GB

16 Signins

71 Page Views

• Views: 71
  • Message 1 of 11

Battery replaced twice, still draining like crazy

2020-08-11, 21:14 PM

Hi everyone,

I had an issue with my Moto G6 where it was restarting endlessly. I took it to a repair shop where they said the issue was my battery, so they replaced it (with a non-moto battery because I was in Vietnam where they don't sell them) and it solved my restarting issue, but the new battery wasn't very good and I had to carry around my battery pack everywhere. 

I eventually got a different phone and attempted to get my Moto G6 battery replaced once I moved back to the UK.

I got a replacement battery from a dealer in my town and initially it seemed ok, with the battery lasting around 24 hours with average-moderate use. However, just 2 weeks later, I'm seeing scenes like those in the screenshot attached, where I was getting sudden drops from 50+% to 0% and the battery going from 100% to 0% in under 17 hours, where 8 of those hours had been sleeping hours.

Yes, I have tried calibrating the phone multiple times.

Yes, I have made sure to fully close all non-essential apps and to turn off WiFi, location and mobile data when the phone was not in use.

Upon taking it back to the phone shop, they claim that there was no problem with the battery that they put in (claiming it was genuine and brand new) but that there was "an issue with the phone that will do this with every battery".

Could there be any truth to their claims? If so, which part of the phone should I take a look at?

Thank you

Options

2536 Posts

04-04-2018

IN

352 Signins

23825 Page Views

• Views: 23825
  • Message 2 of 11

Re:Battery replaced twice, still draining like crazy

2020-08-12, 10:47 AM

@ Sranhs wrote:

Hi everyone,

I had an issue with my Moto G6 where it was restarting endlessly. I took it to a repair shop where they said the issue was my battery, so they replaced it (with a non-moto battery because I was in Vietnam where they don't sell them) and it solved my restarting issue, but the new battery wasn't very good and I had to carry around my battery pack everywhere. 

I eventually got a different phone and attempted to get my Moto G6 battery replaced once I moved back to the UK.

I got a replacement battery from a dealer in my town and initially it seemed ok, with the battery lasting around 24 hours with average-moderate use. However, just 2 weeks later, I'm seeing scenes like those in the screenshot attached, where I was getting sudden drops from 50+% to 0% and the battery going from 100% to 0% in under 17 hours, where 8 of those hours had been sleeping hours.

Yes, I have tried calibrating the phone multiple times.

Yes, I have made sure to fully close all non-essential apps and to turn off WiFi, location and mobile data when the phone was not in use.

Upon taking it back to the phone shop, they claim that there was no problem with the battery that they put in (claiming it was genuine and brand new) but that there was "an issue with the phone that will do this with every battery".

Could there be any truth to their claims? If so, which part of the phone should I take a look at?

Thank you

Hi,

Sorry to know about your concern with the Battery. I know how important it is to have a working phone. 

I would suggest you check your device in Safe Mode and observe it for some time. Let me know if the issue persists.

Also, please update your profile with the current phone, carrier, and the IMEI number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link - https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Regards,

Suman

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

7 Posts

04-03-2019

GB

16 Signins

71 Page Views

• Message 3 of 11

2020-08-19, 20:23 PM

Test upload of how bad it was

Options

7 Posts

04-03-2019

GB

16 Signins

71 Page Views

• Message 4 of 11

2020-08-19, 20:40 PM

Hi Suman,

Thanks so much for your help. I tried with and without Safe Mode and found that as well as the battery lasting longer with Safe Mode on, the biggest factor was whether I was using the phone (screen) at all. I am uploading some screenshots. In the NOT Safe Mode ones, you can see a very sharp drop from the moment I started using it (I was using Chrome to read the news). 

I have also updated my profile with the IMEI.

I can not find Motorola in my privacy settings, can you provide further information?

Do you know what might be causing the problem?

Options

2536 Posts

04-04-2018

IN

352 Signins

23825 Page Views

• Message 5 of 11

2020-08-21, 6:11 AM

@ Sranhs wrote:

Hi Suman,

Thanks so much for your help. I tried with and without Safe Mode and found that as well as the battery lasting longer with Safe Mode on, the biggest factor was whether I was using the phone (screen) at all. I am uploading some screenshots. In the NOT Safe Mode ones, you can see a very sharp drop from the moment I started using it (I was using Chrome to read the news). 

I have also updated my profile with the IMEI.

I can not find Motorola in my privacy settings, can you provide further information?

Do you know what might be causing the problem?

Thanks for sharing the screenshots, the device IMEI number and I really appreciate the effort. Safe Mode runs the device without third-party apps. So it looks like some third-party apps may have caused this. 

You can check in your Play Store under the recent apps installed and try uninstalling them and see if the issue persists. 

I would suggest you perform Clear Cache in your device on a regular basis-- go to Settings > Apps & notifications > App Info > select the apps > Storage > Clear Cache or you can install a third-party cleaning app.

Also, after using any app, make sure to close it and not running behind. 

I checked your device performance, everything looks fine. I highly recommend charging the device overnight without an interruption. And a restart every once a while.

Please try these steps and let me know how it goes. I will be waiting for the outcome.

Regards,

Suman

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

7 Posts

04-03-2019

GB

16 Signins

71 Page Views

• Message 6 of 11

2020-08-26, 23:56 PM

Hi Suman,

The previous image was misleading - the "safe mode" image showed the battery when the phone was not used at all - the screen wasn't even used to check the time. Here is what happens on safe mode when I use the phone. 

Since this is happening in safe mode, do you have suggestions regarding what the problem might be? 

Thanks for all of your help so far

Options

2536 Posts

04-04-2018

IN

352 Signins

23825 Page Views

• Message 7 of 11

2020-08-27, 11:09 AM

@ Sranhs wrote:

Hi Suman,

The previous image was misleading - the "safe mode" image showed the battery when the phone was not used at all - the screen wasn't even used to check the time. Here is what happens on safe mode when I use the phone. 

Since this is happening in safe mode, do you have suggestions regarding what the problem might be? 

Thanks for all of your help so far

Thanks for sharing the screenshot. I have checked your device performance and I highly recommend you charge your device overnight, let it charge 100% without interruption.

Another thing I noticed is the Active on time screen-- can you reduce it for few seconds and check if you see any difference?

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Suman

Options

7 Posts

04-03-2019

GB

16 Signins

71 Page Views

• Message 8 of 11

2020-08-30, 14:17 PM

Hi Suman, I charged it overnight to 100%. I turned the phone on and it had already dropped to around 80%. I then used it on safe mode for around half an hour and it dropped from 50-something to 0 as seen in the attachment.

Do you think there is a problem with the screen that is causing it to drain so quickly? 

Options

2536 Posts

04-04-2018

IN

352 Signins

23825 Page Views

• Message 9 of 11

2020-09-02, 13:43 PM

@ Sranhs wrote:

Hi Suman, I charged it overnight to 100%. I turned the phone on and it had already dropped to around 80%. I then used it on safe mode for around half an hour and it dropped from 50-something to 0 as seen in the attachment.

Do you think there is a problem with the screen that is causing it to drain so quickly? 

I really appreciate your efforts in fixing this, however, it is most likely the issue is with the Battery. We have tried all the basic troubleshooting steps.

It would be best if you submit your device and let our engineers examine the device/battery. Before that, you can try performing a Factory Data Reset without an automatic restore.

Performing a Reset helps to start the device afresh and that could solve your concern.  Please try this, but if the issue persists, a repair would be the next option.

Regards,

Suman

Options

7 Posts

04-03-2019

GB

16 Signins

71 Page Views

• Message 10 of 11

2020-09-02, 14:22 PM

Thank you so much for your help so far.

I already did a factory reset when I handed it to get the battery replaced. I will try it again.

I agree it will need to go to repairs. Where can I send it if I am based in the UK?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete