options

50 Posts

01-17-2015

India

124 Signins

1378 Page Views

• Views: 1378
  • Message 15 of 18

2018-04-27, 7:32 AM
Answer
Options

5418 Posts

07-12-2014

United States of America

925 Signins

79600 Page Views

• Views: 79600
  • Message 16 of 18

2018-05-02, 17:24 PM

wrote:

Hi JM

Just a quick update for you as it has been 24 hours since I removed the SD card.

The phone's performance is greatly improved, all the updates for the apps on the phone have updated without problem and two of the apps originally moved to the SD card that I removed because they kept crashing that would no reload with the SD card inserted have now been downloaded in to the system memory.

I haven't yet deleted the SD memory card from the system, would you recommend doing that and replacing the current SD card with a new one?

As there appears to be read/write issues with the current SD memory card, reformatting it and trying it again is unlikely to be successful, and if it successful is it is likely to be a short-tem fix before it fails again rather than a long term resolution.

Kind regards,

Lee

Hello Lee,

Internetpilot said it all in his post. In a nutshell; if the SD card is formatted as internal, you can't remove it from the phone and use it in another device. It is encrypted and only your phone can read it. If you reset your phone and forget to clean off card first, data is lost as encryption key was erased from phone. Phone crashes hard and requires a reset, same thing.

Personally, I format my SD card as portable, especially since I only use it for pictures, videos, and other media files. The only reason to ever consider internal format is if you run out of room for apps. Internal is also hard on the cards. Lots of data corruption.

Regards,

JM

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

10 Posts

07-01-2014

16 Signins

196 Page Views

• Message 17 of 18

2018-07-23, 13:23 PM
Sorry for the delay in posting!

It has now been a few weeks since I replaced the SD card and, as advised, formatted it as a portable storage device and it has been working perfectly.

Thank you for your assistance, this issue is now closed.

Kind regards,

Lee
Options

2782 Posts

03-04-2016

India

1178 Signins

51495 Page Views

• Views: 51495
  • Message 18 of 18

2018-07-24, 10:02 AM

wrote:
Sorry for the delay in posting!

It has now been a few weeks since I replaced the SD card and, as advised, formatted it as a portable storage device and it has been working perfectly.

Thank you for your assistance, this issue is now closed.

Kind regards,

Lee

Hi LeeF,

Thanks for writing us back,

Glad to hear that it is working fine.

Thanks
Sandip

Moto Support

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms