01-09-2018

US

25 Signins

195 Page Views

• Views: 195
  • Message 1 of 7

privacy questions

2018-01-21, 4:32 AM
I am puzzled by something and wanted to ask - how does the phone know my name? I avoided typing in anything into this phone, I have only 4 contact numbers on it and I never set any account with it - BUT the icon that shows on top - the blue round thing with the human inside says my name when pushed. I am unsure why? How does it know? How to change that? = How to rename the USER? Then my next logical question is how to make sure this phone blocks all communication uploading my pictures and contacts to Google cloud? I mean - what is the best way to get rid of that google spy software I have by default? Thanks
Options

443 Posts

12-19-2017

US

615 Signins

5650 Page Views

• Views: 5650
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: privacy questions

2018-01-21, 15:04 PM

wrote:
I am puzzled by something and wanted to ask - how does the phone know my name? I avoided typing in anything into this phone, I have only 4 contact numbers on it and I never set any account with it - BUT the icon that shows on top - the blue round thing with the human inside says my name when pushed. I am unsure why? How does it know? How to change that? = How to rename the USER? Then my next logical question is how to make sure this phone blocks all communication uploading my pictures and contacts to Google cloud? I mean - what is the best way to get rid of that google spy software I have by default? Thanks

It probably got it from your voicemail. Your phone has to know your phone number in order to work, and when your service provider setup your account/voicemail, they have to add your real name to the account.  On my phone when I tap that icon, it shows my full first name.  Google only knows about my abbreviated first name, but my service provider knows about my full first name.  

If you have not setup a Google account on your phone, then the phone has no way to access the Google cloud.

Options

25 Posts

01-09-2018

US

25 Signins

195 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2018-01-21, 17:51 PM
thank you very much for your answer. this makes sense. absolutely. I don't want to set a google account. They steal all contacts. My wife had one and never agreed to any uploads - yet - they took everything out of the phone without permission. We found out - when she set up her next phone. She logged in from google account and all information was transferred into the new blank phone. It was a shock to us. If they steal contacts - what stops them from stealing photos and other stuff like GPS data and things we even don't know about. I figured we should never type in any google id at all. This creates a problem, because we can't use google store. On the other hand though it may be worth the trouble to just live with the apps we got on the phone already.
Options

443 Posts

12-19-2017

US

615 Signins

5650 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2018-01-22, 0:31 AM

I realize that you have a trust issue with Google, but you can setup a Google account and just turn off all synchronization.  This would allow you to use the Google Play Store, while still not sharing your data with Google.  Now, I realize you may not trust that (even if no data is sync'ed), but that is the way it works (allegedly -- haha).  

Options

25 Posts

01-09-2018

US

25 Signins

195 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2018-01-22, 2:48 AM
is there a step by step instruction how to delete an account once it was set? Where do I look for that setting for synchronization? how can I be sure they won't turn this on remotely?
Options

443 Posts

12-19-2017

US

615 Signins

5650 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2018-01-22, 4:05 AM

wrote:
is there a step by step instruction how to delete an account once it was set? Where do I look for that setting for synchronization? how can I be sure they won't turn this on remotely?

To change the sync settings, you would go to SETTINGS, ACCOUNTS, GOOGLE, and then set the toggles for what you want turned off (not syncing).  

I hate to tell you, but the biggest source of getting information from your Android devices in a sneaky way is through whatever virtual keyboard you're running, including the Google Keyboard.  All input from the keyboard has to be at least temporarily "recorded" so that it can be spellchecked, added to your personal dictionary, etc. The only way to truly avoid it is simply to stop using technology.  

Supposedly, the way to delete a Google Account is at the following link, but I've never done it before so I don't know if it truly does delete everything or not:

https://myaccount.google.com/deleteaccount

Options

25 Posts

01-09-2018

US

25 Signins

195 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2018-01-22, 6:27 AM
thank you for all your answers. You make very valid points. I am not very concerned about txt messages really. I am concerned about pictures and contacts.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete