Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G Phonesmoto g7 play / moto g7 / moto g7 power / moto g7 plus
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

09-02-2019

Switzerland

1 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 21 of 43

Re: Moto g7 power headphone jack not compatible with other headphones

2019-09-02, 12:28 PM

wrote:

Hi All,

Sorry to learn about the ongoing issue you have been facing. Please do not hijack the thread with other issues. For those who are facing G7 Power headphone jack issue-- please update your profile and let us know the below points; And for other issues, like speaker-- kindly create a new thread for the same.  It causes clutter on the site and makes it harder for us to follow an issue. 

1. Please confirm --from when are you facing this issue?
  2. Have you tested with Motorola Original headset that came along with the box? If yes, what is the result?
  3. What are the other headsets you have tested with-- could you help us with make and model/picture of the headsets you have tried? 
  4. Could you also confirm if the third-party headsets work on other device but not on Motorola?
  5. Do any headsets work on your device? This will help us narrow down if its Jack or headset?

Regards,

Swaraj

Motorola Support

I have the same problem with my Sennheiser headphones. The jack works sometimes if I push the headphones against the back of it and pull them out a little bit, but even then the sound is only mono, and the headphone controls don't work.

1. I started having this issue about a week after I got the phone.

2. There was no original Moto headset in my box...

3. I've tried it with Sennheiser Momentum 2 on-ear headphones. They still work without issue on all other devices I own. I also tried it with some in-box Samsung headphones I got with my last phone.

4. Yes, the headset works on all other devices I've tried so far.

5. As I've said, no other headsets work. They only work partially if they're not inserted completely into the jack and the pin is pushed against the back part.

I'd be really happy about a solution for this - I'm an avid music listener, and it just isn't fun anymore like this. I'd happily replace the jack myself or something along those lines if there was an option to do so.

Options

13 Posts

07-01-2019

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

38 Signins

110 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 110
  • Message 22 of 43

2019-09-03, 10:29 AM

Based on all of the feed back I have seen along with my own issues I would ascertain it is a design issue.

One person expressed that adding an extension lead to the headset made the headset work, another bending the plug. All this is doing is changing the resistance in the cables and headset thus the phone takes this as within its own specification, which appears to be different to all other phones and probably the industry standard. I have measured the differences in headsets and would sumise that the Motorola phones is just too close to the tolerences and therefore fail too easy.

Obviously I do not know how they choose to set the tolerances on the headsets to work but all points to design issue not complying to the industry standard.

About time they fixed it and replaced the phones.

Options

7 Posts

04-02-2019

India

12 Signins

74 Page Views

• Views: 74
  • Message 23 of 43

2019-09-03, 10:46 AM

Hi, two months ago, Motorola sent an upgrade or update. It took nearly half hour for the update to complete. After that, wow, the headphone jack problem is gone. I started this forum, and I thought I should let everyone know that it's not a hardware issue or manufacturing defect. It's about the software or firmware whatever.

Otherwise the phone Moto g6 power is really nice. I am quite proud of it and it functions.

Options

13 Posts

07-01-2019

38 Signins

110 Page Views

• Message 24 of 43

2019-09-03, 16:24 PM

I have just re-tested my failing headset and yes it does now work. So it was a design/development issue. At least now its fixed hopefully across all of the moto range as mine was a G7 Power.

Great work Moto/Lenovo. I just wish they had sent an alert out to us to say its fixed.

Options

2 Posts

09-14-2019

United States of America

5 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 25 of 43

2019-09-14, 15:22 PM

Hello, joined just because I found this thread.  We just bought new motor g7 power phones and I have the same issue out of the box.  I would be interested in finding out the particular software update that fixed this issue.

We had previously Moto x4 and never had a problen with any headphones.

When I looked at the Android system bit was all up to date, but maybe there is a firmware bupdate I should find?  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Options

13 Posts

07-01-2019

38 Signins

110 Page Views

• Message 26 of 43

2019-09-14, 16:35 PM

This is the version I have that has fixed my headset issues.

Hope it helps.

Options

1 Posts

09-23-2019

United States of America

1 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 27 of 43

2019-09-23, 1:47 AM

I have the same problem: apparently the jack is not working. But I  have installed Lesser AudioSwitch, and when I forcefully choose to use headphone jack for audio output I am getting the sound.

Options

1 Posts

01-01-2019

United States of America

2 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 28 of 43

2019-10-07, 11:13 AM

I totally understand! I just got the Moto G7 Power last week, and every set of earbuds I have in the house will not go into the jack more than 1/4-1/2 way! So annoying! I shouldn't have to go buy special headphones.. and none came in the box when I got this phone at Metro PCS in Michigan. This sucks. I thought I was getting a great phone.. I had the Moto E5+ before this, and LOVED that phone. No issues whatsoever. Now I've got this and I can't seem to find any headphones that will work! 

Options

3 Posts

10-10-2019

United States of America

1 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 29 of 43

2019-10-10, 0:45 AM

Same exact problem. Just pulled a brand new g7 power out of the box and not a single pair of headphones will work reliably with them. I can *occasionally* get one to work by twisting them to just the right position, but any movement makes them stop--which pretty much defeats the purpose of headphones.

I was having a similar problem with the g5 but mine was a couple years old and I assumed I must have damaged the jack somehow in my pocket. Clearly not the case with this brand new phone. 

And, yes, I've tested 3 different headphones which all work fine in other phones/devices.

Options

4 Posts

12-23-2016

8 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 30 of 43

2019-10-31, 10:50 AM

I have just bought a Moto G7 Power phone in the UK from Amazon

My Plantronics C215 corded headset does not work with it

- this mono headset - with the usual 4-contact 3.5mm jack - has worked with every other phone I have 

Any suggestions ?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms