Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim_H1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,363
Message 1 of 23

Restarting itself with Google Maps

I have a new G5s+ and every time I use Google maps the phone does a reboot after several minutes of navigating. So far, the phone doesn't do this with any other app. Once it reboots and I go back to Google Maps it navigates fine without any more reboots.

I've uninstalled and re-installed Google Maps and this didn't help.

Anyone have a solution to this problem?

The phone is using Android version 7.1.1 with the June 2017 update. It has 3 ram and 32 rom. The build # is NPS26.116-45

Thanks, JH

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,325
Message 2 of 23

Re: Restarting itself with Google Maps

Hi, Jim_H1.

We are sorry to hear about that, may I know how did you uninstall google maps? Try removing clear cache/data on the same and reboot your device and let us know if this helps?

Meanwhile, please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here

Thanks,

Swaraj

Moto Support

Jim_H1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,228
Message 3 of 23

It has been a while since I posted here.  I am still having the same problem. I have updated my information to include my serial number as you suggested.  I do not know how to clear the cache on the phone and I'm not sure if you're referring to the google maps cache or the phone's cache (if there is such a thing).  Perhaps you can give me a quick how to. 

I am reluctant to let you look into my apps without verifying your affiliation with Lenovo.  I once accidentally let a fake Norton help technician onto my computer and he tried to lock me out of it. 

So, if I can verify your authenticity I'll be glad to give you permission.

JH

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,217
Message 4 of 23

@Jim_H1wrote:

It has been a while since I posted here.  I am still having the same problem. I have updated my information to include my serial number as you suggested.  I do not know how to clear the cache on the phone and I'm not sure if you're referring to the google maps cache or the phone's cache (if there is such a thing).  Perhaps you can give me a quick how to. 

I am reluctant to let you look into my apps without verifying your affiliation with Lenovo.  I once accidentally let a fake Norton help technician onto my computer and he tried to lock me out of it. 

So, if I can verify your authenticity I'll be glad to give you permission.

JH

We are sorry about your ongoing issues, let me try to help you hear. Firstly, please perform clear cache on your google map app. To do so-- Go to settings > apps > google maps > clear data/cache > force stop and reboot your device. Observe for a while, if this did not help then wipe the cache partition on your device here is the link. Let us know how it goes?

Thanks,

-Swaraj

Jim_H1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,160
Message 5 of 23

So, I've cleared the google maps cache and restarted the phone as suggested. It is still crashing when I use Google Maps. It is crashing more often than before and now it is starting to crash when I use "Okay Google" to send an email. I have loaded Maze to see if I have a problem with that.

This is the second Moto G I've had in the past 3 years. The first one was an G4 and this is an G5s+. The G4 began to have the "ghost" screen tap problem and it got so bad I had to get rid of it.  If this G5 starts to give me problems it's the last Moto I will ever buy.  I'll switch back to Samsung or something.

I've updated my profile to include the information asked for.  If you have any ideas please let me know.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,152
Message 6 of 23

@Jim_H1wrote:

So, I've cleared the google maps cache and restarted the phone as suggested. It is still crashing when I use Google Maps. It is crashing more often than before and now it is starting to crash when I use "Okay Google" to send an email. I have loaded Maze to see if I have a problem with that.

This is the second Moto G I've had in the past 3 years. The first one was an G4 and this is an G5s+. The G4 began to have the "ghost" screen tap problem and it got so bad I had to get rid of it.  If this G5 starts to give me problems it's the last Moto I will ever buy.  I'll switch back to Samsung or something.

I've updated my profile to include the information asked for.  If you have any ideas please let me know.

We want to look further into this, kindly send a bug report regarding this. Bug report will collect information about your current device state

Go to Settings ->Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On

Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On

Once the issue is reproduced: Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.

Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.

Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the BugReport on the forums in a reply.

Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the local time when you observed the behavior.

Thanks,

-Swaraj

Jim_H1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,144
Message 7 of 23

@Agent_Swaraj wrote:

@Jim_H1wrote:

We want to look further into this, kindly send a bug report regarding this. Bug report will collect information about your current device state

Go to Settings ->Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On

Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On

Once the issue is reproduced: Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.

Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.

Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the BugReport on the forums in a reply.

Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the local time when you observed the behavior.

Thanks,

-Swaraj

Will do. It may be a few days.

musprod
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,104
Message 8 of 23

I have the same problem that the OP is experiencing.  My G5S Plus crashes after Google maps has been running for a few minutes.  It reboots, and I have to re-enter the  data.

Jim_H1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,097
Message 9 of 23

I've enabled debugging and now I'm waiting for Google Maps to crash again. BTW, I had to look up how to get to the debugging option because one has to first enable the developer mode which is not at all straight forward.

I'll post the debug info once I get it.

Thanks. JH

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,076
Message 10 of 23

@musprod wrote:

I have the same problem that the OP is experiencing.  My G5S Plus crashes after Google maps has been running for a few minutes.  It reboots, and I have to re-enter the  data.

Thank you for reporting, have you tried the basic troubleshooting such as clear data/cache/force stop > uninstall any update > uninstall the app (Google Maps)> reboot your device > reinstall the app and observe? Let us know if that makes any difference?

Thanks,

-Swaraj

Top Kudoed Authors