Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G6 / Moto G6 Plus / Moto G6 Play
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

07-03-2018

United States of America

1 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 51 of 200

Re: Moto G6 Battery issue

2018-07-03, 20:25 PM

All these people can't be wrong. Add me to the list of new G6 users which horrible battery life. Brand new phone bought from Best Buy. I have a T-Mobile micro cell, so the "poor signal" excuse isn't valid when the phone is getting a solid -65dbM. Stock install, no wild apps (and fact I only installed two apps, Sirius XM and Facebook- all notifications disabled).

On a full charge, the phone drops to around 80 percent WITHOUT EVEN BEING TOUCHED in less than 6 hours. For example, it was drained to full discharge and left on charge overnight, at 7:47AM taken off of charge. I left the phone sitting on my night table, at 4:15PM, down to 79 percent. This is without it being touched and the screen OFF. By 10 PM tonight it will be down to 50 percent. I have cycled the battery three times (you have to charge this thing everyday, barely lasts through 24 hours with spare use), and no improvement. Right off the charger, again, with ZERO use, within 20 minutes it drops 6 percent.

The battery life on this phone has been nothing but atrocious. My previous G5 would go a solid 4-5 days with my useage (very light, only a few texts a day and some YouTube videos) whereas the G6 basically has to be tethered to a wall wart. It's like an iPhone 3GS battery life.

I'd love to know what Lenovo is going to do, otherwise back to Best Buy it goes and I'll pick up a Blu at half the price. I get it that if one is a heavy user, expect to charge once or twice a day, but this is not acceptable for a phone with a supposed 3,000mah battery. Ideas anyone?

Options

5 Posts

07-07-2018

United States of America

8 Signins

104 Page Views

• Views: 104
  • Message 52 of 200

2018-07-07, 13:00 PM

You can add me to the list of people having battery issues as well.

The first MOTO G6 I bought from Amazon came with a completely dead battery which I thought was strange. I looked up the issue and apparently MOTO customer support says sometimes this happens with new phones from them so I just ignored the issue. Then when I started charging the phone the rapid charging appeared to not work properly it took about 3-4 hours to go from 0%-100% (used the charger that came in the box). Tried a different type c charger and I still had the same issue with charging. The next problem I experienced was that the battery drained about 10% an hour with little to no usuage. I also noticed that the back of the phone was always warm. I checked my apps to make sure nothing was running in the background and their was still the same issue.

So I returned the phone and got another one. I'm on my second MOTO G6 so far and this one works a bit better. The rapid battery charge feature works fine. The battery discharge is a little better but the battery life isn't really the greatest when compared to other budget phones I have owned like the Moto G4 Plus and Honor 7X. I always make sure to disable apps from running in the background and close un-used apps.

Overall I think its a great phone with the exception of the battery issue. I understand that the Moto G6 is a budget line phone so its battery wont be the same as a flag ship phone but something feels odd about the battery. It appears to me to be a software issue or something physical wrong with the phone battery or charging components.

I have updated the carrier IMEI in my moto profile so moto can track the issues.

Options

1 Posts

07-07-2018

India

11 Signins

102 Page Views

• Views: 102
  • Message 53 of 200

2018-07-07, 16:46 PM

Hello,

I ordered a Moto G6 from Amazon and I seem to be having a battery issue. Even for normal usage, the battery drain is quite unusual (about 1 percent drop for every 3-4 mins). I understand that initially, the device does a lot of syncing and downloading stuff and hence the fast battery drain. But even after this, I am facing the same problem. I have tried all the solutions mentioned in this thread (reboot, battery calibration, etc.) But nothing seems to correct the issue. Currently, my battery is 70% charged and it says 7 hours left, which sure seems ridiculous. I have mentioned my personal details about the mobile. Please help me out. 

Vijay

Options

12 Posts

07-08-2018

United States of America

17 Signins

170 Page Views

• Views: 170
  • Message 54 of 200

2018-07-08, 5:04 AM

Same thing happened with my G6, purchased from Best Buy. Out of the box the phone was COMPLETELY dead. Almost thought it was DOA. I have ONLY used the included OEM charger and cable. The phone did charge up fully in about 1 and a half hours. But the battery life on this phone plain SUCKS. With very light use, it's dead in 12-14 hours. I am not in a poor signal area for T-Mobile, in fact, full bars most of the time. I have an iPhone 6S on AT&T from my work and even with constant syncing to an Exchange server and AT&T's less than stellar signal, it goes 2-3 days between "fill ups".

I have disabled all the garbage apps I don't use. I've done the battery calibration as instructed. The phone loses charge at about 1 percent every 15 minutes sitting idle on a desk with the screen turned off. This is a problem and Lenovo needs to address is. Since I'm past the 14 day return policy at Best Buy, I'm stuck with this phone which, if it didn't have to live connected to a charger, is a good piece of hardware, but either they have some dud batteries, or some bad software. After two weeks the situation hasn't changed and has been the same since the out of box dead battery symptom.

Lenovo, your customers (including me) are having phones that can't stay charged and what is going to be done to address this issue? I really want to like this phone but it's battery life is way beyond subpar, it's horrible. Like my first Android experience, this phone drains it's battery just sitting there doing nothing without anyone touching it like a motorhome drinks gas. Was my purchase a mistake?

Options

12 Posts

07-08-2018

United States of America

17 Signins

170 Page Views

• Message 55 of 200

2018-07-08, 5:11 AM

I have added my IMEI to my profile as well. I hope Lenovo is going to be proactive and find out what is going on. The G4 I had previously was amazing and lasted almost a solid 5 days between charges and I never worried about "DBS" (dead battery syndrome). Should have kept it I guess.

Options

2 Posts

06-23-2018

India

4 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 56 of 200

2018-07-08, 11:26 AM

Yes
I am using the original charger,
No, it doesn't show the turbocharging symbol.

Tried hard resetting the device, wasn't of any help.

The IMEI number [Removed]

-Edited for privacy.

Options

2 Posts

07-09-2018

United States of America

2 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 57 of 200

2018-07-09, 22:00 PM
Yytina you were the only one with the real solution went out and bought a cheap charger cable and it works perfectly thanks yytina
Options

2 Posts

07-09-2018

United States of America

2 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 58 of 200

2018-07-09, 22:02 PM

Thanks yytina

Options

12 Posts

07-08-2018

United States of America

17 Signins

170 Page Views

• Message 59 of 200

2018-07-10, 2:26 AM

No solution for the rest of us. Doesn't matter what charger is used, this phone's battery drain is hideous: within 4 hours it drops almost 15-20 percent without even being used or the screen being lit, with no extraneous apps running. Even turning the "battery saver" on makes no difference. Within 24 hours it's dead with no use. It's like it has a "leech" in it. Doesn't matter to me that it charges up to 100 percent with "turbo charge" if it's completely flat without even being touched.

Hello lenovo, any updates for us with these duds? is it hardware? what is the real "solution"? - Edited "caps" 

-Swaraj

Options

5996 Posts

12-04-2017

India

1170 Signins

77328 Page Views

• Views: 77328
  • Message 60 of 200

2018-07-10, 9:34 AM

wrote:

No solution for the rest of us. Doesn't matter what charger is used, this phone's battery drain is hideous: within 4 hours it drops almost 15-20 percent without even being used or the screen being lit, with no extraneous apps running. Even turning the "battery saver" on makes no difference. Within 24 hours it's dead with no use. It's like it has a "leech" in it. Doesn't matter to me that it charges up to 100 percent with "turbo charge" if it's completely flat without even being touched.

Hi APCO25,

Thank you for updating your profile. We see some mixed results for battery life, with good days and bad days. It looks like you had fairly good battery life, then conducted a series of resets, which would cause additional battery drain. Since the latest reset your battery life appears to be steadily improving, even beyond what you had before the resets. (Which might suggest they were a good idea!) Are you seeing better battery life over the past five days?

We do see that you have not consistently been charging the device to 100%. That does help. Here are a few tips to extend the battery life, hope this helps. 

If you are having continued issues with battery life, please post some screenshots of the battery screen, with details of what's using the power. 

Regards,

Swaraj

Moto Support

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms