Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G6 / Moto G6 Plus / Moto G6 Play
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

01-28-2018

United States of America

4 Signins

36 Page Views

• Views: 36
  • Message 111 of 148

Moto G6 Play poor headphone audio quality - confirmed on multiple devices.

2018-10-15, 23:54 PM

I've bought two G6 Plays in the past 4 months for my kids. Both phones have the audio issue. This definitely is not an isolated incident. It's unsettling to see the lack of concern by Motorola in dealing with this problem.

I didn't want to send the phones in for a replacement (someone else's problematic phone) so I decided to get Bluetooth headphones for the kids. I'm happy to report the audio quality through Bluetooth is fine.

Options

2 Posts

01-28-2018

United States of America

4 Signins

36 Page Views

• Views: 36
  • Message 112 of 148

Re: Moto G6 Play poor headphone audio quality - confirmed on multiple devices.

2018-10-16, 18:13 PM

That's sketchy. The previous response was that they were able to reproduce the poor audio. Now you come along and say it can't be reproduced.

Options

18 Posts

10-06-2018

United States of America

45 Signins

192 Page Views

• Views: 192
  • Message 113 of 148

2018-10-16, 20:22 PM

After having received 3 warranty replacement phones I can tell you that they are truly like new and seem to be problem free, except for the horrible audio quality issue we've all been writing and complaining about and begging for help to no avail from Motorola for months now, that is. All 4 of the phones I have had were defective with the same problem. It is said that deeds speak louder than words, but I suspect that nothing we say or do is going to motovate [sic] Motorola to do anything about the problem and do right by its customers. Sadly, I have more time and energy than money. So, now that I am again back to using the old phone the Moto g6 Play was intended to upgrade from as I have been before and after each return, I suppose it's time I get back with the program and continue letting Motorola replace them and then return them as rapidly as I possibly can until they do something about this issue they have let go on for way too long. 

To Motorola's credit, turnaround time is very fast for warranty replacement on the "free" option, i.e they email you a prepaid Fedex Overnight label and, in my case(s) have shipped out a replacement 24 to 48 hours after they received the returned device. The whole process is streamlined, efficient and would be relatively painless if only one wasn't, in our case, reasonably certain to receive another defective product. I returned one of the defective replacements, i.e. dropped it off at the local Fedex store using yet another prepaid (by Motorola) express label the very same day I received it, as soon as I could verify the same defect in the latest phone. So, if you do the math  you will see that I had, if only briefly, 3 separate defective Moto g6 Plays within the span of about a week.

There is also an expedited replacement option that involves you using a card to make a deposit so that Motorola will ship out your replacement immediately without waiting to receive your return. It wasn't an option the 1st time and after that it was clear that replacements weren't going to solve the problem.

I kept returning them and will go back to it as a form of protest that may or may not ultimately be heard. For certain it is costing Motorola the price of Fedex Overnight both ways for every return as well as other costs. It costs me a little time and effort. Besides, I have much more time on my hands since I can't use the phone for the main things I bought it for: playing music, TV shows and movies. So, I'll get some exercise I wouldn't get if I could use it to binge media as I walk or ride my bike to the Fedex store for every return. I've been sitting on the latest defective phone, and on my backside, for way too long. What else can a poor boy do?  

Options

11 Posts

07-13-2018

United States of America

41 Signins

381 Page Views

• Views: 381
  • Message 114 of 148

2018-10-17, 18:11 PM

I installed the September 2018 update today.  I was initially enthused to find that some previously-problematic songs no longer cut out during quiet passages.  However, further testing proved that many other tracks still cut out, even with the volume over 50%. 

So it seems like there was a slight improvement, but not enough to consider this issue resolved (or even addressed).

I have not yet tried exchanging my device.  Based on the experiences of others in this thread, I have zero confidence that a replacement would fix the problem.

Moto, I love everything about this phone... except the horrible audio!  For now I'll go back to my Bluetooth DAC, until I find a replacement (non-Moto) phone.

Options

20 Posts

03-03-2015

United States of America

16 Signins

153 Page Views

• Views: 153
  • Message 115 of 148

2018-10-17, 18:26 PM

Troutface, thanks for the tip. It's pretty obvious they're not going to do anything about this at Motorola, so I went ahead and ordered bluetooth earbuds from Monoprice. I'll let everyone know if it fixes the problem for me.

Options

20 Posts

03-03-2015

United States of America

16 Signins

153 Page Views

• Message 116 of 148

2018-10-23, 2:10 AM

Ok, just got my bluetooth earbuds. Happy to say the low-volume cutout problem is completely gone. My advice to anyone on the forum who wants a fix on this is just get some bluetooth earbuds or headphones. I'm really liking these; they're the Monoprice Large-Driver Bluetooth Wireless Earphones. Only $15 and sound great (you might have to get bigger tips, and screw them into your ears the right way). 

Options

8 Posts

07-30-2018

United States of America

11 Signins

52 Page Views

• Views: 52
  • Message 117 of 148

2018-10-23, 2:32 AM

Yes, Bluetooth does work, but the FM radio function of the phone is completely useless without a functional headphone jack. Also, there are a lot of cars (like mine) without Bluetooth stereos, so it is aggravating that I can't use my phone to listen to music through the audio jack with any sort of sound quality. This has gone on long enough. Motorola/Lenovo has obviously abandoned support for this phone. I will never buy another of their products (phone, desktop, laptop, tablet, whatever). I will not recommend their products to anyone and will give them negative reviews wherever and whenever I can because of this experience.

Options

20 Posts

03-03-2015

United States of America

16 Signins

153 Page Views

• Message 118 of 148

2018-10-23, 2:59 AM

It is possible to use the FM radio function with Bluetooth headphones. All you need to do is plug some earbuds into the headphone jack while continuing to listen to the Bluetooth device.

I do take your point on the inability to use the phone in a non-Bluetooth car. Personally I just use a flash drive with music on it when I drive, but I can see how people would want to play music through their phone to the car speakers. Lenova really dropped the ball here.

Options

18 Posts

10-06-2018

United States of America

45 Signins

192 Page Views

• Message 119 of 148

2018-10-23, 3:21 AM

Hello. 

Sorry to hear everyone is still having issues. The September 1 security patch and update that contains "stability improvements" that they don't explain fixed the audio issues for  my 4th and hopefully last phone. It didn't become available for mine til a day after it did for yours. I also do not allow any automatic updates for system or apps, so didn't do it for another day after that. Didn't post til I had some time to check it out thoroughly. If anybody hasn't installed it yet, it's worth a try. Seems as if Tom was right about there being more than one audio issue with these phones if there's at least one person's that's still acting up. Oh. Almost forgot to mention that I was contacted by level 3 support by phone the evening I said I was going to resume returning the phones at Motorola's expense as frequently as I possibly could until they got this fixed. I am still in contact with Becky  who actually works in one of the support call centers here in the states, unlike the lovely folks on the other side of the world that I dealt with to return the first 3 phones. I will press to find out what was done that fixed mine and to see if I can find out any more about whatever else they're doing to resolve issues for others and post again. Listening to Pandora as I type. Mama always told me it's the squeeky wheel that gets the grease. Best of luck.

Options

18 Posts

10-06-2018

United States of America

45 Signins

192 Page Views

• Message 120 of 148

2018-10-23, 3:45 AM

Forgot to add that, though it did fix the issues I was having, best I can tell this was some sort of workaround and that they are still looking into things.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms