Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 825
Message 61 of 91

Re: Very fast battery draining in Moto G5s Plus after upgrading to Oreo

Currently experiencing a battery drain of around 1% every few minutes whilst doing little more than messenging on WhatsApp. To make matters worse I can see little improvement in Oreo Vs Nougat. This is the 3rd  Moto G device I've owned and it may well be the last - we are constuners not Lenovo's unpaid testers.

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 824
Message 62 of 91

P.s. battery saver mode seems to have little or no impact on battery drain?!

_HJB_
Paper Tape
Views: 816
Message 63 of 91

Greetings from Brazil.

Motorola is having quality issues and probably I will have to buy another brand.

My former smartphone was a Moto G4 Play with a GPS that never worked well, and if I made any audio recording while plugged in (wall charger or battery pack), the recording resulted inaudible because it would record eletronic noise.

I purchased my Moto G5S in Feb/2018 and it always turned hot (not lightly warm but hot) when I used GPS + 4G. One day it went so hot it started to act weird, Google Maps would not work. I hat to turn it off and wait until it cooled down.

I always thoght it was a "feature" of this particular model and just accepted it. I consider myself a very light user: most of time it is in my office using wifi, bluetooth off, very few phone calls. With greenify app, I usually would get 20+ hours of battery life, except when using VLC to watch movies via wifi (files are in my desktop PC)

Recently i received the Oreo upgrade - supposedly it should get better battery life as it is stated in the Release Notes from Motorola. In the last 3 weeks, battery life dropped significantly: with the same usage pattern I was getting 10 hours of battery.

Then yesterday after mere 8 months using it the screen started to pop out of its frame noticeably. Lef side vertical was way off, could see the glue underneath. Right side starting to get out of frame. Top and bottom seemed normal.

Only after talking to the service representative I realised that the heating I was experiencing is not normal. Also he suggested that my battery is probably bulging.

I left the phone for service under warranty and in the next 48 hours will have more news.

I am a fan of Motorola but it seems Motorola does not want to keep me happy anymore.

Sandeep478
What's DOS?
Views: 805
Message 64 of 91

After Oreo update issues of slow charging arised but one more most irritating issue arised which is while talking on a call its speaker gets ON automatically and then we need to press speaker icon for 2 times then it gets off. It's the most irritating issue which arises in moto g5s plus after the Oreo updation. Please atleast solve this automatically speaker turning ON issue soon. 

Ashwin_Bhargava
What's DOS?
Views: 798
Message 65 of 91

In nougat battery was staying for a day but in oreo its not staying for even 2 hours also there are other issues too, as PIP doesn't works every time and many more. I believe Moto will patch them all in next update. And it will be soon i guess..

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 789
Message 66 of 91

Lost 2% within minutes of being taken off charge and showing 2 hours left on battery?! See attached screenshot

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 750
Message 67 of 91

Update: after disabling data saver in Chrome, battery life seems to have stabilised. Charging on USB still seems slow, barely a trickle but at least I'm no longer losing perveper every few minutes

Arbazkhan
What's DOS?
Views: 583
Message 68 of 91

Not at all helpful if it takes time to adjust then why fast charging is not working,
This needs to be fixed ASAP because can't carry power bank every where I go ,
And this will be my last Moto phone
uskhanna
Fanfold Paper
Views: 521
Message 69 of 91

It is getting worse day after day. I need to charge the phone atleast 3 times a day which hardle last for 3 to 4 hours after full charge. Are you going to provide support or give us some information atleast. It's the way moto provide support to ther users.

_HJB_
Paper Tape
Views: 509
Message 70 of 91

Update: after sending to the service center, it confirmed the battery was bulged and it was replaced under warranty.

Therefore my problems were caused most likely by a faulty battery. I cannot affirm Oreo had a role in this problem...

I am relieved the battery did not explode or caught fire.

I'm still worried about quality control in Motorola phones.

Oreo is runnig very well now that I am using a minimal set of apps since the reset. I stopped using Greenify. As my usage is very light (most of the time on wifi, no bluetooth, no videos, very few phone calls), it is giving me 20 to 30 hours of battery after a full recharge.

It still gets warm when using GPS and 4G but only lightly warm and never as hot as it was with the faulty battery.

My recomendation to those experiencing weird battery behavior is to perform a factory reset - but take into account you'll spend a lot of time reconfiguring several of your apps (logins, default folders to save data, general settings, etc.).

Before the reset make sure your google data is being saved in the cloud, force a manual backup of Whatsapp, use an SMS and phone calls log backup app, make a manual backup of Microsoft Launcher settings and any other specific app you have.

And cross your fingers that after all this work your battery will give you a long time between charges.

Top Kudoed Authors