Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gewe
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 490
Message 2 of 11

G5SPlus: NetGuard app not working properly after upgrade to Oreo

Hello,

Yesterday my Moto G5S Plus received the OTA that upgraded it to Oreo. The update installed without problems.

There is however a problem with NetGuard (a firewall app). After the upgrade it is blocking all network traffic, including traffic that should be allowed. NetGuard was working fine before the upgrade, and also worked fine on my previous phone (Moto X Play).

I tried all tips in the NetGuard FAQ, and even with help from the NetGuard author I can not solve the problem. The author has NetGuard working well on a Moto G5, which was recently upgraded to Oreo.

What is causing NetGuard to block all traffic on a Moto G5S Plus with Oreo, while it is functioning properly on a G5S Plus with Nougat, and on a G5 with Oreo?

Regards,

George

gewe
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 489
Message 1 of 11

G5SPlus: NetGuard app not working properly after upgrade to Oreo

Edit: message accidentally posted twice.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 480
Message 3 of 11

Re: G5SPlus: NetGuard app not working properly after upgrade to Oreo

@gewe wrote:

Hello,

Yesterday my Moto G5S Plus received the OTA that upgraded it to Oreo. The update installed without problems.

There is however a problem with NetGuard (a firewall app). After the upgrade it is blocking all network traffic, including traffic that should be allowed. NetGuard was working fine before the upgrade, and also worked fine on my previous phone (Moto X Play).

I tried all tips in the NetGuard FAQ, and even with help from the NetGuard author I can not solve the problem. The author has NetGuard working well on a Moto G5, which was recently upgraded to Oreo.

What is causing NetGuard to block all traffic on a Moto G5S Plus with Oreo, while it is functioning properly on a G5S Plus with Nougat, and on a G5 with Oreo?

Regards,

George

My guess is somethng didnt upgrade properly. I suggest a reset, test without any apps, then install just the netguard app and test again. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 420
Message 4 of 11

Hi gewe,

Greetings from Motorola,

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. We understand the fact that you may experience unusual changes after an update, just let the software settle in and it should normalize in a few days. After a software update, the device might need a few days to "settle" it should improve with time.

Motorola is committed to implementing essential security patches with Oreo. As new security issues emerge, developer team can evaluate them and roll out the clutter free Oreo update.

We know that It's hard to wait and we wish we were able to deliver the update faster. We both want a stable OS that's why we are preparing to test it before release, following our practice.

However, you can try as  suggested Factory Data Reset, test without any apps, then install just the Netguard app and test again.

A small workaround, can you check with different Email ID/account & let us know?

Thanks & Regards
Nikh
Lenovo-Moto Support

gewe
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 380
Message 5 of 11

I wouldn't call a Factory Data Reset a small workaround. Netguard does not use accounts or e-mail addresses, so I don't know what you mean with your remark "can you check with different Email ID/account". I did flash a complete stock ROM of the same version as the OTA installed. Same result.
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 375
Message 6 of 11

@gewe wrote:
I wouldn't call a Factory Data Reset a small workaround. Netguard does not use accounts or e-mail addresses, so I don't know what you mean with your remark "can you check with different Email ID/account". I did flash a complete stock ROM of the same version as the OTA installed. Same result.

If you are flashing roms, how do you know it isn’t something you did? Also, if flashing Roms and not erasing user data it could still be some comfigration data that doesnt like the new android. Only a full reset and setup from scratch can help pinpoint the cause - relocking the bootloader should be done as well. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
gewe
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 369
Message 7 of 11

I had the problem BEFORE flashing the ROM. The upgrade to Oreo was by an OTA update. I flashed the ROM to see if that would solve the problem (in case something went wrong during the OTA install). And it is a stock Moto G5S Pl;us ROM of exactly the same version as the OTA installed.
T13
Punch Card
Views: 301
Message 8 of 11

there is issue with network stack, I cannot connect to any website when I am over VPN. I tried a few apps from the app store. I will not be able to download anything from the app store when I am on VPN.
Support here is pathetic. They can easily duplicate the issue internally if they want to try. But they will not. the issue you reported can be duplicated internally if they tried but they will not.
gewe
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 261
Message 9 of 11

I know about the lack of support. When I bought this pone (about a year ago) it would not connect to my Parrot car kit. Parrot could not help me, since they hadn't tested this model yet. I bought another car stereo, with integrated Bluetooth car kit. Also didn't work. A few weeks later, after an OTA update my phone could connect to the car kit of the stereo, and also to the Parrot. The Bluetooth issue was not mentioned anywhere (like in the release notes). So I am keeping some hope that a (near) future update will solve the VPN problem. (Netguard sets up a VPN, so probably I am running into the same issue as you.)
gewe
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 220
Message 10 of 11

The October update unfortunately does not solve the VPN problem. Waiting for the next update...
Top Kudoed Authors