06-08-2018

US

8 Signins

111 Page Views

• Views: 111
  • Message 1 of 3

Moto G6 Wi-Fi calling loudness

2018-06-09, 0:24 AM

I am in the process of comparing Wi-Fi calling on a moto x2 using Google Voice Wi-Fi calling beta, a moto g5+ using Republic Wireless (designed with Wi-Fi calling preferred), and a moto g6 using Google Fi with Wi-Fi calling preferred set by Fi support on request. With the volume on these phones set to max, the loudness you hear when holding the phone to your ear is about the same for a cellular call on these phones, adequate but could be a bit louder. For Wi-Fi calling, it is a different story. The moto g2 with GV and the moto g5+ with RW have about the same loudness as the cellular calls. The moto g6 is much louder. I have tested BT, USB, Android Auto, and the headphone jack and all are working perfectly. So far this is the only issue I have found. MY IMEI is registered with Motorola and is in my forum profile. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Options

6 Posts

06-08-2018

US

8 Signins

111 Page Views

• Views: 111
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Moto G6 Wi-Fi calling loudness

2018-06-09, 15:56 PM

Additional tests suggest the problem is caused by the Dolby Audio app on the moto g6. The RW app provides for manual switching between Wi-Fi and cellular during a call. On Fi you have to turn off Wi-Fi to force cellular calling and turn on Airplane mode, then re-enable Wi-Fi to force Wi-Fi calling. Otherwise, both use T-Mobile for cellular calling in my area. After verifying that the moto g6 is compatible with the RW network, I put the RW SIM in the moto g6 and found a place on my front porch where the strength of the Wi-Fi and cellular signals allowed for manual switching using the RW app. With the Dolby app set to Voice and turned on or off,  I called the time recording at the Naval Observatory in DC multiple times. When off, the Wi-Fi call was only slightly louder than the cellular call. When on, the Wi-Fi call was much louder than the cellular call. The Dolby Audio app has a Volume Leveler switch which is on by default. Turning it off made only a slight difference. My workaround is to put the Dolby Audio app in my Audio Video folder along with Google Play Music, Prime Music, YouTube, YouTube TV, Prime Video etc. When I want to watch a video or listen to music, I can turn on Dolby audio and select the appropriate tab. Otherwise, I will leave Dolby Audio off. VoLTE is not supported on either RW/T-Mobile or Fi/T-Mobile. It would be interesting to see how Dolby Audio works with a VoLTE. Otherwise, I like this moto g6.

Options

19095 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2338 Signins

57502 Page Views

• Views: 57502
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Moto G6 Wi-Fi calling loudness

2018-06-11, 18:11 PM

Interesting details -- thanks for posting. Glad you like the phone. 

Doesn't sound like an actual issue, unless I'm not understanding, right?

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete