Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ledan
What's DOS?
Views: 487
Message 1 of 7

Moto 5gs plus - extremely laggy [8.1.0]

Hi all,

I already know there are several (multiple) users that has this same issue, but no one seem to have a solution.

Myself (and my wife and one of the sons) each have the 5gs plus phone. they have worked perfectly fine up until the 8.1.0 update was rolled out (which myself and the better half installed but not the son). Now, the phony is extremely laggy very often. Swiping/touching the screen inside apps or in the drawer causes the whole UI to hiccup for sometimes seconds before deciding to follow along. 

This is very annoying indeed. I have of course tried everyone of the "solutions" for this (restart in safe-mode, reboot into recovery->clearing cache, etc) and nothing works. It remains extremely laggy.

I would be very willing to downgrade to the previous (well working) version, but apparently Lenovo/Moto does not support this (as i've understand it, risking to brick the phone) so the question is really:  How do i/we solve this issue? I can not believe that anyone over at Lenovo/Moto is unaware of this "dodo" of theirs?? Hopefully, there are activities inside this company to resolve this issue with some "fix" and soon, because if not, that would be horrific PR for the brand...

Idk if any representative of this company reads on these forums, but if they do, then by all means, tell us what the plans are to fix this issue.

Highlighted
EvK76
Punch Card
Views: 475
Message 2 of 7

Re: Moto 5gs plus - extremely laggy [8.1.0]

Sorry no solution to be expected from Moto the company who thought it would be okay to keep using an antique 32bit kernel on 64bit capable hardware. And on top of that as one of the very few manufacturers Frankenstein their own 32bit Oreo version with prerelease (not production ready) software components. The company who thinks its acceptable break update promises with the excuse that its to hard to do, incompetence is the norm here. And sadly the g5s plus is almost at the end of its support period so you S.O.L. me to for that matter my g5s plus is also laggy and stops responding regularly.
ledan
What's DOS?
Views: 415
Message 3 of 7

Unfortunately, i guess you are quite right Smiley Sad The only thing i would hope for is that they at least restore the functionality, the rest i don't care about that much.

One thing will be sure: next phone will not be a Moto/Lenovo. Thats too bad.
DrJeff
Paper Tape
Views: 329
Message 4 of 7

I have the same problem with two Moto G5S for my wife and myself. We have diff apps, but both noticed the slowdown after Oreo 8.1 updated. It is unacceptable for Lenovo to require us to hard reset our devices once a day to achieve acceptable performance. When is Moto going to push out an OS update to fix this? They need to own up to this widespread problem. Otherwise, give us a downgrade/rollback process to follow. I was initially thrilled with my purchase of these two phones. Now, I am getting daily grief.

ledan
What's DOS?
Views: 251
Message 5 of 7

I know what you mean. That is unacceptable.

I got fed up finally and went rogue (requesting unlock keys, installing twrp and Lineage OS (latest) android 9. Finally the phone is acting liquid again and all lag is gone.

Basically what Moto/Lenovo should have done in a patch-update.

Recommended thing to do for everyone imho.

DrJeff
Paper Tape
Views: 233
Message 6 of 7

Thank you, very helpful. I am willing to go rogue as well. What exactly do I need to request and from whom? Unlock keys?

ledan
What's DOS?
Views: 229
Message 7 of 7

This guide here is quite good to follow: https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g5s-plus/development/root-moto-g5s-plus-t3673287

And then you have a wide array of OS distributions to choose from. I went with LineageOS (https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g5s-plus/development/lineageos-moto-g5s-plus-21-09-2018-t38450...) but you also have Google Pixel, etc

(all from here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g5s-plus/development)

Basically you extract the keys from your own phone(s), then go to the Moto unlock page (official - link in the first guide above) and request the unlock.

Top Kudoed Authors