cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
linuxexpert
Fanfold Paper
Views: 401
Message 1 of 5

Moto G5S no security updates since Feb 2019 (> 6 months!)

Hi,

my Moto G5S is still on security patch level 1. Feb 2019 (reteu software channel). Needless to say, it's outdated. Searching for updates does not help, it says "Your device is up to date". Current version: OPPS28.65-37-7-4.

What can I do to get my system updated? I'm not looking for the most recent features, just the security updates.

Can the admins please check why my phone isn't receiving updates? I added the information on IMEI to my profile. Options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well. 

Thanks!

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 307
Message 2 of 5

Re: Moto G5S no security updates since Feb 2019 (> 6 months!)

@linuxexpert wrote:

Hi,

my Moto G5S is still on security patch level 1. Feb 2019 (reteu software channel). Needless to say, it's outdated. Searching for updates does not help, it says "Your device is up to date". Current version: OPPS28.65-37-7-4.

What can I do to get my system updated? I'm not looking for the most recent features, just the security updates.

Can the admins please check why my phone isn't receiving updates? I added the information on IMEI to my profile. Options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well. 

Thanks!

Hi linuxexpert,

Please be advised that Motorola is committed to implementing essential security patches. As new security issues emerge, we will evaluate them and update your phone as needed.

Regards,

Swaraj

Motorola Support

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
linuxexpert
Fanfold Paper
Views: 295
Message 3 of 5

Hi @Agent_Swaraj,

if that's the case, then there would be an update for my Moto G5S as multiple critical security issues have been fixed in May 2019:

https://source.android.com/security/bulletin/2019-05-01

When will the security updates be shipped to my phone?

EvK76
Punch Card
Views: 251
Message 4 of 5

Argh even here the same stupid copy paste answers as on Twitter. So it takes six months to "evaluate" security patches..... Even when the Enterprise recommend requirements specify that update should be applied within 90days. Does this imply that Moto did such a great job frankensteining Oreo to 32bits it is now the most secure version of android or have they just lost all interest in the g5s series
Highlighted
linuxexpert
Fanfold Paper
Views: 188
Message 5 of 5

Well, I bought myself a Google Pixel 3A and sold my Moto G5S for cheap. Will never get myself any stupid unmaintained Chinese phone ever again. Cheers!

Top Kudoed Authors