Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EvK76
Punch Card
Views: 1,977
Message 3881 of 3,909

Re: Moto g5s plus oreo update

For me this is only a elaborate skin. Why?
1. Because, as I see it, it's build on a 32bit eol kernel which was first used in the aosp release of marshmallow so even for the first nougat updates of older models this kernel was used. This kernel was already eol when the g5 series was launched. And then they took the cheap and easy way and used this to build the initial nougat rom for the g5 series, instead of building a new nougat rom based on the aosp release of nougat which was released with kernel version 4.4 So esentialy the g5 series Oreo version is based on a marshmallow version which has been upgraded twice.
2. The use of prereleased (not production ready) software components shows that they had to go through a hell of lot work and patching to get Oreo components to work on the antique kernel and other recycled stuff. Nice that they got it working but that is something I would expect in the custom community and not in a corporation like Motorola. The custom community would probably do it better and faster.

These are the main two reasons why I call it a facelift instead of an update. And after researching a bit more for this reply I'm even more convinced. It is build on a Marshmallow foundation with two version "updates" installed over it. Maybe for my next phone I'll do this research before I buy and don't do it based on the reputation a brand had for having good and fast software support. Because Motorola have really lost the plot and are now amongst the worst ones in the business.

genacgenac
Punch Card
Views: 1,928
Message 3882 of 3,909

@STDog wrote:

@EvK76 wrote:

their failure to deliver a real Oreo update, instead of the Nougat facelift they dare to call Oreo.  

What are you talking about? It android 8.1. Nothing fake about it.

If only it were merely fake and not poisonous.  

genacgenac
Punch Card
Views: 1,820
Message 3883 of 3,909

@STDog wrote:

@EvK76 wrote:

their failure to deliver a real Oreo update, instead of the Nougat facelift they dare to call Oreo.  

What are you talking about? It android 8.1. Nothing fake about it. 

Indeed, that's the problem.

Jonajuarez
Paper Tape
Views: 1,747
Message 3884 of 3,909

@Eldhose007

@Eldhose007 wrote:

Anyone having information regarding the oreo update of Moto g5s plus? Seems Moto is digging it's own grave delayed security patch updates, no news about oreo.

@Eldhose007 wrote:

Anyone having information regarding the oreo update of Moto g5s plus? Seems Moto is digging it's own grave delayed security patch updates, no news about oreo.

wrote:

Autotraker
HDMI
Views: 1,731
Message 3885 of 3,909

@EvK76 wrote:

For me this is only a elaborate skin. Why?
1. Because, as I see it, it's build on a 32bit eol kernel which was first used in the aosp release of marshmallow so even for the first nougat updates of older models this kernel was used. This kernel was already eol when the g5 series was launched. And then they took the cheap and easy way and used this to build the initial nougat rom for the g5 series, instead of building a new nougat rom based on the aosp release of nougat which was released with kernel version 4.4 So esentialy the g5 series Oreo version is based on a marshmallow version which has been upgraded twice.
2. The use of prereleased (not production ready) software components shows that they had to go through a hell of lot work and patching to get Oreo components to work on the antique kernel and other recycled stuff. Nice that they got it working but that is something I would expect in the custom community and not in a corporation like Motorola. The custom community would probably do it better and faster.

These are the main two reasons why I call it a facelift instead of an update. And after researching a bit more for this reply I'm even more convinced. It is build on a Marshmallow foundation with two version "updates" installed over it. Maybe for my next phone I'll do this research before I buy and don't do it based on the reputation a brand had for having good and fast software support. Because Motorola have really lost the plot and are now amongst the worst ones in the business.

That's exactly the reason Google changed the policy and from Pie forward the OEM builds must be built on the currect kernel instead of just doing a facelift on a old kernel. And its also the reason why Motorola will never update this or many other phones to Pie. They would have to do a fresh build using the Pie kernel instead of doing a facelift to a Marshmellow or Oreo kernel. It might stem back to hardware support. They might not have access to all the updated bits and pieces supplied by the various hardware vendors to support the newer kernels. At any rate, you are exactly right that the Oreo update on this phone was a facelift and not a clean Oreo upgrade. Not sure if its a question of incompetence or just not caring. I do know it already cost them a few sales to me and will cost them sales to me in the future. I skipped purchasing anything in their 2018 lineup and will probably skip purchasing anything from them in 2019.

EvK76
Punch Card
Views: 1,697
Message 3886 of 3,909

If there was an award for ruining a brands reputation Lenovo would win by a landslide for the way they wrecked Motorola. What you said about being incompetent or not caring. I thinks its both how else could you explain whats happening. Even the g6 and g6 play were released on what I suspect almost the same ROM now running on the g5s. They both are on the same kernel and 32 bits. For the g6 play they did a little bit of work and made a 64 bit version of the same old kernel. It al just screams incompetent management that doesn't care about the customer as for the developers I don't know but it seams more likely they are not allowed to build roms with newer kernels because it would cost money to develop, what the incompetent managers don't realise is that when nobody buys the crap they produce eventually there is no money left to pay their big salaries.

praveenraher
Vacuum Tubes
Views: 1,084
Message 3887 of 3,909

Except Moto G5s Plus almost every device having Snapdragon 625 chipset supports HIGH Frame Rate of PUBG mobile (in Balanced Graphics) including its closest comptitor Mi A2, Redmi Y2 and many more.

Why motorola you are not fully utilising hardware? As Oreo is a 64 bit OS but you have given forcefully 32 bit Oreo to Moto G users.

While playing games, notifications keeps poping up on screen from Whats App, Telegram etc. Even while Data Saver, Battery Saver and DND are on. 

• what is the use of Data saver mode? while apps in background already are consuming Data.
  • Battery saver mode only reduces animations, no background data restrictions for better battery backup.
  • DND mode is completly useless. Phone keeps viberating from apps notification even in DND modeWhatsApp Image 2019-01-26 at 9.34.41 PM.jpeg

Intel_inside
Punch Card
Views: 1,032
Message 3888 of 3,909

@praveenraher wrote:

Except Moto G5s Plus almost every device having Snapdragon 625 chipset supports HIGH Frame Rate of PUBG mobile (in Balanced Graphics) including its closest comptitor Mi A2, Redmi Y2 and many more.

Why motorola you are not fully utilising hardware? As Oreo is a 64 bit OS but you have given forcefully 32 bit Oreo to Moto G users.

While playing games, notifications keeps poping up on screen from Whats App, Telegram etc. Even while Data Saver, Battery Saver and DND are on. 

• what is the use of Data saver mode? while apps in background already are consuming Data.
  • Battery saver mode only reduces animations, no background data restrictions for better battery backup.
  • DND mode is completly useless. Phone keeps viberating from apps notification even in DND modeWhatsApp Image 2019-01-26 at 9.34.41 PM.jpeg

First off, the Mi A2 was released a year later than the G5s+, hence it's unfair to compare the two together. Having a much more powerful processor, the Mi A2 can obviously run PUBG at higher graphic settings.

Secondly, the Snapdragon 625 is outdated. Let's face it. I agree that it was a great all-rounder during it's release, but that was more than 2 years ago. While it is still fast enough for daily tasks and still one of the best when it comes to efficiency, it's no powerhouse. Smooth graphics + Medium frame rate is the best that your phone can do, and it's a hardware limitation. Want to play PUBG with better graphics and frame rate? It's time for you to buy a new phone then.

praveenraher
Vacuum Tubes
Views: 1,003
Message 3889 of 3,909

Ooh! I wrongly entered Mi A2 .
Actually i am comparing it with Mi A1. I am demanding HIGH Frame Rate in Balanced Graphics settings. Not HD,HDR Gaphics. Almost every SD 625 chipset phone support's HIGH Frame Rate in Balanced Graphics except a few like Moto G
Intel_inside
Punch Card
Views: 951
Message 3890 of 3,909

@praveenraher wrote:
Ooh! I wrongly entered Mi A2 .
Actually i am comparing it with Mi A1. I am demanding HIGH Frame Rate in Balanced Graphics settings. Not HD,HDR Gaphics. Almost every SD 625 chipset phone support's HIGH Frame Rate in Balanced Graphics except a few like Moto G

What's the point in having a high frame rate option when your phone can't handle it? 

And I'll say this again. Having 32 bit or 64 bit OS DOES NOT affect gaming performance. 

Top Kudoed Authors