Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5S / Moto G5S Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

04-17-2021

Australia

6 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 10

Do not disturb rules not working for my MotoG5S

2021-04-17, 4:25 AM

Hello,

I have set my DND rules so that only my contacts or starred contacts can be allowed when my phone is on silent. But I tested it and no matter what, it does not work. When a starred contact calls me, my phone screen does not light up from standby mode, and there is no sound. Basically, nothing happens.

How do I activate the DND rules properly?

Options

3876 Posts

03-11-2019

United States of America

742 Signins

57885 Page Views

• Views: 57885
  • Message 2 of 10

Re:Do not disturb rules not working for my MotoG5S

2021-04-18, 15:16 PM

Hi Time_traveller,

I will be happy to assist you with this. When you enabled the Do Not disturb, did you make sure that you also set it to priority mode. Try checking the user guide for do not disturb hopefully this can help you: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/indevice_detail/a_id/116327/p/30,6720,10165

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the Thumbs up icon on the bottom right thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

5 Posts

04-17-2021

Australia

6 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

2021-04-19, 8:18 AM

Hello,

I have used priority rules, please see the attached screenshot. Not sure if I am missing something? I have added only 1 starred contact.

Screenshot_20210419-181653.png
Options

789 Posts

11-24-2020

India

117 Signins

10890 Page Views

• Views: 10890
  • Message 4 of 10

2021-04-20, 7:49 AM

@ Time_traveller wrote:

Hello,

I have used priority rules, please see the attached screenshot. Not sure if I am missing something? I have added only 1 starred contact.

Hi, 

Sorry to know about this. I will try my best to help you out. Was it working fine before? Since when you are noticing it? Does it happen only for contacts? How about the messaging app? Are you getting the messages from starred contacts in DND? 

Can you test in Safe Mode to see if this is an app issue?  Safe Mode starts the device without any third-party applications being started. This will allow you to open apps individually to try and determine which app may be causing the issue.

To go into Safe Mode, press the physical power key, then press and hold the pop-up "Power off" key until the Safe Mode instructions pop up, reboot the device to get back to normal mode. Let us know what you'll find out.

Thanks

Sunitha 

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

5 Posts

04-17-2021

Australia

6 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2021-05-02, 10:12 AM

Hello Sunitha,

Sorry for the delay in my response, I have a shifted work schedule and had to wait for some people to be available so I can use their phone to test.

When I tried getting someone on my started contact list to call me in safe mode muted DND mode, the screen lights up and shows the caller, but there is no sound.

Options

789 Posts

11-24-2020

India

117 Signins

10890 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2021-05-03, 11:14 AM

Hi Time_traveller

Thank you for testing the phone in Safe Mode. Please be informed, once you press Do not Disturb, you will see the following options: Total Silence, Alarms only, and Priority only. Make sure that you have selected “Priority only”. When you pick this mode, it lets you block all interruptions except those from people and apps you said were important. Once you choose the model you want, next is choosing the timing! You can select two different timing style options: “until you turn this off” or for an amount of time. You can pick a block of time as short as 15 minutes or as long as 12 hours. Make sure that you have selected accordingly.

If you still face the same, I would suggest you reset the app preference and check. To reset the app preference, go to settings>>Apps and Notifications>>App info>>Menu>>Reset app preference>>Ok. Restart the phone post this and test. Let me know what you will find out.  

Thanks

Sunitha

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!

Options

5 Posts

04-17-2021

Australia

6 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2021-05-03, 11:40 AM

Hello Sunitha,

I have already selected Priority only, and set it to "starred contracts".

For the reset process, I do not have an "app info" option, only app notifications. I am not sure what app Do Not Disturb is under.

Thank you

Stephanie

Options

789 Posts

11-24-2020

India

117 Signins

10890 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2021-05-04, 7:03 AM

Hi Stephanie, 

Thank you for letting us know. The reset app preference will reset all app settings to default. I would suggest you once you tap on the Apps and Notifications, tap on see all apps, click on the 3 dots at the top right corner to reset the app preference. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks

Sunitha 

Options

5 Posts

04-17-2021

Australia

6 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2021-05-05, 13:14 PM

Hello Sunita,

I have reset the app settings. DND priority rules are on. I tested with a starred contact. The phone lights up when they call while my phone is muted, but there is still no ring tone. Is that normal? I thought the priority rules means the phone should ring when a starred contact calls, not Just light up.

Additionally, I'd like o add (in case it is helpful) have Android 8.1.0, and my phone says that is the latest version.

Thank you

Stephanie

Options

5190 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3301 Signins

75931 Page Views

• Views: 75931
  • Message 10 of 10

2021-05-06, 17:26 PM

@ Time_traveller wrote:

Hello Sunita,

I have reset the app settings. DND priority rules are on. I tested with a starred contact. The phone lights up when they call while my phone is muted, but there is still no ring tone. Is that normal? I thought the priority rules means the phone should ring when a starred contact calls, not Just light up.

Additionally, I' like o add (in case it is helpful) have Android 8.1.0, and my phone says that is the latest version.

Thank you

Stephanie

Hi Stephanie,

It sounds like DND is working as designed. Let me do my best to explain how it works and share some scenarios.

If you have your phone muted and DND is enabled the phone will only show the notification for the starred contacts.

If you have your phone set to vibrate and DND is enabled the phone will show the notification and vibrate for started contacts only.

If you have your phone set to audible ring and DND is enabled the phone will ring audibly and show the notification for starred contacts only.

Essentially DND blocks notifications for non-starred contacts, it doesn't override the volume settings completely. 

Let me know if that makes sense or if I misunderstood the situation. 

Thanks,

Tom

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms