Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G6 / Moto G6 Plus / Moto G6 Play
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

03-17-2019

United States of America

11 Signins

77 Page Views

• Views: 77
  • Message 1 of 12

CAN'T ACCESS INTERNAL STORAGE FROM PC

2019-03-17, 18:48 PM

When I connect my G6 to my PC via USB, the computer only recognizes the SD card storage. The PC does not show the internal storage. I have done some research and done the following, all to no avail:

Checked "Transfer Files" on "Use USB to" pull-down menu

Used Developer Options menu to ensure "MTP" was checked for USB connection

Checked "Show hidden files" in file manager

Installed latest drivers for Moto G6 on my PC

Restarted phone and PC several times

Tried several different USB cables, including the one that came with the phone

Tried two different computers, both operating Windows 10

Deleted .nomedia file from phone

It appears that this is a common problem, but none of the solutions I've found have worked.

Options

20 Posts

10-16-2016

United States of America

19 Signins

195 Page Views

• Views: 195
  • Message 2 of 12

Re: CAN'T ACCESS INTERNAL STORAGE FROM PC

2019-04-20, 23:16 PM
No one has answered you yet?? I have the same issue and we need someone from Lenovo or Motorola to answer this now?? If not, I guarantee this will be my last Motorola Phone!!
Moto G6 8.0.0
Options

8 Posts

03-17-2019

United States of America

11 Signins

77 Page Views

• Message 3 of 12

2019-04-22, 13:40 PM

No, yours' is the only response I've received. Apparently they're not interested in fixing the problem.

Options

8 Posts

03-17-2019

United States of America

11 Signins

77 Page Views

• Message 4 of 12

2019-04-29, 17:14 PM

UPDATE

My phone began acting up recently and I determined that the problem was a corrupted SD card. I inserted a new card, and this time programmed it as "Portable Storage" rather than extended internal storage, as I had with the previous card. Now when I connect the phone to a PC it properly shows both the internal and SD card storage.

Options

20 Posts

10-16-2016

United States of America

19 Signins

195 Page Views

• Message 5 of 12

2019-04-29, 17:39 PM
Well to begin with, this site is really hard to navigate, took me 15 minutes to log back in to see if I could help.

I fixed mine Jerry, and I found the info elsewhere. I think it was on Verizon or android forum, but I'll let you know here in a minute.

My issue was a bit different but maybe same "fix". My moto G6's default is to use USB just for battery charge. So I had to change that in order to get my files (Mp3) from my pc to my phone. Plus, my File Explorer in Windows 10 didn't even show my G6 was attached to PC.

So I had to do this: Settings>system>about phone>build number. Tab Build Number I think 7 times to be allowed to view Developer Options.

Go back to System, and down to Developer Options. Turn "on" USB Debugging, and directly underneath, highlite Revoke USB Debugging authorizations. Click Ok.

Go on down to Networking>Select USB Configuration, and change it from "charging" to the 2nd one, Media Transfer Protocol.

I hope this will fix you issue. There is something on the internal storage and SD card as well but I can't find it right now. I will and let you know Jerry, Denise
Moto G6 8.0.0
Options

8 Posts

03-17-2019

United States of America

11 Signins

77 Page Views

• Message 6 of 12

2019-05-03, 15:13 PM

Denise

I had done the debugging thing, but it didn't help. In any event, I'm happy using the SD card as portable storage, which corrected the problem.

Thank you for your input.

Jerry

Options

20 Posts

10-16-2016

United States of America

19 Signins

195 Page Views

• Message 7 of 12

2019-05-03, 16:04 PM

Ok Jerry, sorry I missed that you did the debugging.  Glad you've got it handled though.  So frustrating when things don't work right, lol;) Denise

Moto G6 8.0.0
Options

2 Posts

05-04-2019

United States of America

4 Signins

47 Page Views

• Views: 47
  • Message 8 of 12

2019-05-04, 11:25 AM

Same happened to me when I had SD formatted to be treated as internal storage, meaning that it would not work in another device if removed.  Later, I reset my phone and formatted it as external, and I could then see both drives on my PC.  

Remember that re-formatting will erase the contents of the drive.

Options

20 Posts

10-16-2016

United States of America

19 Signins

195 Page Views

• Message 9 of 12

2019-05-04, 14:04 PM

Wow, this is interesting, I recently reset my Moto G6. I don't remember seeing that option, but no surprise, I don't remember like I used to;)

So you can see them both in your PC Files when you hook it up to USB? And that's without having to change that option in your phone settings/developer section myfirst??

Moto G6 8.0.0
Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 10 of 12

2019-05-04, 17:44 PM

Let's clarify a couple of things...

Although this is certainly an official Moto website, it is not an "official" Moto tech support site.  It is built as a forum where users can help other users, peer-to-peer. 

In fact, the question about keeping an SD card independent of the phone's internal storage or "adopting" it to create one larger storage space has been answered for just about every phone that upgraded to that version.  I personally don't think Google thought it through carefully enough before launching it, but that's just my personal opinion.  It's a feature of the operating system.

@Denise52, everyone's phone defaults to USB charging.  That's a security featurebuilt-in to the operating system.  For example, let's say you work at a desk for business.  Someone calls you away from your desk right after you plug in the phone and can change the settings to MTP or PTP, exposing your data which is now at risk.  This feature eliminated that possibility by forcing the user to enter credentials/change settings to reveal files.  And again, this information appears in just about every phone community that upgraded to this level of the operating system.  

Wondering if anyone called/chatted Moto Support?  Help is also available on Facebook, Twitter...

And just one more thing:  @DEnise52, you ended up using the site exactly as intended: you helped another user.  Thank you!  You're awesome!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)