GB

8 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 1 of 23

NFC stopped working

2019-10-28, 9:58 AM

Hello,

I use Google Pay which in turn use NFC almost on a daily basis.

Last week i did not use but i had the System Software Update to compile number: PPWS29.116-20-11 during the week. I'm not sure if this is related, but the bottom line is that when tried to use Google Pay last Saturday 26 Oct, it did not work, and it is not working since then.

I believe the problem is with the NFC reader and not with the app as i tried to pair my phone via NFC to other devices and it did not work, and NFC/RFID tag reader I installed did not detect any RFID/NFC item, while it worked without issue with other devices.

NFC is turned ON and i have already restarted my phone.

Thanks,

Tiago

Options

66 Posts

08-26-2019

AU

101 Signins

1361 Page Views

• Views: 1361
  • Message 2 of 23

Re: NFC stopped working

2019-12-01, 6:54 AM

I'm having a similar issue with my G6 recently, although it's a different model from Tiago_Loureiro's as I can tell from his security update version.

Also in my case, it's slightly different from the O/P's, as my NFC does work sometimes, but not other times. It's become hit & miss, so I cannot rely on it anymore. When it faults, a reboot fixes it, but you can't be rebooting every other time you want to pay for something or get on a bus!

I rolled back to a previous version of Google Pay which I'd had no issues with previously, but unfortunately that did not fix the issue.

Surely we cannot be the only two people having issues with the NFC? Some troubleshooting steps would be appreciated.

Options

1824 Posts

04-04-2018

IN

303 Signins

18819 Page Views

• Views: 18819
  • Message 3 of 23

2019-12-02, 6:43 AM

Hi all,

Thanks for posting and letting us know. 

Tiago_Loureiro, looks like there might be an issue with the NFC reader (hardware), I would suggest going for a repair, however, I would suggest you and Scrambow, both check your device in Safe Mode and see how it goes. Let me know!

Regards,
Suman

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

66 Posts

08-26-2019

AU

101 Signins

1361 Page Views

• Message 4 of 23

2019-12-02, 6:59 AM

Hi 

Options

1824 Posts

04-04-2018

IN

303 Signins

18819 Page Views

• Message 5 of 23

2019-12-02, 7:22 AM

wrote:

Hi 

Hi Scrambow,

We're always here to assist you :smileyhappy:

Regards,

Suman

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

2 Posts

10-28-2019

GB

8 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 6 of 23

2019-12-02, 8:40 AM

Thanks,

Safe mode is no help, NFC still appears to not be working.

I've seen in other places a suggestion to clear the cache but my build does not have that option on the Boot options when i restart in developer mode.

I am still not sure if this is software or hardware related: the reason is, during the week i got the OS Upgrade in my phone i happened to not use NFC (Google Pay) for a few days before i realized it was not working: it would have been more obvious of software failure if i upgraded and on that same day i had tried to use it and failed.

Still...my plan is to perform a Hard Reset through the christmas season where I have more time to deal with that, and see if it fixes the issue.

Options

66 Posts

08-26-2019

AU

101 Signins

1361 Page Views

• Message 7 of 23

2019-12-05, 9:01 AM

Tiago_Loureiro, not sure, this might be what the other thread meant about clearing the cache:

Open Settings, then tap "Apps & notifications"

Tap the magnifying glass icon near the top right, to open the search box, and start typing: NFC service

As soon as you see the NFC service app appear below, tap it, and then you can clear its cache in the usual way.

Agent_Suman, today my NFC failed again as I was trying to make a purchase, so this time instead of rebooting, I toggled the NFC switch off and on again, as another user had suggested, and voila, it worked, even without the store having to restart the transaction (thus proving it's definitely not a store terminal issue, nor a credit card issue).

I think this goes a long way to proving it's a device issue, rather than a Google Pay app issue, so does this suggest to you that there is a bug, and if so, how to report this?

Options

1824 Posts

04-04-2018

IN

303 Signins

18819 Page Views

• Message 8 of 23

2019-12-17, 6:31 AM

wrote:

Tiago_Loureiro, not sure, this might be what the other thread meant about clearing the cache:

Open Settings, then tap "Apps & notifications"

Tap the magnifying glass icon near the top right, to open the search box, and start typing: NFC service

As soon as you see the NFC service app appear below, tap it, and then you can clear its cache in the usual way.

Agent_Suman, today my NFC failed again as I was trying to make a purchase, so this time instead of rebooting, I toggled the NFC switch off and on again, as another user had suggested, and voila, it worked, even without the store having to restart the transaction (thus proving it's definitely not a store terminal issue, nor a credit card issue).

I think this goes a long way to proving it's a device issue, rather than a Google Pay app issue, so does this suggest to you that there is a bug, and if so, how to report this?

Hi Scrambow,

Glad to know that it worked. Allow me some time to check with the concerned team. I will get back to you if we need a bug report for this.

Regards,

Suman

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

5 Posts

05-07-2020

AU

6 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 9 of 23

Re:NFC stopped working

2020-05-07, 11:19 AM

Was a solution found to this problem?

My the NFC on my Moto G6 Plus has suddenly stopped working. 

I have NFC turned on, and the symbol is displayed on my notification line at the top of the screen.

There is no response to any NFC event, credit card readers, public transport card, or attempted beam transfers.

Turning NFC off/on just prior to trying to use it also does nothing.

Device Moto G6 Plus (XT1926-5)

PPWS29.116-11-20

Options

1824 Posts

04-04-2018

IN

303 Signins

18819 Page Views

• Message 10 of 23

Re:NFC stopped working

2020-05-08, 7:47 AM

@ Clertus wrote:

Was a solution found to this problem?

My the NFC on my Moto G6 Plus has suddenly stopped working. 

I have NFC turned on, and the symbol is displayed on my notification line at the top of the screen.

There is no response to any NFC event, credit card readers, public transport card, or attempted beam transfers.

Turning NFC off/on just prior to trying to use it also does nothing.

Device Moto G6 Plus (XT1926-5)

PPWS29.116-11-20

Hi,

Sorry to know about this and thanks for reporting this. Please restart your device and perform a Clear Cache in your device. Go to Settings > Apps & notifications > App Info > select the apps > Storage > Clear Cache. 

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Suman

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete