cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
e2m4n
Punch Card
Views: 1,019
Message 1 of 10

April 1 update broke telephony. Is this a bad April Fool's joke?

Last week, Thursday morning, I woke up and saw a notification for a new system update.

Applied the update, and upon rebooting I found that I had no mobile network connection. "No Service" (well, "Sin Servicio", because my phone's in Spanish) which is strange because the SIM card is detected - I'm asked for the PIN and it's accepted.

I have spend the past five days trying various troubleshooting techniques, to no avail.

I have: rebooted, cleaned cache partition, changed preferred network type from 4G to 2G then rebooted and changed it back, even a factory reset (even though I knew it wouldn't make any difference)

Two interesting things I noticed:

1. In the mobile network part of Android settings, if I deactivate the option "select a network automatically" then I see a message "There was an error searching for networks". The setting appears deactivated, but doesn't take effect (if I go back and then return to the same settings screen, the setting is active)

2. In the SIM cards part of Android settings, if I deactivate the SIM then I just see a spinner that never stops. The SIM cannot be deactivated.

It's apparent to me that the recent update has a bug which breaks telephony for some people.

How can I fix this problem?

Answers to one or more of the following would be greatly appreciated:

a) Is it a known issue for which a fix exists, or for which a fix is forthcoming?

b) Can I somehow uninstall the most recent update?

c) If the last update included an update to the radio ROM, can I downgrade to the previous version of the radio ROM?

d) Failing anything else, can I return the phone for a refund? (I'm in the EU and bought the phone less than 2 years ago, however it wasn't faulty when purchased)

Please help! My previously working mobile phone is now not fit for purpose thanks to its manufacturer.

(Finally, please don't "dumb down" your answer - I've worked "in IT" for over 20 years, as support technician, programmer, QA automation developer, and manager - I know what I'm doing)

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 1,002
Message 2 of 10

Re: April 1 update broke telephony. Is this a bad April Fool's joke?

@e2m4n wrote:

Last week, Thursday morning, I woke up and saw a notification for a new system update.

Applied the update, and upon rebooting I found that I had no mobile network connection. "No Service" (well, "Sin Servicio", because my phone's in Spanish) which is strange because the SIM card is detected - I'm asked for the PIN and it's accepted.

I have spend the past five days trying various troubleshooting techniques, to no avail.

I have: rebooted, cleaned cache partition, changed preferred network type from 4G to 2G then rebooted and changed it back, even a factory reset (even though I knew it wouldn't make any difference)

Two interesting things I noticed:

1. In the mobile network part of Android settings, if I deactivate the option "select a network automatically" then I see a message "There was an error searching for networks". The setting appears deactivated, but doesn't take effect (if I go back and then return to the same settings screen, the setting is active)

2. In the SIM cards part of Android settings, if I deactivate the SIM then I just see a spinner that never stops. The SIM cannot be deactivated.

It's apparent to me that the recent update has a bug which breaks telephony for some people.

How can I fix this problem?

Answers to one or more of the following would be greatly appreciated:

a) Is it a known issue for which a fix exists, or for which a fix is forthcoming?

c) If the last update included an update to the radio ROM, can I downgrade to the previous version of the radio ROM?

d) Failing anything else, can I return the phone for a refund? (I'm in the EU and bought the phone less than 2 years ago, however it wasn't faulty when purchased)

Please help! My previously working mobile phone is now not fit for purpose thanks to its manufacturer.

(Finally, please don't "dumb down" your answer - I've worked "in IT" for over 20 years, as support technician, programmer, QA automation developer, and manager - I know what I'm doing)

Hi.

Glad to investigate. Can you provide some information?

• Who is your carrier?
  • Where did you purchase the phone?
  • Please update your profile with current serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Thanks,

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
e2m4n
Punch Card
Views: 949
Message 3 of 10

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply.

My carrier is "Pepephone" (I think they changed their name from "MasMovil" a few years ago. They also have something to do with "Yoigo", whose name is in the APN settings)

I bought the phone from PcComponentes.com

I've updated my profile with the phone's serial number, and activated both options within Motorola Privacy on the phone. Please let me know when you've had a look (I grant you permission) so that I can deactivate them again.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 910
Message 4 of 10

Hi e2m4n,

Thanks for providing further information. Appreciate the troubleshooting steps you've tried. Have you tried resetting network setting? (Settings > System > Reset > Reset  Network Settings). Please note that this will reset your WiFi, Bluetooth, and Mobile Data. If you're still not getting service, kindly send us a bug report so we can investigate. 

Normal Bug Report:
Go to Settings ->Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On
Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
Once the issue is reproduced: Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.
Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the BugReport on the forums in a reply.
Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the local time when you observed the behavior.   

To enable developer options: 
1. Go to Settings > About phone > Build number  
2. Tap Build number seven times. After the first few taps, you should see the steps counting down until you unlock the developer options. Once activated, you will see a message that reads, “You are now a developer!”
3. Go back to Settings, where you’ll find a Developer options entry in the menu

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

e2m4n
Punch Card
Views: 883
Message 5 of 10

Hi Rich,

Just reset my network settings but the problem still remains - no mobile phone service, even though the SIM card is recognised.

I'll generate and upload a bug report in the morning.

In the meantime, can either of you help with any of my original questions please? They are:

Just a yes/no response to each would be fine, though more detail on the last one would be appreciated, as it's unclear who should process the refund in this situation: the phone wasn't faulty at purchase so the retailer shouldn't be liable, it was made faulty via an update provided by the manufacturer within 2 years of purchase so the manufacturer should be liable; but it's an instance that the EU law didn't plan for and doesn't specify.
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 835
Message 6 of 10

Hi e2m4n,

Alright just let me know once you have sent the bug report. Regarding your questions; A. This is not a known issue definitely and an update should cause an issue, but the bug report will help us to investigate this. I would also recommend contacting your carrier and try another SIM card if possible, let us know what happened after; B&C. There's no native way to uninstall the recent update nor roll back to the previous version of OS; D. In US, the phone has to be within the return period days. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 750
Message 7 of 10

Hi e2m4n,

This is just a follow-up. I'm still not getting your PM for the BUG report. Let me know if you're able to send me the report. Thanks. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

e2m4n
Punch Card
Views: 634
Message 8 of 10

Hi Rich,
I sent you the bug report via PM a week ago.
Have you had a chance to look at it?
Thanks
e2m4n
Punch Card
Views: 630
Message 9 of 10

Hi again Rich,
Thanks for answering my questions.
To follow up to each in turn:
a) you're right, there aren't many other people with the same problem with this update. Searching around, it seems like there's a small potential for something to go wrong during the update process (eg. https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g5s-plus/help/moto-g5s-plus-service-8-1-update-t3895222 ) but the top Google results I see are forum posts by people who have flashed a custom ROM, or in one case dropped their phone in water! In my case I've stuck with my initial stock ROM since day one, and only updated using the built-in updater.

b&c) looking into this a bit deeper, I read that it's possible to use one of the Android tools to manually update the various parts of the firmware. I'm going to try using this MOTO Smart Assistant tool (https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds101291 ) to manually download the latest firmware and use that to update the version on the phone.

Will let you know how I get on.
e2m4n
Punch Card
Views: 607
Message 10 of 10

Well how about that? My first hunch was correct!

Here's how to fix the problem, without having to reset or erase anything:

1. download and install this lenovo app https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds101291

Now, all I really needed this app for in the end was to download the ROM for me (and fastboot.exe) and if you already have fastboot set up (or if you're not running Windows!) then you'll find it easier to Google for the filename of the ROM: SANDERS_OPS28.65_36_11_cid50_subsidy_DEFAULT_regulatory_DEFAULT_CFC.xml.zip

The app's not bad, though, and I used it to take another backup just in case (originally I thought I'd have to wipe my phone)

2. If you use the app, then go to the Flash section (there's a horizontal navigation bar along the top) and select your Moto G model using the dropdowns, then download the latest ROM.

(The app will guide you into fastboot mode before it will begin the download)

Only use the app to download and extract the ROM for you! Don't click the button that begins the recovery process because then you'll lose your data!

3. Once downloaded and extracted, I opened a command prompt and:

C:\ProgramData\LMSA\Download\RomFiles\SANDERS_OPS28.65_36_11_cid50_subsidy_DEFAULT_regulatory_DEFAULT_CFC.xml>..\..\ToolFiles\Fastboot\Fastboot\fastboot.exe flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
target max-download-size: 510MB
sending 'modem' (71941 KB)...
OKAY [  1.946s]
writing 'modem'...
OKAY [  2.221s]
finished. total time: 4.169s

C:\ProgramData\LMSA\Download\RomFiles\SANDERS_OPS28.65_36_11_cid50_subsidy_DEFAULT_regulatory_DEFAULT_CFC.xml>..\..\ToolFiles\Fastboot\Fastboot\fastboot.exe erase cache
erasing 'cache'...
OKAY [  0.031s]
finished. total time: 0.032s

C:\ProgramData\LMSA\Download\RomFiles\SANDERS_OPS28.65_36_11_cid50_subsidy_DEFAULT_regulatory_DEFAULT_CFC.xml>..\..\ToolFiles\Fastboot\Fastboot\fastboot.exe reboot
rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.001s

And that fixed it!

Now, to me it's pretty clear that there was a problem during the original update, and the modem file wasn't flashed properly for whatever reason.

In my case, I only needed to flash that modem partition, but in your case you might need to flash more partitions. A full list of fastboot flash commands can be found here: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone%2Fbootloader%2Frecovery-images

I found I didn't need to erase anything (except cache, which I did out of habit)

Hope this helps other people with the same problem.

Top Kudoed Authors