Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Internetpilot
HDMI
Views: 5,060
Message 21 of 3,909

Re: Moto g5s plus oreo update

@Eldhose007 wrote:

You don't expect the recent model of a smartphone company having 2-3 months old security patch.Even the older models have got November update. You definitely can't explain that. Lenovo is an international brand, so it's expected to bring out updates at least close to their competitors not after decades.

Not all security vulnerabilities apply to all phones just because they're running Android OS.  There are also hardware differences even in the same phone (depending on region of the world, carrier used, etc.).  A perfect example of this is any NFC related security patch wouldn't apply to my G5S Plus because the USA version doesn't even have NFC.  

At this point, at the worst, we're only one month behind on security patches -- we don't have a November one yet.  Did those security issues affect our specific phone?

If you want it any faster, then you should probably unlock the bootloader, root the phone, and flash a custom ROM.  Otherwise, whether you like it or not, you're on Lenovo/Moto's timetable, which is beyond our control.  

kcoupons
What's DOS?
Views: 5,035
Message 22 of 3,909

I vaguely remember reading something about the indian model getting the November secrity patch.  If this is true, I am saddened that the American model that I am using is still stuck on the august Security Patch.  Hopefully Project Treble will be enabled in their Android 8 Oreo build so at least we will get the latest security patches from google.

Eldhose007
SCSI Port
Views: 5,021
Message 23 of 3,909

No, Indian model is having October update. Moto g5 plus got November update.

kcoupons
What's DOS?
Views: 5,009
Message 24 of 3,909

Hmm, I have the Moto G5 Plus XT1687 (US model) and im still stuck on the August Update tooScreenshot_20180102-193249.pngScreenshot_20180102-193252.png.  (see screenshots)

Internetpilot
HDMI
Views: 4,883
Message 25 of 3,909

This is the G5S/G5S Plus forum -- not the G5 forum.  The G5S/G5S Plus is on Android v7.1.1., whereas your phone is still on Android v7.0.  Different phone, different hardware, different OS version -- it's difficult to make a true comparison under such circumstances.  

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 4,856
Message 26 of 3,909

@Eldhose007 wrote:

Anyone having information regarding the oreo update of Moto g5s plus? Seems Moto is digging it's own grave delayed security patch updates, no news about oreo.

We understand this answer may be disappointing but we have no released information about the ETA on the update. You will receive a notification on your phone once it is available. Thanks for your patience.

Regards,
Daisy
Moto Support

Eldhose007
SCSI Port
Views: 4,855
Message 27 of 3,909

Thnx Moto_Daisy, although disappointing you at least admitted that there is no official news regarding it. Internet pilot I don't know why it is difficult for you to understand a simple thing. So you mean to say a device which came months earlier has better technology to the one released now, I don't know on what basis you're trying to prove this which basically has no essence of logic

avercros
Paper Tape
Views: 4,846
Message 28 of 3,909

I sold this device and got a mi a1, good bye delayed security patches and updates.

Moto... not even once.

Internetpilot
HDMI
Views: 4,828
Message 29 of 3,909

@Eldhose007 wrote:

Internet pilot I don't know why it is difficult for you to understand a simple thing. So you mean to say a device which came months earlier has better technology to the one released now, I don't know on what basis you're trying to prove this which basically has no essence of logic

Actually, the lack of logic is attempting to compare two totally different phones from two totally different manufacturers running two totally different versions of Android, etc.

If you want AndroidOne speed of OS/security updates, then you bought the wrong phone. This isn't an AndroidOne device.

Eldhose007
SCSI Port
Views: 4,329
Message 30 of 3,909

Actually I was talking about Moto g5 plus

Top Kudoed Authors