Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
STDog
Token Ring
Views: 675
Message 171 of 185

Re: Just updated my G5S to Oreo - touch screen has stopped working

Good to hear the seller was wprki g to find compatible screens and got one to you.

That-Will-Bloke
Fanfold Paper
Views: 618
Message 172 of 185

Well done getting Moto/Lenovo to do this - your tencity has paid off!

I have had exactly the same issue as others here - my phone was bought through John Lewis and went back to Anovo for 'repair' under warranty. Anovo found the aftermarket display (which I had not considered to be an issue....more fool me) and like others, Anovo wanted £75 to put a motorola display in it first before any further work. I did not have ht energy to argue and asked them just to return my phone to me unfixed. They then asked for £20 return fee - this seemed unfair so I went back to JL who said they will get it back to their store for collection.

Good to see I might be able to roll it back to an earlier OS, but would really like Motorola to pull that update and make one which does not brick phones which were previosuly OK.

The saddest thing was the first replacement display already cost me £75 (with fitting - I did not trust myself) 

Pondis
Fanfold Paper
Views: 611
Message 173 of 185

All I have learnt from this is never to buy a Lenovo/ motorola anything.

I just bought a new Laptop. From Acer. Who are respectable.

Keycare
Paper Tape
Views: 598
Message 174 of 185

I stamped my feet and got a repaired phone back from Lenovo.

I said, all I want is the phone to be returned to me in the condition it was before the update (i.e. working and with Android v7.1). That is my right and that is the remedy that they must provide. The fact is, they can't roll-back the update so after about 3 weeks to-ing and fro-ing they gave-in.

@Pondis
Highlighted
Pondis
Fanfold Paper
Views: 592
Message 175 of 185

I rooted my wifes phone and installed the previous version on it and it works perfectly now.

Comes to something when a community of modders has to fix a problem caused by an international, multi million dollar company that has no idea how to solve.
Hgardner
Core Memory
Views: 574
Message 176 of 185

Hi all, 

Hopefully this should be my last update for you, I have now received a new Moto G6 plus (instead of my Moto G5s which was lost at Anovo/PDP when in for repair) it has taken sometime to sort out and have found Anovo to be most unhelpful in every way. Motorola have been helpful if not a bit slow to get things moving. I know things can go wrong, and I understand their stance to say that it was our fault for not using original spares, so I suppose in theory they didn't have to do anything. Would I buy another Moto product, Yes, they are great products that's why I bought them in the first place, I'll just try and not break the screen again. Hope you all manage to get your phone sorted, have a great 2019.

That-Will-Bloke
Fanfold Paper
Views: 554
Message 177 of 185

Well done on getting yours sorted with Anovo/Motorola.

"I know things can go wrong, and I understand their stance to say that it was our fault for not using original spares, so I suppose in theory they didn't have to do anything." - I wish they had at least put a warning on the update so that it said something like  - "please note this may not work with non-OEM parts" or had a test routine to see if it might encounter any issues with the hardware before it installed.

I hope I can get my rolled back (when I get it back....) - I really liked it when it worked!

zakk87
Punch Card
Views: 470
Message 178 of 185

Has anyone with broken touchpan can try reviver kernel? Changelog said: Add support for Himax Touchscreen panel.

Maybe is the cure for our pain?

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=78662889

Mike1986
Fanfold Paper
Views: 58
Message 179 of 185

Hi all,

I broke my screen last year and was told by Motorola that I must send them the phone for assessment before a repair quote was issued. If I didn't want to pay for a repair, I would have to pay an undisclosed fee for the privilege of having my phone returned. This fee could be absolutely anything. £10...£100...£1000, who knows? Motorola would not give any indication whatsoever of the magnitude of the fee until they had received my phone. 

Naturally, I wasn't going to open myself up to that kind of risk so I replaced the screen myself. Oreo then killed the screen .

I'm currently rolled back to Nougat to allow the phone to work but I'd like to be able to use Oreo so I can use Google pay etc without having to hide the rooted status of the phone.

Is there a fix for this issue yet? Are Motorola/Lenovo planning on issuing a software update? Is there a reputable UK vendor of known working replacement screens?

ytc1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 48
Message 180 of 185

@Mike1986 wrote:

Hi all,

I broke my screen last year and was told by Motorola that I must send them the phone for assessment before a repair quote was issued. If I didn't want to pay for a repair, I would have to pay an undisclosed fee for the privilege of having my phone returned. This fee could be absolutely anything. £10...£100...£1000, who knows? Motorola would not give any indication whatsoever of the magnitude of the fee until they had received my phone. 

Naturally, I wasn't going to open myself up to that kind of risk so I replaced the screen myself. Oreo then killed the screen .

I'm currently rolled back to Nougat to allow the phone to work but I'd like to be able to use Oreo so I can use Google pay etc without having to hide the rooted status of the phone.

Is there a fix for this issue yet? Are Motorola/Lenovo planning on issuing a software update? Is there a reputable UK vendor of known working replacement screens?

Firstly, congratulations in rolling it back, not everyone was able to do that:-)

The fee for return? They do state it, approx £21 IIRC.

I don't believe that Moto are going to release any updates, but there are screens available that will work, and someone listed them in this thread ... somewhere.

The only other alterative, that a few of us managed, was to send the phone to Moto/Lenovo, reference this thread (there is an entry stating the screen will be replaced) and just keep on at them.

Top Kudoed Authors