Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G6 / Moto G6 Plus / Moto G6 Play
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

08-06-2019

United States of America

17 Signins

128 Page Views

• Views: 128
  • Message 11 of 19

Re: Help please - Moto G6 shuts down randomly

2019-08-10, 0:04 AM

wrote:

Hi WillS1,

Thank you for reverting, this is odd. Let us try installing Files Go app > Clean the Cache/Data on file > force reboot and observe. Could you also confirm if you have tried performing Factory Data Reset without restoring any apps to see if that makes any difference?

Let us know how it goes?

Regards,
Swaraj

Motorola Support

I spent over an hour on the phone with Verizon's elevated tech support today.  I explained what was happening again and did some additional troubleshooting.  I also pointed the tech to the numerous internet posts about this phone, the post-Pie experience and the problems many users have been having.

Interesting tidbit: in the System Update section, it shows that the update to Pie failed.  However, the current operating system shows Android 9 with the same version as the one showing as failed.  See the attached screenshot.  

The Verizon tech said he has seen this conflicting system notice on other phones that have been having similar problems. 

So, the likely culprit for the post-Pie problems, at least for mine, is an improperly installed update causing a system glitch. And, importantly, I saw this same conflicting notice on the prior two G6s - so all three had the same issue.  I had updated only the first phone myself; the other two had Pie installed by Verizon, so it's not likely user error involved. Bottom line: It seems the Pie update may not be installing correctly on the G6 in many instances. 

And here is the final solution: As I still have 10 days left under the original warranty, and since I've now had three problematic G6s in a row, Verizon is giving me a credit and letting me switch to a different non-Moto phone.  Sorry to say it's bye-bye Moto.  

Options

232 Posts

03-28-2019

United States of America

344 Signins

5423 Page Views

• Views: 5423
  • Message 12 of 19

2019-08-10, 1:49 AM
Wow! Thanks for sharing!

~us retail g6~no lifeguard on duty
Options

8 Posts

08-06-2019

United States of America

17 Signins

128 Page Views

• Views: 128
  • Message 13 of 19

2019-08-10, 16:45 PM

wrote:
Wow! Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome. I posted the screen shot in the hope that it might help Motorola figure this out.  It's unfortunate there's no apparent "real" solution, but if others have a similar system notification then perhaps this may provide a clue as to what's happening. 

And I know Motorola can make (or has made) high quality gear - my dad has a first-gen Moto X that he still uses! The G6 was just fine for me until the Pie update messed things up. But my new Pixel 3a arrived today - that's what I swapped for (with an upgrade fee, of course) - so I'm out of the Moto camp for now.   

Options

10 Posts

02-06-2019

Netherlands

20 Signins

112 Page Views

• Views: 112
  • Message 14 of 19

Re: moto g6 shuts down after pie update

2019-10-27, 19:59 PM

Same here. Phone shuts down after disconnecting it from the charger. Needs 10 sec long press on power button to get it on again. Since many people start to report this now, a warranty replacement likely not solve the problem.

@Lenovo: is a software fix planned???

Options

2999 Posts

04-04-2018

India

404 Signins

27725 Page Views

• Views: 27725
  • Message 15 of 19

2019-10-30, 9:54 AM

wrote:

Same here. Phone shuts down after disconnecting it from the charger. Needs 10 sec long press on power button to get it on again. Since many people start to report this now, a warranty replacement likely not solve the problem.

@Lenovo: is a software fix planned???

Hi p88l,

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps? If not, can you check your device in Safe Mode? Check both while charging and without charging. Let me know if the phone shuts down.

Regards,

Suman

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

2 Posts

12-01-2019

United States of America

2 Signins

107 Page Views

• Views: 107
  • Message 16 of 19

2019-12-01, 22:28 PM

I had the same issue the other day. I have been having apparent-power-off issues an average of at least once a day but the other day this exact thing happened to me while talking to my husband. I had to turn off the phone after he hanged up in order to get the phone back to regular mode where it could be used for something ...

Options

10 Posts

02-06-2019

Netherlands

20 Signins

112 Page Views

• Views: 112
  • Message 17 of 19

2019-12-01, 23:01 PM

I didn't try the steps yet, the issue still occurs and others are reporting it as well, so it seems a more general problem.

Options

2999 Posts

04-04-2018

India

404 Signins

27725 Page Views

• Views: 27725
  • Message 18 of 19

2019-12-02, 5:55 AM

wrote:

I didn't try the steps yet, the issue still occurs and others are reporting it as well, so it seems a more general problem.

Hi p88l,

Kindly check your device in Safe Mode and observe for some time. See if it's the same. Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Suman

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

2019-12-27, 14:49 PM

I had the same problem after the Pie OS update last summer.  Tried MANY approaches to solving the "random" turn-off issue.  Took quite a while to figure out that I had to do the special start (very long start button press) in order to get the phone to start up again.

Anyway, a couple of months ago I noticed that the G6 had turned off three nights in a row while on a non-Motorola wall wart charger (not the Turbo charger) in the living room.  My Turbo charger stays in the den.  Realized then that I often had a G6 shutdown while in my shop (also a cheaper charger).  Ordered two more Motorola Turbo chargers and stopped using the light duty chargers. 

It's now been 51 days since the last "surprise" shutdown for my G6.  Have never had an issue with the chargers in our vehicles so suspect that the problem is perhaps caused by poor voltage regulation rather than the lower amperage charging rate.  The 12V available in vehicles is from the vehicles' battery and should be very well regulated.  Interesting that my wife has an identical G6 and has only had one shutdown since the Pie update, but she has almost always uses either her Turbo charger or (since she's going somewhere about all of the time!), the vehicle chargers.

Your mileage may vary, but since I'd spent a lot of time on this forum looking for a solution, thought I'd share what has worked for me for the last two months.

..............Jim

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms