Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aloa6
Blue Screen Again
Views: 701
Message 1 of 3

G5S frequently switches 5Ghz/2.4Ghz and disconnect

Hello,

I bought my son a G5S and have an annoying problem. It switches between 5GHz and 2.4Ghz. Frequently. Randomly.  Every switch is followed by a more or less short loss of internet connectivity. With frequently it can be once in 5 minutes, in 15 minutes or every [fill in a number] minutes. Sometimes 30 minutes - just random but rarely or never reaching 1 hour between. We are a village mountainside where guests can chill out. Happens in both houses and there are not 100 other router nearby (max I can see within range of a repeater are 4 different networks). So I can disclose any problems with them. The rare DFS-warnings I could manage (see them in log) and outrule as a cause also. I can also outrule that internet is not available for all users. My laptop here is within same network and I can have a look on the ASUS RT-n66u seeing the G5S switching all the time. My laptop doesn´t switch... well... why should it? And my question here: why the heck does the Moto? My son is sitting 2m aside of the repeater. In the other house he sits 4m aside of the main router.

[The 5GHz have different name then the 2.4GHz at router btw.]

There is no option within the phone to hold this behaviour wich I would expect that it should have. Looking at this forum some G5+ users seem to have similar problems. Maybe it might be "solved" if I just tell my 3 routers (1 router, 2 repeater) to stop their 5GHz bandwith. But this sounds not only really stupid but will lead to a loss of speed for all wifi user here. We have 2 apartements, my homeoffice and there are sometimes 4 and sometimes 10 users for our line with up to 100MBit/s. No way cutting fast 5ghz for our guests only because 1 mobile phone seems to have problems to focus on one (either 2.4GHz or 5GHz).

So, I would be happy if anyone can help me to solve this problem. Perhaps there is an option I didn´t found or any other mistake we made? Would be great! If you need other informations I can give please ask.

Any help appreciated! [and sorry for my bad english]

Mebes
802.11n
Views: 689
Message 2 of 3

Re: G5S frequently switches 5Ghz/2.4Ghz and disconnect

I have read quite a few threads in this section in regards to WiFi dropping and usually the first suggestion is to try switching your access points security settings to WPA/WPA2

If that does not work you can try resetting the network settings on your phone.

Settings - Wireless & networks - More -  Network settings reset

I have both 5 and 2.4 networks at home and don't experience this issue probably because I never gave my phone the password to the 2.4 network in the first place.

If you don't need one or the other you can remove it from your saved list so it can't switch automatically.

Settings - WiFi - Gear (icon) - Saved networks

Network name - Forget

If you look around the forums here there are hints that there may be a fix in the works for WiFi issues like yours in the future, but it may be a while before it is rolled out.

Good luck

Scott

aloa6
Blue Screen Again
Views: 680
Message 3 of 3

Re: G5S frequently switches 5Ghz/2.4Ghz and disconnect

I will let my son try this tomorrow. Thank you so far! [Even not the WPA-thing as I actually have an open network.]

This seems to circumvent the issue.

Just to say this: we have 2018. No way that a device (PC, Laptop, Pone... whatever) switch between networks on it´s own. Really strange.
Top Kudoed Authors