cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
ytc1
Fanfold Paper
Posts: 21
Registered: ‎03-17-2015
Location: GB
Views: 255
Message 101 of 139

Re: Just updated my G5S to Oreo - touch screen has stopped working

And if we have had a local shop trying to root it and load a new ROM, which has not succeded (due to some badly behaved Moto process that keeps failing causing a locale issue), will it still be accepted for repair ?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Posts: 196
Registered: ‎01-31-2018
Location: HU
Views: 207
Message 102 of 139

Re: Just updated my G5S to Oreo - touch screen has stopped working


@ytc1 wrote:

And if we have had a local shop trying to root it and load a new ROM, which has not succeded (due to some badly behaved Moto process that keeps failing causing a locale issue), will it still be accepted for repair ?


Hi! 


In case, the bootloader on your device has been unlocked (rooted), unfortunately, your device will not be repaired under warranty conditions, and a quotation will be raised by the repair center. 

 

Thank you for understanding!

Katalin

STDog
Token Ring
Posts: 472
Registered: ‎12-28-2013
Location: US
Views: 188
Message 103 of 139

Re: Just updated my G5S to Oreo - touch screen has stopped working


@MattForumsMngr wrote:

I have asked if it's possible to provide a "roll-back" to Nougat. I know it's not something we could do over the air -- service would be required.

 


It can be done. Has been done over on XDA.

But, it's not a simple task because Oreo changes the ownership of some important files that can be difficult to reset.

And honestly I'm not sure the average service tech could get it right.


STDog
Token Ring
Posts: 472
Registered: ‎12-28-2013
Location: US
Views: 179
Message 104 of 139

Re: Just updated my G5S to Oreo - touch screen has stopped working


@hivacruz wrote:

So just don't do any "bootloader" command and "erase modems" otherwise you will be brick your phone or you can be sure you will lose your IMEI/Network.


There's a fix to restore the permissions in one partition (persist) so that the modem partitions can be properly rebuilt.

That problem was discovered and fixed when people using custoe Oreo tried to go back to N.
(Unfortunately some people replaced the persist partition, which is specific to each phone,so the fix won't work)

 

Those changed permissions may be the cause of your fingerprint scanner issues.

STDog
Token Ring
Posts: 472
Registered: ‎12-28-2013
Location: US
Views: 177
Message 105 of 139

Re: Just updated my G5S to Oreo - touch screen has stopped working


@Agent-Katalin wrote:

@ytc1 wrote:

And if we have had a local shop trying to root it and load a new ROM, which has not succeded (due to some badly behaved Moto process that keeps failing causing a locale issue), will it still be accepted for repair ?


Hi! 


In case, the bootloader on your device has been unlocked (rooted), unfortunately, your device will not be repaired under warranty conditions, and a quotation will be raised by the repair center. 

 

Thank you for understanding!

Katalin


There's no understanding. The update broke the device. Attempts to fix it while waiting for a response don't invalidte that.

It should be covered under warranty.


As to that, the mere requestuing of an unlock code should ot void anything either.
If requested then not used, it hasn't been unlocked. That's not a valid reason to invalidte warranty.

STDog
Token Ring
Posts: 472
Registered: ‎12-28-2013
Location: US
Views: 174
Message 106 of 139

Re: Just updated my G5S to Oreo - touch screen has stopped working


@ytc1 wrote:

And if we have had a local shop trying to root it and load a new ROM, which has not succeded (due to some badly behaved Moto process that keeps failing causing a locale issue), will it still be accepted for repair ?


You best bet is to keep working with them. Plenty have downgraded without such issues.

They missed something. They need to get on XDA and follow the proper fix.

 

Highlighted
STDog
Token Ring
Posts: 472
Registered: ‎12-28-2013
Location: US
Views: 170
Message 107 of 139

Re: Just updated my G5S to Oreo - touch screen has stopped working


@MarcusLopez85 wrote:

So, I follow followed the guidence of Hivacruise by fastbooting and imputting the commands and now my device says...

Sounds like you used the wrong files. Can you get back to fastboot mode? If you can, I'd start over. Make sure you have the right files for your device
hivacruz
Punch Card
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎10-30-2018
Location: FR
Views: 138
Message 108 of 139

Re: Just updated my G5S to Oreo - touch screen has stopped working

Thanks but I already tried to fix my scanner issue with the persist patch on TWRP, it didn't work.

When running a CQATest, trying to test the fingerprint sensor, the app craches. I guess my scanner might be dead after all the attempts to repair my screen, I must have damaged it. I already bought another one for 7$, I will see!
STDog
Token Ring
Posts: 472
Registered: ‎12-28-2013
Location: US
Views: 130
Message 109 of 139

Re: Just updated my G5S to Oreo - touch screen has stopped working


@hivacruz wrote:
Thanks but I already tried to fix my scanner issue with the persist patch on TWRP, it didn't work.

bummer.

Thought it worth a try even though I had not see fingerprint issues mentioned in the relate threads.

 


@hivacruz wrote:
I guess my scanner might be dead after all the attempts to repair my screen, I must have damaged it. I already bought another one for 7$, I will see!

 

At least it's a cheap part.

mdskids
Punch Card
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎10-28-2018
Location: GB
Views: 128
Message 110 of 139

Re: Just updated my G5S to Oreo - touch screen has stopped working

I guess my scanner might be dead after all the attempts to repair my screen, 


That wouldn't surprise me - a while ago my fingerprint scanner stopped working after a screen change and when I investigated I found a tear in the ribbon cable.

Top Kudoed Authors