01-26-2019

US

3 Signins

138 Page Views

• Views: 138
  • Message 1 of 2

Moto G5s Plus dies whenever sleeps after Oct/Dec updates

2019-01-26, 5:04 AM

After the October Oreo upgrade, my G5s Plus would die when it sleeps. When I moved it or picked it up, it would be dark, and I would have to reboot it. However, it soon got better and was okay until now. After this December Security Update, it dies several times a day, as well as overnight. Every time it sleeps or charges, it dies and has to be rebooted to awaken. Whether it is on my home Wi-Fi or on a business's Wi-Fi, it dies while sleeping. I had a long wait for a car repair this morning, and it died at least twice there. When I got home, I finished recharging it, from about 75% to 100%. While charging, it displayed the usual charging screens, but when I unplugged the charger, it was dark again. It went dark and had to be rebooted several more times after that this afternoon and evening. After one reboot, I thought I saw a notification indicating the Security Update hadn't been done or completed, because I had happened to have Wi-Fi off when I told it to update, but I had chosen to update over both Wi-Fi and Cell. However, any checks for updates says it is updated. My carrier wants me to nuke it back to factory defaults, but I very much prefer to avoid that. Any other suggestions? It's on 8.1.0 with Dec 1, 2018 patch and build OPSS28.65-36-6.

Solved! See the solution
Options

2 Posts

01-26-2019

US

3 Signins

138 Page Views

• Views: 138
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Moto G5s Plus dies whenever sleeps after Oct/Dec updates

2019-01-26, 21:54 PM

I seem to have guessed the trigger for this issue, although without being a developer or engineer who can read the logs, I don't know whether this is the root cause: Do not disturb. The October Oreo upgrade added Settings > System > System UI Tuner > Status bar, and Do not disturb, with the disclaimer, "These experimental features may change, break, or disappear in future releases. Proceed with caution." They were right -- I turned off Do not disturb completely last night, and the phone hasn't died overnight or all day, despite sleeping sometimes.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete