Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sassquatch
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,281
Message 1 of 16

Navigation bar won't hide after 8.1 update

I got the 8.1.0 (August 1 Security) update last night for my G5S+ (was running 7.1.1) and so far everything seems to work except for the on-screen navigation bar. 
Prior to this update, the navigation (bottom of screen - back, home, recent) bar would auto-hide when it wasn't needed. Usually when I'd scroll around inside an app or website, it would raise or lower as I gestured. If it was hidden, a simple flick up from the bottom of the screen would raise it. Or it would be transparant if it wasn't hidden.

After last night's update the nav bar is stuck on the screen all the time. And it is always white; never going transparent or dark. 

This has lost me a lot of screen space and makes using my thumb while holding the device very hard, as I'm having to reach another 1/2 inch up the screen. And it just looks horrible having this white monster lurking at the bottom of my screen. 

I do use the Nova Launcher Prime and I was told the beta version of it had an option to at least make the bar transparent, if not hide it altogether. After updating the launcher & rebooting I do not have that option. (It does have this option for the notification bar, but not the Nav bar) I have also tried using the Stock Moto launcher and the Nav bar still persists. 
I was also told to check Settings > Display > "Hide Nav Bar" but my phone does not have that option in the settings. 
Some people have also posted that there should be a DOT on the far left of the nav bar to adjust it's settings - this is something I have never seen on this device, so I doubt it's something Moto supports.

The one place where the Nav bar DOES auto-hide, is when I'm watching a video using the VLC app. Initially PiP wasn't working for VLC, so I cleared it's cache & data to defaults. Going back in, I reset VLC to dark mode, leaving all other settings at default and now PiP does work & the nav bar auto-hides. 

So now I'm stuck using One Button Nav to get my screen space back, but this option isn't anywhere near as accurate as the on-screen buttons were. I have rebooted the device several times. I have tried clearing the cache for each app that I would like the bar to auto-hide in (and that's a pain in 8.1 vs 7.xx but that's not Moto's fault) but no other apps have hidden it. 

So can anyone here point me in the right direction or show me a setting I've missed? My wife has a Samsung Galaxy Express Prime 2 (J327A) which just got the 8.1 update last week, and her Nav bar auto-hides like normal. So I'm guessing this is an issue with Moto's (almost-stock) skin of Androind...? 
My device is XT1806, purchased directly from Motorola, and I'm using it on AT&T's GoMobile. 

Sassquatch
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,178
Message 2 of 16

Re: Navigation bar won't hide after 8.1 update

Quick update: viewing photos in fullscreen using Google Photos will auto-hide the nav bar.

So we have two apps treating it correctly.

Is anyone else having this issue, or is this the standard for Moto's version of Oreo?
Calvinschmidt
What's DOS?
Views: 7,024
Message 3 of 16

Jep. Same problem and no way to change it.
Momonip
What's DOS?
Views: 6,921
Message 4 of 16

I have the exact same phone and issue! 

It's hideous now, I much preferred the old way of swiping up from the bottom whenever I needed the Nav bar.

If it ain't broke don't fix it! :-(

OlkoZ
What's DOS?
Views: 6,847
Message 5 of 16

This is crazy. I can't normally watch video in full screen in the facebook and similar apps because of this non-hiding nav bar. In other apps it is likewise disturbing. I wish I stayed with android 7.

HelvisZ
Paper Tape
Views: 6,722
Message 6 of 16

Just updated to Oreo and immediately noticed the "ALWAYS ON NAV BAR" and I must say, This is CRAP! Why'd they overlook that detail?! They cheapened my phone and it's bs! I want the feature of a hiding nav bar back!! Anyone know of a fix?

arnb
Punch Card
Views: 6,612
Message 7 of 16

Unfortunately this in not limited to the G5, my X4 Oreo 8.1 is now has this issue. No recent updates applied, started of its own accord.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 6,532
Message 8 of 16

Hi arnb,

Please be advised that Immersive Mode is automatic but it has to be implemented by developers of the apps. The apps have to be designed to auto-hide the on-screen buttons. There is no way for you to manually hide them.

Thanks

Sandip

Moto Support

Sandip

Moto Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Calvinschmidt
What's DOS?
Views: 6,525
Message 9 of 16

Sure... Lenovo can just as easily make a function so we, the consumers and payers for your product, can turn on or off auto hide for the nav bar when in an app. You guys just don't implement this because of money. Great way too keep your customers happy. You can guess what my next smartphone won't be... correct a Lenovo.

p63l
What's DOS?
Views: 5,565
Message 10 of 16

I just switched to the One button navigation (in the Moto app) get rid of the constant nav bar. Will take some getting used to, but it's worth it!

Top Kudoed Authors