US

5 Signins

77 Page Views

• Views: 77
  • Message 1 of 6

Motorola G6 No Longer Makes Call, Texts, or Mobile Data After Update

2019-12-21, 18:09 PM

I have a Motorola G6 that I updated to the latest Android 9 version (hardware, software versions listed below). After that update it no longer makes / accepts phone calls or texts. It no longer has mobile data. It is able to connect to WiFi and Bluetooth devices, just not the cellular radio connection.

Steps taken that have not worked so far:
I have tried turning Airplane mode on and off. I have tried "Reset WiFi, mobile & Bluetooth". I have tried app preference reset. I have tried a factory reset.

I went to AT&T and got a new sim card. The tech at the store said it was weird because with the new sim card in, he could see that I had a Moto G6 on their AT&T cellular network, but I could still not use the cellular radio (call, text, data).

I have entered  *#*#4636#*#* and toggled radio power to on. It then toggles to off in ~60 seconds.

I have called Motorola and stepped through the troubleshooting tree. They suggested taking it to a local Motorola authorized repair shop or sending it in to them.

Does anyone have any advice on fixing this on my own before I pay for a fix that I am fairly sure is related to the software update? Thank you!

Phone info:
Model: G6
Hardware Version: PVT2
Model Number (SKU): XT1925-6

Android Verion: 9
Android Security Patch level: October 1, 2019
BaseBand Version: M450_21.29.10.88I ALI_NA_CUST
Kernel Version: 3.18.120-perf-gca2d425-00011-gd0e78b0 #1 Mon Sep 30 20:44:32 CDT 2019
Build Number: PPSS29.118-15-11-2

Options

1574 Posts

04-04-2018

IN

277 Signins

17029 Page Views

• Views: 17029
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Motorola G6 No Longer Makes Call, Texts, or Mobile Data After Update

2019-12-23, 9:20 AM

wrote:

I have a Motorola G6 that I updated to the latest Android 9 version (hardware, software versions listed below). After that update it no longer makes / accepts phone calls or texts. It no longer has mobile data. It is able to connect to WiFi and Bluetooth devices, just not the cellular radio connection.

Steps taken that have not worked so far:
I have tried turning Airplane mode on and off. I have tried "Reset WiFi, mobile & Bluetooth". I have tried app preference reset. I have tried a factory reset.

I went to AT&T and got a new sim card. The tech at the store said it was weird because with the new sim card in, he could see that I had a Moto G6 on their AT&T cellular network, but I could still not use the cellular radio (call, text, data).

I have entered  *#*#4636#*#* and toggled radio power to on. It then toggles to off in ~60 seconds.

I have called Motorola and stepped through the troubleshooting tree. They suggested taking it to a local Motorola authorized repair shop or sending it in to them.

Does anyone have any advice on fixing this on my own before I pay for a fix that I am fairly sure is related to the software update? Thank you!

Phone info:
Model: G6
Hardware Version: PVT2
Model Number (SKU): XT1925-6

Android Verion: 9
Android Security Patch level: October 1, 2019
BaseBand Version: M450_21.29.10.88I ALI_NA_CUST
Kernel Version: 3.18.120-perf-gca2d425-00011-gd0e78b0 #1 Mon Sep 30 20:44:32 CDT 2019
Build Number: PPSS29.118-15-11-2

Hi drypun,

Sorry to know about this and thanks for trying. As you have tried all the basic troubleshooting steps, I would suggest you perform a Factory Data Reset by taking back up of your contacts and data. If the issue still persists, a repair would be the next option. Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Suman

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

2 Posts

12-23-2019

IN

2 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 3 of 6

2019-12-23, 12:05 PM

It seems that even I am facing the same issue. I found out that suddenly I am getting No Service indicator for both my sim cards. When I insert this sim card in another phone, everything seems to be working fine. Hence i conclude that there is some issue with the phone and not my sim cards.

Secondly, I tried network settings reset as well as factory reset. But no Luck!!

The strange part is that I can see my carrier's name in the network settings and so again I am concluding that its nothing related to SIM card not being detected. Issue is with registering the respective network which seems that it should be software related issue and not hardware.

I am planning to visit the service center soon enough. Will post the updates on this as it seems many people have started facing this issue now.

Options

1574 Posts

04-04-2018

IN

277 Signins

17029 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2019-12-24, 6:19 AM

wrote:

It seems that even I am facing the same issue. I found out that suddenly I am getting No Service indicator for both my sim cards. When I insert this sim card in another phone, everything seems to be working fine. Hence i conclude that there is some issue with the phone and not my sim cards.

Secondly, I tried network settings reset as well as factory reset. But no Luck!!

The strange part is that I can see my carrier's name in the network settings and so again I am concluding that its nothing related to SIM card not being detected. Issue is with registering the respective network which seems that it should be software related issue and not hardware.

I am planning to visit the service center soon enough. Will post the updates on this as it seems many people have started facing this issue now.

Hi dvora,

Sorry to know about this and thanks for reporting this. May I know which network provider SIM cards are you using? 

Regards,

Suman

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

2 Posts

12-23-2019

IN

2 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 5 of 6

2019-12-26, 10:13 AM

I am using Airtel,Jio and also tried Vodafone sim cards.

Also when i submitted my phone to service center, they told that there is issue with the main board which will cost upto 10k bucks.

This is totally ridiculous that many people have started facing this issue after the software update and what they are suggesting is to change the main board. (Does this mean that those people facing the issue now have damaged thir main boards at the same time? Ridiculous!)

I need a proper resolution on this asap.

Options

1574 Posts

04-04-2018

IN

277 Signins

17029 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2019-12-27, 4:51 AM

wrote:

I am using Airtel,Jio and also tried Vodafone sim cards.

Also when i submitted my phone to service center, they told that there is issue with the main board which will cost upto 10k bucks.

This is totally ridiculous that many people have started facing this issue after the software update and what they are suggesting is to change the main board. (Does this mean that those people facing the issue now have damaged thir main boards at the same time? Ridiculous!)

I need a proper resolution on this asap.

Hi dvora,

Sorry to know about this. Kindly submit your device to our repair center and share the Job Sheet at apsocial@motorola.com for further assistance. Once received the details, our team will escalate your case to the concerned team for further assistance. They will take it from there.

Regards,

Suman

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save