03-02-2018

US

7 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 161 of 182

Re: MOTO G5s Plus:Picture quality changes after taking photos

2018-04-12, 5:31 AM

For me the picture quality has really improved since the update.

Options

88 Posts

05-23-2017

IN

199 Signins

1542 Page Views

• Views: 1542
  • Message 162 of 182

2018-04-12, 5:39 AM

You will notice the difference if you try clicking a picture of a document or newspaper. It's pretty much evident in regular pictures but documents with text on them will help you notice it easily. You will find it's too noisy and disturbs the eye if you try reading from it unlike Lenovo K5 Note which I don't use anymore coz it has different issues lol Lenovo always has something buggy going on with their devices.

I agree that portrait mode has improved a lot and is faster now. 

Options

440 Posts

12-19-2017

US

611 Signins

5615 Page Views

• Views: 5615
  • Message 163 of 182

2018-04-12, 9:55 AM

wrote:

Well, the advertisements and promotion of this device focused a lot on dual cam and stuff. So, I expect this device to do some good with those pictures without me having to workaround by using a third party app. Moto really sucks lately. Already switching to One Plus.

What 3rd-party app are you referring to? We're currently all talking about the results of using the newly updated Moto Camera 2 app. I mentioned using the Google Camera app (which requires root) only as a comparison of image quality. Even though I did root my phone specifically so I could use the Google Camera app, I've now switched back to using the Moto Camera 2 app as the default camera app. 

Options

88 Posts

05-23-2017

IN

199 Signins

1542 Page Views

• Message 164 of 182

2018-04-12, 10:05 AM
I am only adding to your point. I would like to see Moto Camera performing the way it was advertised.
Options

440 Posts

12-19-2017

US

611 Signins

5615 Page Views

• Message 165 of 182

2018-04-12, 10:11 AM

What more can you expect Moto to do other than update their camera app? Are they supposed to request we all send our phones in so they can replace the camera hardware? 

Options

88 Posts

05-23-2017

IN

199 Signins

1542 Page Views

• Message 166 of 182

2018-04-12, 10:25 AM

What I expect them to do is not promise something they can't achieve. If they are advertising based on dual cam feature, it's supposed to be up to the mark.

I don't care about the update at all. Consider me as a very basic user. I don't care about how they work on the Camera. I only expect the Camera to perform the way it was advertised.

I don't know if you have tried other devices from Moto/Lenovo. The thing is they promise stuff, updates and they abandon the ideas down the line. 

I have used Moto devices when it was owned by Google or even when it was independent and the experience back then has been super awesome compared to the service being provided by Motorola owned by Lenovo. I don't blame Moto Team. I blame Lenovo for all this buggy, careless work that has been going on.

Surprisingly, Lenovo K8 note uses Moto camera and the performance is 80% better than Moto G5s plus. Now you see where all that hard work is going to.

Options

440 Posts

12-19-2017

US

611 Signins

5615 Page Views

• Message 167 of 182

2018-04-12, 13:58 PM

wrote:

What I expect them to do is not promise something they can't achieve. If they are advertising based on dual cam feature, it's supposed to be up to the mark.

I don't care about the update at all. Consider me as a very basic user. I don't care about how they work on the Camera. I only expect the Camera to perform the way it was advertised.

I don't know if you have tried other devices from Moto/Lenovo. The thing is they promise stuff, updates and they abandon the ideas down the line. 

I have used Moto devices when it was owned by Google or even when it was independent and the experience back then has been super awesome compared to the service being provided by Motorola owned by Lenovo. I don't blame Moto Team. I blame Lenovo for all this buggy, careless work that has been going on.

Surprisingly, Lenovo K8 note uses Moto camera and the performance is 80% better than Moto G5s plus. Now you see where all that hard work is going to.

I don't see how they haven't delivered what they advertised when it comes to the dual camera. That function has worked exactly as advertised from the initial release date of the phone to currently. The latest update to their Moto Camera 2 app is a vast overall improvement to the functionality of the entire camera feature above and beyond anything they advertised for this phone. With this latest update there are actually several new functions in Moto Camera 2 that were not advertised. So the situation seems to be the exact opposite of what you're claiming.

Being a career network engineer, I've been using Lenova products for decades. Their various laptops series continually switch back and forth with the Apple MacBook for being rated the best laptop in the world. People like me (large corporate tech decision makers) consider Lenovo products to be one of the best currently available. 

As for Motorola, I think you might be surprised at just how separate of a company the still are even after being bought by Lenovo (and how separate they were during their Google ownership, too). Lenovo is basically just rebranding Motorola tech, but that's pretty much it. Prior to this phone, I had a Google/Motorola Nexus 6, and I can tell you that in technology terms, the Moto G5S Plus is VASTLY superior to the Nexus 6 in just about every way. The only way the Nexus 6 beats this phone is because of the Nexus designation because that gets it more attention directly from Google (regardless of Google owning Moto at the time -- Huawei, LG, HTC, etc. gets the same Nexus/Pixel attention from Google now), and that also gets it more attention from 3rd-party developers and accessory manufacturers. Other than that, this Lenovo Moto phone is vastly superior to anything put out during the Google Moto era, and the Google Motorola Nexus 6 was a $700 phone (more than 2x the price of this Lenovo Motorola phone). 

Is it a perfect phone? No, but there really is no such thing, so I'd much rather pay $300 for a not perfect but still great phone than pay $1,000 for a not perfect but great phone (like Samsung, Apple, etc.).

Options

6 Posts

12-16-2017

PT

13 Signins

126 Page Views

• Views: 126
  • Message 168 of 182

2018-04-12, 15:07 PM

@Internetpilot, there is one thing I disaggree with you, and it is the moto g 5s plus being superior in every aspect than nexus 6. At least the camera performance of the nexus 6 is much better than the moto g5s plus if you disregard all the dual camera exclusive features (like selective blur), starting with the HDR algorithm from Google wich is one of the best out there.

I believe the major problems with this phone's camera are software related and I'm very excited seeing Lenovo is still releasing updates to the camera app. I agree there are some improvments when compared to the last version of the camera app but the quality is still not there, even for a camera of a 300$ device (there are other mid range phones out there with a slight better camera performace than this phone). I hope Lenovo continues investing in upgrading the camera's app.

Options

440 Posts

12-19-2017

US

611 Signins

5615 Page Views

• Message 169 of 182

2018-04-12, 15:36 PM

I completely agree with you about the Google Camera app, but that's software -- not hardware, and like I said, the entire reason why the Nexus 6 used the Google Camera and Google's cam2api was because it was a Nexus. Otherwise, the Nexus 6 (by any other name other than Nexus) would've likely had the Moto Camera app instead.

I've rooted my G5S Plus, and since the stock ROM is 32-bit (just like the Nexus 6)  I'm running an older 32-bit port of the Google Camera (probably a slightly newer version than the Nexus 6 had), and the photo quality is easily as good as I was getting with the Nexus 6. So, even if we say the G5S Plus and Nexus 6 have identical image quality with the Google Camera app, the G5S Plus is still head and shoulders above the Nexus 6 in all other features.

And it's not that I'm comparing a current model phone with a 3-4 year old model  because the Huawei Nexus 6p, which was released just a year after the release of the Nexus 6 was also vastly superior in technology and feature set to the Nexus 6.

I really liked my Nexus 6, but looking back on it now, it just wasn't that well featured of a phone, and that was at the height of Google's ownership of Motorola. Since then the Moto E and G series have been better phones than the Nexus 6, and the Moto X and Z  series are truly in a completely different class. So, Lenovo's Motorola doing so much worse than Google's? I don't think so...at all.

Options

88 Posts

05-23-2017

IN

199 Signins

1542 Page Views

• Message 170 of 182

2018-04-12, 15:42 PM

I disagree with your point mentioning Lenovo buying Motorola has no ill effects. Motorola always used to be among those brands which provide timely and early android updates. In fact, at times Motorola used to be the first one to roll out updates.

Things have changed a lot since Lenovo has taken over the company. I don't know how you can't see these changes.

Also, all of the new devices in Lenovo K series comes out with Moto Camera as the default Camera app. Well, I understand this is again a result of Lenovo taking over the company and I refuse to treat them as separate brands anymore. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete