Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit our eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G6 / Moto G6 Plus / Moto G6 Play
All Forum Topics
Options

43 Posts

07-06-2019

United States of America

71 Signins

372 Page Views

• Views: 372
  • Message 41 of 77

Re: Moto G6 only charges in fast boot mode

2019-11-24, 14:51 PM

wrote:

This is straight up a firmware/software issue.

If you can charge when the OS hasnt booted up, then when it does, it cant charge..... its most certainly not a hardware issue.

Anyone reading this who still has this issue dont waste your money trying to get it repaired through hardware.

I am not so sure about that

Why would the software not allow the phone to charge ?

I would say most likely because it has a hardware problem As soon as the hardware problem is fixed I am sure it will charge normally without changing any firmware/software

I have seen a video where a guy is fixing this exact problem It's in spanish so it's hard for me to understand but from the area he was working on it has something to do with the over voltage protection circuit

He added a jumper to bypass the problem and it was charging normally after that

Motorola is not going to issue a firmware change for a hardware problem because it cannot be fixed with firmware

From what I can understand these newer phones are very sensitive the parts are very small and can be easily broken by dropping or bending the phone They are also sensitive to voltage spikes especially from car chargers

Also I am not so fond of this new usb c type port as the pins are much closer together and can posibly short out due to the way it's plugged in or some debris or some water damage

In any case I would not be so quick to blame the firmware when there could be many hardware issues possible that would cause the problem

Options

4 Posts

11-29-2019

United States of America

3 Signins

56 Page Views

• Views: 56
  • Message 42 of 77

2019-11-29, 20:10 PM

has anyone found a solution to this problem? I have the exact same issue. the phone was working fine, and then suddenly it is unable to charge. on trying to charge when powered off, the lighting symbol appears and then battery percentage, but then it powers off and begins an endless cycle as described. i have entered recovery mode, safe mode, deleted all my apps, factory reset the device on three occasions, and the device only charges in fastboot mode. the charging port and cable are fine. I am unsure of how some people on this thread have managed to charge their phone to such high percentages in just fastboot mode, as my device exits this mode after about 10 minutes of charging.

the support on this thread has gone dead from all supposed support people, and whatsmore, motorola seems to offer no sort of option to send it for repair in the uk, so i cannot send it to be fixed. its very frustrating that there does not look like a way for me to get my phone fixed.

i am very disappointed as i have used the moto g range since it first came out, and now i just wont be able to bring myself to purchase another motorola device in future

Options

4 Posts

11-08-2019

United States of America

6 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 43 of 77

2019-11-29, 20:14 PM

So, I haven't found a "real" solution, and I cannot possibly imagine what the hell is going on inside of this phone, but I've discovered that if I:

1. plug the phone in
  2. hold the phone face up and
  3. twist the phone gently at the corners, with my left thumb at the top left corner (near the selfie camera), and my right thumb at the bottom right corner

it charges just fine, including TurboPower, etc. Having discovered this trick, I'm more inclined to think it's a hardware issue after all, I just can't imagine what hardware issue would prevent charging only in certain software states, Really weird.

Options

4 Posts

11-29-2019

United States of America

3 Signins

56 Page Views

• Views: 56
  • Message 44 of 77

2019-11-29, 20:35 PM
whaat that works on my phone too, thats so so so weird, how on earth did you discover that in the first place? i followed your instructions and really i cant believe thats actually worked,

i will post again if this continues to work for me, its not really acceptable for such a janky fix but considering the rest of the phone is fine i might try and make it work :/
Options

4 Posts

11-08-2019

United States of America

6 Signins

38 Page Views

• Message 45 of 77

2019-11-29, 21:13 PM
Haha, so it started with a frustrated smack actually, then I noticed it had started charging and continued to charge, so, having experience in hardware stuff, I started experimenting.

Even with my knowledge of hardware, I still just can't imagine what could possibly be going on in there that causes this issue, but I was stoked to find at least a temporary fix that's seemed to continue working for awhile!
Options

43 Posts

07-06-2019

United States of America

71 Signins

372 Page Views

• Message 46 of 77

2019-11-29, 22:19 PM

Most likely it's an intermittent connection so when you bend it a certain way than it makes the connection

This may work for a while until the gap in the connection becomes too big or you bend it too much and break something else

These phones are very sensitive to drops or bends Just google "touch disease" and see what you get

I am not saying that it has the same problem I am just saying I would not be surprised if it's something similar

Options

4 Posts

11-08-2019

United States of America

6 Signins

38 Page Views

• Message 47 of 77

2019-11-29, 22:31 PM

Yeah, but an intermittent connection to what? It charges just fine in recovery mode every time without any intervention, and the battery doesn't discharge rapidly or anything. I'm just not sure what connection could control charging in certain software modes. And it's also odd that once I twist it, it never stops charging, it's not like it has to stay twisted, it begins charging properly and works until I unplug it.

Options

43 Posts

07-06-2019

United States of America

71 Signins

372 Page Views

• Message 48 of 77

2019-11-29, 22:41 PM

That's a good question

Unfortunately no one has the answer to that at this point

When and if someone finds the answer this problem will be fixed in the meantime we have to use any workarounds we can find that work

Options

1 Posts

12-19-2019

United States of America

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 49 of 77

2019-12-19, 2:13 AM

Woow! Thanks! I tried this while reading that sentence with the charger plugged in not working. It immediately started charging!!! Spent 2 days trying alcohol, qtips n toothpicks and heating the phone. The charge from fastboot was working.

This blatantly screams hardware issue. And so I go phone shopping...

Thanks again

Options

2 Posts

12-23-2019

Colombia

2 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 50 of 77

2019-12-23, 2:13 AM

Thanks a lot. I still can't believe it. After that flip my phone is now charging. I tried different recommendations but my G6 was only able to charge in the fast boot screen to 60-65%.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms