Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5S / Moto G5S Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

62 Posts

02-07-2018

Australia

50 Signins

302 Page Views

• Views: 302
  • Message 1 of 7

making a call makes phone un-controllable: an update caused this? How to fix it?

2021-08-05, 6:48 AM

The phone is a g5s - model XT1797, running Android 8.1.0.

Ordinarily, when making a call using the call panel, or the contact list pressing the call symbol gets a visible page with calling data on the screen.  And when over, there's a hang-up icon to terminate the call.

Today - several days since I last made a call so I cannot specific exactly what day this happened, but I generally do about 2-5 updates a day, and as of now there are no updates outstanding for the device - when making a call using the the call panel or from the contact list, pressing the phone call symbol

- immediately blanks the screen - no calling or control information seen.

- audio is heard and when the call answers, call can proceed.

- to get control of the phone back, the called party has to hang up:  about 2 sec later there is screen info again.

- if the call does not answer, there is no way to hangup - nothing seen.  pressing the on/off  button has no effect.  At this point, the phone is out of control, state unknown.

- on an older key-contact phone, this screwed up state could be remedied by simply removing the battery, wait, replace and re-start phone.  This isn't possible with these moto phones - battery is inaccessible to a user.

The system display settings are what they should be, so this behaviour has to be by means of a program.

Eventually - no idea how - I managed to get the phone usable again - possibly by the called party either hanging up or timing out??? - but this happened repeatedly on calls to various contacts.

What update could have caused this behaviour??

Is there a way to reverse it and return to the state where a user can see the controls for use?

In this hung situation is there a way to force the phone to re-start??

Options

2768 Posts

11-24-2020

India

255 Signins

28035 Page Views

• Views: 28035
  • Message 2 of 7

Re:making a call makes phone un-controllable: an update caused this? How to fix it?

2021-08-05, 10:28 AM

Hi Davidk13

Thanks for writing to us. Sorry to hear you're having issues with your phone. Firstly, I can’t confirm what is the root cause of the issue or which update causing this. However, I will do my best to help you with this. Has it started after installing the application updates? 

I would suggest you try doing a hardware test on the phone's proximity sensor by going to Moto Help/Device Help > Device Diagnosis/Fix> Hardware Test > Proximity Sensor. If it is working here please restart the phone and check. 

Let me know if you still face the same problem after performing the above instructions. 

Thanks

Sunitha 

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

62 Posts

02-07-2018

Australia

50 Signins

302 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

Re:making a call makes phone un-controllable: an update caused this? How to fix it?

2021-08-05, 11:53 AM

Hi Sunitha,

The last time I made a call was about 10 days ago, on 24 July, and the phone worked normally then.  When I make calls, the phone screen is in front of me;  I don't lift the phone to my ear until I see/know the call is occurring, and if the screen is in front of me during a call, on the call screen there is a hang-up icon.  That wasn't the case today, when I was trying to use the phone to report an internet+landline phone outage;  with the mobile malfunctioning - I had no comms at all.

I usually update the apps during an early morning walk, about 2-5 per day: what ever updates are available, 4 days a week in eastern Australia - I assume because the people who update the play store don't work US weekends.

Hardware is usually very reliable these days, and whilst the phone is in a pocket or a purse while in use, it hasn't been dropped or otherwise had any sort of shock. So, yes, I believe an update caused this. Something happened between 24 july and today, 4 aug.   It's late, and I'll try what you suggest in the morning.

But  . . what is a proximity sensor????

Options

62 Posts

02-07-2018

Australia

50 Signins

302 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2021-08-05, 23:16 PM

Sunitha,

I did the test. Finding it in the apps list was interesting - not under moto, but under Device help . . anyway, the sensor test says "does the screen change after passing a hand over the top of the phone".  No, it doesn't - not even when the hand is in contact with the top of the phone.  Test says there may be a problem.

I also tested the g5s with an incoming call: phone on table in front of me and I used the house landline phone to call it.  The g5s phone displayed the notice of the call, and played the ring tone, but as soon as I touched the answer button, the screen blanked. I hung up the calling phone, and about a second later I got the phone screen back after pressing the power button.  Which is the same result I got when calling out to a personal phone that answered and hung up after conversation.  Calling a number which has a phone menu puts the g5s into un-controlled territory;  the number pad isn't visible to select any menu option, the hang up icon isn't visible to close the call, and the called party may take some time to hang up on what may think is a prank call - limbo just doesn't describe it adequately.  And I found this situation out when trying to call my ISP about an internet outage - that also took out the landline phone.  No mobile, no PC, no fixed phone: not good;  anyone with a medical condition would be very worried.

With a bit of thought, the proximity sensor seems to be a way of saving battery by blanking the screen when close to the head.  But if that's the case, when it fails saving some battery energy does not compensate for making the phone essentially useless in its primary function, whatever else it does.

If the proximity sensor has frozen up (always on when sensed), is it fixable, and if so, how and by who?

Alternatively, is it possible to permanently disable the proximity sensor?  A bit of battery usage is probably a better call than the cost of a maintenance visit or a new phone.

Options

2768 Posts

11-24-2020

India

255 Signins

28035 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2021-08-06, 6:56 AM

Hi Davidk13

Thank you for testing the sensor in the device help application. I would like to inform you that the Proximity sensor should turn the screen off while on a call. This should help avoid accidental touches and potential hang-ups and also, yes, when you move the phone away while on the call screen should get activated. 

Since the proximity sensor not working in the device help application, this might be causing the issue. Also, we do not have any option to disable the sensor.

I would suggest you try removing the cases or screen protectors from the phone if you have inserted them. Let me know what you will find out. 

Thanks

Sunitha

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

62 Posts

02-07-2018

Australia

50 Signins

302 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2021-08-06, 7:16 AM

Hi Sunitha,

I took the phone to the nearest motorola repair shop, and the tech knew what the problem was; the battery had expanded slightly - no longer flat, viewed form the side the screen has a slight but noticeable bow in it at the centre.  He pressed on the part of the screen where the sensor was, and the phone call operation returned to normal temporarily.  Battery replacement underway.

This is apparently a fairly common occurrence on all brands of phone.

Options

2768 Posts

11-24-2020

India

255 Signins

28035 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2021-08-06, 10:16 AM

Hi Davidk13

Thank you for keeping me updated. It looks like the issue is due to a bulged battery. Please coordinate with the repair shop and get the device fixed. Please let me know if you need any assistance. We are here to help! 

Thanks

Sunitha

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms