Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 466
Message 11 of 23

Re: Restarting itself with Google Maps

@Jim_H1 wrote:

I've enabled debugging and now I'm waiting for Google Maps to crash again. BTW, I had to look up how to get to the debugging option because one has to first enable the developer mode which is not at all straight forward.

I'll post the debug info once I get it.

Thanks. JH

Sorry about the hassle, please keep us posted on any further updates for us to further investigate in regards to the same.

Thanks,

-Swaraj

conrad10781
Paper Tape
Views: 388
Message 12 of 23

I've been following this thread for a while because the same was happening to me. As crazy as it may seem, once I enabled developer mode, it took some time for the issue to duplicate, but it finally did yesterday. I generated the report immediately, and had a chance this morning to upload. Please find the Google Drive link below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TaaFM0YBxxYoTMYDuPPNxpyrRJpCIIaf/view?usp=sharing

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 373
Message 13 of 23

@conrad10781 wrote:

I've been following this thread for a while because the same was happening to me. As crazy as it may seem, once I enabled developer mode, it took some time for the issue to duplicate, but it finally did yesterday. I generated the report immediately, and had a chance this morning to upload. Please find the Google Drive link below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TaaFM0YBxxYoTMYDuPPNxpyrRJpCIIaf/view?usp=sharing

Thank you for sharing the Bug report, we would like still confirm if you have performed the above steps such as performing clear cache/data on the Google Map. Try uninstalling the app > reboot > reinstall the app and observe?

Also, do let us know how often do you experience this? Is it just crashing or does it reboots as you launch the app? Finally, please update your profile with the IMEI number of your phone? Is it okay if we look into your apps? This will help us investigate. Make sure that your Motorola Privacy is enabled.

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link.

Regards,

Swaraj

Moto Support

conrad10781
Paper Tape
Views: 369
Message 14 of 23

Yes, I've followed the steps outlined previously which did not make a difference which is why I was following the thread and enabled the developer tools.

In regards to frequency, it's quite a bit. It used to be almost 3 out of 4 times that I used the maps feature, so I basically gave up on using it. Clearing cache/data and uninstalling, in combination with enabling developer mode brought it down to around 2 out of 4 times it seems.

I've added my IMEI number as requested.

Jim_H1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 361
Message 15 of 23

I finally gave up on Moto G. I've had two. The earlier one developed the ghost tap problem after about 6 months, where the screen would act like someone was tapping it. It would randomly open apps by itself. It got so bad that it actually called random people on its own. After searching the internet and trying all of the suggestions online I finally gave up and bought a newer G5s model hoping it would be better. But, again after about 6 months I noticed that Google maps would crash the phone. I switched to Waze and although it didn't crash it kept losing the GPS. I compared it to my wife's Samsung and it did not lose the GPS. I switched back to Google Maps and noticed that it too was losing the GPS constantly, even when other phones had no problem finding it. I tried all of the steps given here except the bug report and nothing worked. 

I finally decided enough was enough and bought a Samsung S9. I've had no problems since.

It's too bad, because I liked the Moto G. It was a bit slow but for the price it was decent. If I hadn't found it so unreliable I would have been happy to keep it. 

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 338
Message 16 of 23

@conrad10781 wrote:

Yes, I've followed the steps outlined previously which did not make a difference which is why I was following the thread and enabled the developer tools.

In regards to frequency, it's quite a bit. It used to be almost 3 out of 4 times that I used the maps feature, so I basically gave up on using it. Clearing cache/data and uninstalling, in combination with enabling developer mode brought it down to around 2 out of 4 times it seems.

I've added my IMEI number as requested.

Hi conrad10781,

Thank you for updating your profile, are you still using Waze app? If yes, can you try to uninstall the same and test with "Google Maps" let us know if you are able to duplicate the same?

Meanwhile, let me report this with our product team for further investigation. Please make sure that the Motorola Privacy is enabled.

Thanks,

Swaraj

Moto Support

conrad10781
Paper Tape
Views: 332
Message 17 of 23

I have not previously used Waze, but will start doing so now. Figured the issue was at the GPS level. Jim_H1 hopped on the thread and mentioned that, it was not not me.
musprod
Fanfold Paper
Views: 322
Message 18 of 23

I also tried using Waze instead Google Maps, and it shut itself down as well.

Moto techs, you have no idea how frustrating it is to hear you repeat the same mantra in this and similar threads.  The **"removed"** phone has a design or manufacturing error.  We can clear caches', reset, etc. forever and not fix the issue.  I and others have provided you with information about our phones for months, and the reponses have remained the same, i.e., try this or try that and let us know or let us access your things.

We are no closer to a solution than months ago other than buying a Samsung.

Don't you mind appearing so foolish?

Edited: due to site rules violation -preferred language-Daisy

musprod
Fanfold Paper
Views: 321
Message 19 of 23

I have to laught as I just saw that my use of a slightly stronger form of the word "darn" was "removed" out.  I guess they have a corcern for visitors to this page.  I wish they had a concern for their customers.

So silly

@musprod wrote:

I also tried using Waze instead Google Maps, and it shut itself down as well.

Moto techs, you have no idea how frustrating it is to hear you repeat the same mantra in this and similar threads.  The "removed" phone has a design or manufacturing error.  We can clear caches', reset, etc. forever and not fix the issue.  I and others have provided you with information about our phones for months, and the reponses have remained the same, i.e., try this or try that and let us know or let us access your things.

We are no closer to a solution than months ago other than buying a Samsung.

Don't you mind appearing so foolish?

Edited: due to site rules violation -preferred language-Daisy

conrad10781
Paper Tape
Views: 297
Message 20 of 23

I can confirm the issue exists with Waze as well. I didn't even have the application installed until yesterday.

I wasn't able to gather a debug report this time, but will the next time.

In the meantime, I can definitely confirm the issue exists on multiple GPS applications, so it's not specific to just Google Maps.

Top Kudoed Authors