Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G6 / Moto G6 Plus / Moto G6 Play
All Forum Topics
Options

43 Posts

07-06-2019

United States of America

71 Signins

372 Page Views

• Views: 372
  • Message 191 of 200

Re: Moto G6 play slow charging

2019-07-07, 14:42 PM

I saw it on the motorola support website

https://support.motorola.com/in/en/products/cell-phones/moto-g-family/moto-g6-play/documents/MS136838

I am guessing that was just a general statement not specifically to G6 I was just wondering if that is even a posiblity

Obviously I can't do the first choice because it's not going to charge to 100% and not even sure what is different between calibration and just normal charging It seems to be the same thing

The second choice refers to removable battery which I don't have so I would have to take the phone apart to do that and I am not quite ready to do that but willing to do it if that would fix it

Options

43 Posts

07-06-2019

United States of America

71 Signins

372 Page Views

• Message 192 of 200

2019-07-07, 23:39 PM

I think I found a way to fix the battery problem or at least I am making some progress

I found this video on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXZw5PoQqY8

It's not for the G6  but I followed the same steps and it actually started to charge

After I got to about 15% charge I rebooted normally and kept it on the charger and I got up to 43% in about 6 hrs

and it's seems to be holding and it no longer starts by itself it just keeps charging

When I was in that mode in the video it was showing that it was charging and when I unplug the cable it stopped charging so the charger and cable ar ok and the battery seems to be ok as well

The only thing is that when I am on the battery app setting it's saying that it's not charging even though it is so I am not sure how to get the phone to recognize that it is charging It's probably confused being so low for so long it does not know the status of the battery charge

I will charge it up to 100% and start using it normally and maybe it will start reporting the status

Options

5996 Posts

12-04-2017

India

1170 Signins

77328 Page Views

• Views: 77328
  • Message 193 of 200

2019-07-12, 12:11 PM

Hi.

As suggested, you can do a Battery Calibration on your device, to do so please hold the power button until device reboots. Upon reboot plug into the charger. Allow the phone to charge to 100% and leave on the charger for at least an additional hour. Repete the process twice a week.

Observe and let us know how it goes?

Regards,

Swaraj

Motorola Support

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
Options

43 Posts

07-06-2019

United States of America

71 Signins

372 Page Views

• Message 194 of 200

2019-07-12, 20:08 PM

I am trying to do that but I can't seem to get to 100%

Normally charging as sugested is not working because it's not showing as charging

The only way I can get it to charge is by using the method shown in the video I believe that is the bootloader page it's the first one that shows up after pressing power and down volume

It says toward the bottom in green text Battery OK (charging) when it's plugged in and charging and just Battery ok when it's unplugged or stopped charging

It also says Transfer mode USB connected when I have the charger plugged in and Connect USB data cable when it's unplugged

So I got it charged up overnight a few days ago but it only got to 70% and got out of bootloader mode and powered off and it was still on the charger but of course it's not charging in that mode

So I started using it by leaving the wifi on and doing the system updates a couple of times and loading some apps and I got it down to 29% after a few days but I was not using it all the time

After that I tried to charge it up again but it stopped probably at the same point 70% I saw 68% but probably stopped at 70% and started discharging since it's not charging if it's not in the bootloader mode

Now I am trying to force it to go higher by unpluging the cable and plugigng it in to charge again but it takes less and less time to stop charging but I managed to force it up to 77% by doing that

Not sure if I discharge it and charge it again if it's going to go up to 77% now or still stop at 70%

I am guessing the phone is confused now so it does not know when it is fully charged

I was wondering how does the phone know when it is fully charged ? Is there some sensor that tells the phone the percentage charge ?

It looks like I may have to take it apart to disconnect the battery and plug it back in and perhaps that will fix the calibration but at least it useable in this condition I just have to go into bootloader to charge it

I have another question

Does the charger icon supposed to go on and off every 5-15 seconds when the power is off and the charger is plugged in ?

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Views: 132780
  • Message 195 of 200

2019-07-12, 20:15 PM

No the icon is not supposed to go on and off. It sounds like your phone has a fault that requires service. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

43 Posts

07-06-2019

United States of America

71 Signins

372 Page Views

• Message 196 of 200

2019-07-12, 22:51 PM

Thanks for the confirmation

I did not think it's supposed to do that either

Any guess as to what may be causing it ?

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Views: 132780
  • Message 197 of 200

2019-07-13, 12:34 PM

wrote:

Thanks for the confirmation

I did not think it's supposed to do that either

Any guess as to what may be causing it ?

I am restating the obvious, so no offense:

No easy way to say with a used phone - but assuming no damage the only 2 components it could be are motherboard or battery. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

43 Posts

07-06-2019

United States of America

71 Signins

372 Page Views

• Message 198 of 200

2019-07-13, 15:38 PM

Thanks

That's pretty much what I suspected

I ordered a fast charger just to see if it makes any difference It also comes with a new cable

The one I have seems to be a little dingy inside when looking at it with a loupe

After watching a video I found out that the cable can be plugged into the phone both ways I thought it was only supposed to go in one way since it felt a little harder going in one way compard to the other way

So I plugged it in the hard way and I found it getting disconected as I moved the cable up and down so it's not quite a solid connection that way 

Another questionable item is the charging port on the phone It looks somewhat dirty inside with just a couple of pins that are shiny The other ones are either not used or are very dirty although it's hard to see inside the port

So I will try to replace the port if I can otherwise I will replace the motherboard

So I will ty the charger first than get a new battery and if that doesn't work than either a charging port or a motherboard

Options

43 Posts

07-06-2019

United States of America

71 Signins

372 Page Views

• Message 199 of 200

2019-07-19, 23:11 PM

Well the new charger and cable did not help

I got the new battery but first I disconnected the old one and reconected it after waiting a few minutes but that made no difference

Next I tried the new battery but that also did not show as charging so I guess most likely it's the motherboard

Right now I am charging the new battery which started at 15% I am usung the fastboot methode since that's the only thing that works I just want to see if it stops at around 70% or is it going to charge fully

Options

43 Posts

07-06-2019

United States of America

71 Signins

372 Page Views

• Message 200 of 200

2019-08-09, 22:37 PM

I just wanted to follow up with my charging problem

So I got another used phone the same exact model that was working but with a cracked screen so I can replace the logic board so before doing anything I tried all the chargers and cables and they all worked with this second phone so there are no charging issues as far as that is concerned

I also tried in fastboot mode and apparently not charging past 70% in fastboot mode is normal for this phone so I should not expect to charge any more with the first phone if that is as far as it will go

So than I swapped the logic board and ofcourse that worked because that's pretty much replacing the entire phone

So today I was able to replace the charging port on the phone that was not charging and while I noticed that there was a broken/missing pin on the charge port later on after looking at the pinout I found out that it was just a ground pin on the one end but since there is another ground I figured it probably wont make any difference

So after I pluged in the charger it's still not charging

So I am guessing it must be some other kind of defect on the board but without a schematic and some knowledge on how is this supposed to work that's as far as I can go with it

I will keep it around for spare parts and for trying out different apps

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms