US

113 Signins

1907 Page Views

• Views: 1907
  • Message 1 of 8

Glass front coming apart from rest of phone

2019-11-18, 13:58 PM

The  glass front is spltting apart from the rest of my phone. It's not broken or cracked just lifting up and seperating. Tried gently pushing back into place but it wouldn't stay. Never dropped, always in a protective case and pocket carried. Anyone else have this happen and is there a fix? There are no Motorola shops in my city. I've had the phone for 2 years so it's out of warranty. It still works fine no other issues ever. I saw some other posts from people who had the same issue with photographs that looked just like mine. Some of the posts said the issue was caused by a bulging or swelling battery. Should I be worried about this phone blowing up in my pocket. Suggestions other

than buying a new phone?

Options

61 Posts

12-11-2015

US

113 Signins

1907 Page Views

• Message 2 of 8

Re: Glass front coming apart from rest of phone

2019-11-19, 21:16 PM

Took the phone to UbreakIfix shop. Definetely a bulging battery. They wanted $90.00 for battery replacement with no guarantee the screen would not break during the repair. Guess I will get a new phone since I'am not willing to take the risk. Bummed out, the phone still works great. Of all the smartphones I've had I never had a battery go bad after only 2 years.  New midrange phone recommendations anyone.

Options

2884 Posts

04-04-2018

IN

385 Signins

26900 Page Views

• Views: 26900
  • Message 3 of 8

2019-11-20, 6:37 AM

wrote:

The  glass front is spltting apart from the rest of my phone. It's not broken or cracked just lifting up and seperating. Tried gently pushing back into place but it wouldn't stay. Never dropped, always in a protective case and pocket carried. Anyone else have this happen and is there a fix? There are no Motorola shops in my city. I've had the phone for 2 years so it's out of warranty. It still works fine no other issues ever. I saw some other posts from people who had the same issue with photographs that looked just like mine. Some of the posts said the issue was caused by a bulging or swelling battery. Should I be worried about this phone blowing up in my pocket. Suggestions other

than buying a new phone?

Hi Greg_Dodd,

Sorry to know about this. My best advice for this situation is that you submit your device for review at one of our Service Centers. Our engineers will examine and assist you further. Kindly check the mentioned link here.

Regards,

Suman

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

61 Posts

12-11-2015

US

113 Signins

1907 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2019-11-20, 23:57 PM

Checked with authorized motorola service center. They quoted $90.00 for a battery replacement which is not reasonable for a phone I paid $229.00 for new 2 years ago.  I feel like $50.00 would be acceptable even though I would be paying to fix a known motorola battery issue. There are literally dozens of posts on this forum with the same issue yet Motorola tends to ignore their duty representing quality and good customer service but thank you for at least reading my post.

Options

2 Posts

01-05-2020

US

1 Signins

47 Page Views

• Views: 47
  • Message 5 of 8

2020-01-05, 18:25 PM

Hi there!

Sorry to hear about your problem, I had the same thing, it happen just after the warrrenty had ran out same as happen on my previous moto 3G would you believe, that was bad luck.

I never used the phone much as I do not go out much so having the phone blow up in my pocket was not too much of a concern, I think if that was going to happen it would happen whilst charging or under heavy use, which is unlikely in your pocket.

I used to keep it in a tin box in a cooler part of the house initially and it never blew up so everntually I just treated it pretty normally. The swollen battery that I took out of my old G3 never exploded either.

Anyhow, over Xmas I managed to drop it on on a hard surface and break the front glass, although the LCD display still worked behind that, but it was pretty horrible drag my fingers over broken glass so I decided to attempt a double repair, I am a pretty technical person, used to work as an eletrical engineer so I though I would at least have a shot at a repair, a new screen cost £12.50 on ebay and I already had bought a new battery for about £10 but never tried to fit it yet, now seemed a good time to try.

Initally all seems fine I power on to test the screen and it was working, however as I was re inserting the screws at some point the screen went bad, I think this may have been because I was working on it with the power on or because I stretch the cable that connects the screen to the body of the phone.

The phone was working fine apart from the display a I would get sound when booting up.

I decided to put the old smashed screen back on and that still worked, however it had developed some lines on the screen, it seems that too got damaged during the process.

Anyhow I practiced putting the old screen on and off for a while and decided it was worth buying a second new screen and having another shot at it, that was a bit of a gamble but as a new phone cost 10 times as much I though it was worth a try, fortunately that gamble paid off and I have fixed by phone changing both battery and screen!

It certainly was not easy, I looked at some youtube videos for help and bought a phone repair kit on ebay for £1 with tools and a thing to pull the screen up with, of course the bulging battery had done some of the work for me.

Two key things I think were to never put the phone on to test if the screen is working, just put it back to gether with the power off, you will find out if it worked soon enough, the second thing is to be very careful about stretching or stressing the cable that connects the screen.

I didn't have much to lose by giving it a go as I already had bought a battery, so I just needed £13 for a new screen, granted I had to buy two of them as I broke the first one.

Oh I also bought some glue to stick the new screen back on.

So it is not impossible to repair it, jsut very difficult and risky.

As your phone still works you can probably sell it on ebay for a half decent price.

A good lesson to learn here is how hard it is to change the battery and screen on your next phone, if it looks to difficult, don't buy the phone.

By the way it is easier to change the screen on the G5S  than on the plus version.

Options

61 Posts

12-11-2015

US

113 Signins

1907 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2020-01-05, 19:00 PM

Sorry about you battery issue. My G5S+ is now in a tin can on my dining room table along with two other motorola bulging batteries. One from a Droid X and one from a Droid Bionic. Never had an issue with the latter two until after I stopped using the phones. Both  droids had replaceable batteries but by the time they failed I had already moved to a new phone. I still have both old phones but don't know why. I like the Motorola mid range phones based on reliability but not the non replaceable batteries. I went ahead and purchased yet another new Motorola One Action phone to replace my G5S+.  That's loyalty for you! I just wish Moto would use better batteries or at least make them user replaceable like the old phones.  If I have anymore battery issues you can bet my loyalty to Motorola will end. I like the Moto One action except I wish it was a bit wider. I paid $299. for it new thru amazon. The very next day it was on sale for $249 just about everywhere. Amazon no longer price matches, oh well. Your experience makes me glad I didn't attempt the repair. I too am technically oriented but at my age and with arthritis, my fingers no longer work well for tasks like that. Good to know I am not the only Moto battery victim.

Options

2 Posts

01-05-2020

US

1 Signins

47 Page Views

• Views: 47
  • Message 7 of 8

2020-01-05, 22:47 PM

Yes it would not be worth even trying to fix, likely a waste of time and effort doomed to failure!

Good luck with your new phone.

Upgrading seems the right thing to do in your position and the one Action seems a decent phone which should future proof you

for a some time.

Hopefully no more battery issues!!

Options

7 Posts

06-07-2017

BR

14 Signins

114 Page Views

• Views: 114
  • Message 8 of 8

Re:Glass front coming apart from rest of phone

2020-05-15, 1:03 AM

I am from Brazil and I had the same issue with the battery. But it happened within 11 months after purchase, therefore still under warranty. I noticed that with mild use the phone was overheating, but I never gave too much attention to it because I thought it was "by design". But the overheating started to happen more frequently, especially when using the GPS under 4G while driving (even with the phone not taking direct sunlight). And then one day it became so hot it stopped working, I was able to turn it off and coll it with my car's air conditioning.

Since then I noticed the screen raising out from the frame. Took the phone to the service center and the battery was replaced under warranty.

The people were nice and cordial. But I had to return again because after 15 days the screen was coming out again not because of the battery but because the technician did a poor job fixing the screen.

About 10 months after this service, it started leaking water under the screen. I use my wet hand with a small drop of liquid soap to clean the phone, never submerging it directly under water. To my horror, a few days ago after cleaning it with my wet hands, 1/4 of the screen was showing that water had entered below the screen (the appearance of a darkened color). I was able to dry it completely with a hair dryer in the warm (not hot) setting. I repeated the cycle "warm the phone until it gets hot to the touch and let it  cool by itself" several times. I understand that if you warm it excessively it will damage the battery, this is why I took a very gentle approach to it. Fortunately after this the screen was back to normal and the colors are 100% consistent in the entire screen.

I hope Motorola read this and take some action like replacing bulging G5S batteries even after the warranty because it is clear that many of them are defective from the factory and can become a fire hazard. Also, I would suggest that Motorola make sure their technicians are skilled enough to do a perfect job. ( I refer to the only authorized Motorola service center in Curitiba, Brazil).

I will not take my G5S to the service center again to redo the fixing of the screen - they had two opportunities to do a perfect job but it is clear they are not up to it. Instead, I will sell it as it is and let the new owner decide - take it to a service center or never trust in the spill resistance of the screen.

Las week I bought a second-hand Moto G7 Plus and I'm loving it. It is still under warranty and I hope I never need it.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete