Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5S / Moto G5S Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

43 Posts

02-07-2018

Australia

35 Signins

227 Page Views

  • Posts: 43
  • Registered: ‎02-07-2018
  • Location: Australia
  • Views: 227
  • Message 1 of 6

Saving a message or message attachment as a document?

2021-03-03, 0:13 AM

In the context of the corona pandemic, health services have been advising results of virus testing by text message to a nominated phone number.  When the vaccination comes I expect a vaccination certificate to be sent the same way - ie as a message or message attachment to the phone.  And that certificate looks like it will be the entree to entertainment or travel without a whole bunch of restrictions:  present it when asked.  Meaning, get it from storage and display it on the phone screen.

 

So I have been looking for ways to save a message or message attachment as a document for that purpose, without any success.  There is an archive option, but the manual has that as 2 mentions in a subject title without any explanation, and nothing I have found describes what archive does nor where it is archived to, and after plugging the phone into a PC and searching thru the various internal and external folders, there is  nothing that even suggests how this may be done.

 

Questions

1.  what is archive?  Assuming its some sort of long term store, where is it?  can anything in it be retrieved and saved?

2.  How do I do this - save a message or message attachment as a document; so I can pull it up out of the file manager/documents folder as needed??

 

Phone details;

device/model:   motog5s, XT1797

OS Android 8.1.0, last updated/patched on 1 August 2019.

Reply
Options

4921 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3280 Signins

74286 Page Views

  • Posts: 4921
  • Registered: ‎02-11-2016
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 74286
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:Saving a message or message attachment as a document?

2021-03-03, 14:57 PM

@ Davidk13 wrote:

In the context of the corona pandemic, health services have been advising results of virus testing by text message to a nominated phone number.  When the vaccination comes I expect a vaccination certificate to be sent the same way - ie as a message or message attachment to the phone.  And that certificate looks like it will be the entree to entertainment or travel without a whole bunch of restrictions:  present it when asked.  Meaning, get it from storage and display it on the phone screen.

 

So I have been looking for ways to save a message or message attachment as a document for that purpose, without any success.  There is an archive option, but the manual has that as 2 mentions in a subject title without any explanation, and nothing I have found describes what archive does nor where it is archived to, and after plugging the phone into a PC and searching thru the various internal and external folders, there is  nothing that even suggests how this may be done.

 

Questions

1.  what is archive?  Assuming its some sort of long term store, where is it?  can anything in it be retrieved and saved?

2.  How do I do this - save a message or message attachment as a document; so I can pull it up out of the file manager/documents folder as needed??

 

Phone details;

device/model:   motog5s, XT1797

OS Android 8.1.0, last updated/patched on 1 August 2019.

 

 

Hello, I'll do my best to help however I can. I'm not aware of hour they are sending the file and in what format. So, I'm going to give some general feedback.

 

  • Archiving from the messaging app. You are correct it's essentially going into storage. However, they aren't accessible by any other app or file manager on the phone or PC. They are only accessible from within the messaging app itself. This will not work for your use case.
  • For saving a message. If you want it to be accessible from other apps or via your pc.
    • If the message is sent as text only, you can take a screenshot. Press and hold the power button + volume down at the same time to take a screenshot. This will create a picture that you can pull up in the Google Photos app. You can save it on your computer as well. You could also email it to yourself if you would like. 
    • If the message is sent via MMS (picture message). Long press on the thumbnail in your photos > Tap on the menu button (3 dots on the top right) > Choose to save the file. This will save the file to your phone so it can be accessed via 3rd party apps or for you to save to your pc, email yourself as an attachment. It's up to you.

Let me know if that helps. Also, feel free to reach out if you have any questions about accessing the screenshots or saved MMS messages.

 

-Tom



Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Reply
Options

43 Posts

02-07-2018

Australia

35 Signins

227 Page Views

  • Posts: 43
  • Registered: ‎02-07-2018
  • Location: Australia
  • Views: 227
  • Message 3 of 6

Re:Saving a message or message attachment as a document?

2021-03-03, 22:24 PM

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the response.

In extremis, the archive option seems the one to use - if the certificate details are just a text message, like the corona test result I got.  The archived items do have do seem to be accessible, but there's no imaging item (MMS) in there.

I guess that the real answer is that messaging isn't designed to be used the way the health people are actually doing it.  I was going to add 'with this version of Android' but I get app updates all the time, including a messaging update dated 1 march 2021, so the version of Android really doesn't apply.

Work arounds like a screen shot are not something I have had a lot of success with - in fact, mostly failures.  And unfortunately I don't have a picture MMS to play with on the phone at the moment.

But assuming the vacc certificate comes as an attachment to a text - does that make it an MMS (I'm presuming that there are not likely to be any images in that, just documentary text of some form)??

David

Reply
Options

4921 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3280 Signins

74286 Page Views

  • Posts: 4921
  • Registered: ‎02-11-2016
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 74286
  • Message 4 of 6

Re:Saving a message or message attachment as a document?

2021-03-04, 15:06 PM

@ Davidk13 wrote:

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the response.

In extremis, the archive option seems the one to use - if the certificate details are just a text message, like the corona test result I got.  The archived items do have do seem to be accessible, but there' no imaging item (MMS) in there.

I guess that the real answer is that messaging isn' designed to be used the way the health people are actually doing it.  I was going to add ' this version of Android' but I get app updates all the time, including a messaging update dated 1 march 2021, so the version of Android really doesn' apply.

Work arounds like a screen shot are not something I have had a lot of success with - in fact, mostly failures.  And unfortunately I don' have a picture MMS to play with on the phone at the moment.

But assuming the vacc certificate comes as an attachment to a text - does that make it an MMS (I' presuming that there are not likely to be any images in that, just documentary text of some form)??

David

 

Hi David. I'll be completely honest here, I'm working off very limited information and making some generalizations as I don't know in what format the certificate will be sent to you. Our best bet is to wait until you get the certificate. If the steps I provided earlier don't work, then reach out again to us and we will see what we can do to help. This way you will have more information on the format of the attachment. Does that work for you? 

 

-Tom



Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Reply
Options

43 Posts

02-07-2018

Australia

35 Signins

227 Page Views

  • Posts: 43
  • Registered: ‎02-07-2018
  • Location: Australia
  • Views: 227
  • Message 5 of 6

Re:Saving a message or message attachment as a document?

2021-03-04, 23:01 PM

Hi Tom,

yes, that works for me.

It should have been only about a 4-6 weeks before this happened to me personally, but as of this morning the Italian govt had diverted a shipment of 400,000 vaccines contracted to Australia to their own usage:  something the EU bureaucracy seems to be good at is tortoise action and then intervention to suit themselves over those that are faster at it, and **bleep** the reputational damage.  Nearly happened for pfizer vaccine going to the UK last month, and similarly to a batch due to come here from Belgium.  This time it's happened and I have no idea when the result of needle in my arm  will be now.

I'll be back when I know more.

David

Reply
Options

4921 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3280 Signins

74286 Page Views

  • Posts: 4921
  • Registered: ‎02-11-2016
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 74286
  • Message 6 of 6

Re:Saving a message or message attachment as a document?

2021-03-05, 15:06 PM

@ Davidk13 wrote:

Hi Tom,

yes, that works for me.

It should have been only about a 4-6 weeks before this happened to me personally, but as of this morning the Italian govt had diverted a shipment of 400,000 vaccines contracted to Australia to their own usage:  something the EU bureaucracy seems to be good at is tortoise action and then intervention to suit themselves over those that are faster at it, and **bleep** the reputational damage.  Nearly happened for pfizer vaccine going to the UK last month, and similarly to a batch due to come here from Belgium.  This time it' happened and I have no idea when the result of needle in my arm  will be now.

I' be back when I know more.

David

 

Sounds good, We'll be here for you if/when you need help again.

 

-Tom



Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Reply
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms